Fan only works on highest setting - Corp_Jones
Hi, about 2 months ago my Nissan Sunny 1994 developed a strange problem, the fan only works on the highest setting (speed 4), speeds 1 - 3 do not work at all.

Pretty soon I'm going to need the fan working normally as my windows will start fogging up, I was hoping to fix this problem myself as I'm kind of short on money, any advice on what the problem could be would be very appreciated.

Also I was looking at other nissan sunny's on ebay and I've actually found one with the exact same problem but 1 year newer, maybe this is a common fault with this model?

Thank you

Mark

Fan only works on highest setting - Steve Pearce
Faulty resistor pack.
wow that was quick, thanks for that :)

I've tried looking in my haynes manual but I cant find anything associated with resistor pack, can you please tell me where it is located.

Thanks again
Fan only works on highest setting - scrapmetal
It will be located on the fan assembly somewhere behind the glovebox
Thanks, i'll try to find it.

One last question, any idea of the cheapest place to buy it from online.
Fan only works on highest setting - mfarrow
Nissan dealer will be about £35. Scrapyard either didn't have one for me or wanted the purchase of a complete motor unit.

Ignore Haynes. His method is to place the car on the driveway, then remove all parts into the garage until only the resistor pack remains on your drive. It's just two screws under the passenger side dash and a multiplug.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Fan only works on highest setting - scrapmetal
lol at mfarrow.

I wouldn't try to find a second hand one will most likely have same problems. buy new.
Fan only works on highest setting - McP
The heater resistor pack has failed on all 3 of our Nissans

Had a bit of a Google for you
You could try this from
www.datman.co.uk/techtips/index.htm

The bottom two heater fan speeds don't work on my SUNNY/VIOLET
Remove the resistor block from the heater casing and you will see the end of the coil is detached from its lug. Fit an M4 nut & bolt through the two pieces, and carefully re-install the block taking care not so bend the coils.

Worth a try?
You could try this from

snipquote

Thanks for the reply, I actually found that on my initial research but it sounded a bit dodgy to me, a bit like replacing a fuse with a piece of metal, I'm probably wrong about this though, my temptation is to get a used one if it looks ok, trying to keep the car running for as little as possible :)
Fan only works on highest setting - mfarrow

Won't work, different model entirely, these Sunny's have a credit card shaped resistor board with the resistance etched into them. Even if you fitted a new resistor yourself across the board you wouldn't make it past the slot in the fan casing.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Fan only works on highest setting - spikeyhead {p}
I do not recommend, only suggest [/Jaggers]

www.japarts.co.uk/shop/
--
I read often, only post occasionally