DVLA Car reg sales - cooling off period - paul2007
Hello, most embarrassed but will seek help.
Friday I bought a number plate for dad, for his birthday next month.
Got talking last night when I went ver to see him.
Well, I never knew this as he admired people registration. He would never have a private plate on his car as he felt he could be easily remembered by an irate motorist.

I've yet to receive the paperwork and I'm first named and father is the nominee, will DVLA accept my reasoning and cancel sale?
Thanks again :(
Btw, I don't want the plate as it will not suit my car as my car is not worth a lot.
DVLA Car reg sales - cooling off period - GroovyMucker
I should have thought that the distance-selling regs would apply, but I don't know.
DVLA Car reg sales - cooling off period - Doc
From DVLA:

(my bold)

The Terms and Conditions of Sale will be read to you by one of our sales agents when you have decided to purchase a DVLA Personalised Registration.

"You are about to enter into a legally binding contract with the Secretary of State for Transport. Please stop me at any time if anything is unclear.

The £80 assignment fee and VAT are included in the total price.

You have 12 months to assign the registration number to your chosen vehicle, but the entitlement period can be extended shortly before expiry upon application and payment of a fee.

If the vehicle to which this registration is to be assigned is not registered in your name you should let me have the name of the registered keeper of that vehicle so that I can include them as a nominee. After the contract is formed a nominee may only be supplied or changed upon application and payment of a fee.

The registration number can only be assigned to a vehicle, which is registered, or about to be registered in mainland Britain and which is an appropriate age to receive the registration number. At the time of assignment the vehicle must be licensed, of a testable type and have a test certificate in force, if applicable. Once you have assigned your number it may be transferred to another vehicle subject to the DVLA's transfer rules. It is an offence to mis-represent the registration number in any way.

If you have any doubts whatsoever about your choice of registration number, it is best to say so now before the contract is formed. If you are a private purchaser you have the right to cancel your contract within the next 10 days by applying in writing. There is no guarantee that a late cancellation application will be granted. If you are a business purchaser, you have no automatic right of cancellation.

Do you understand and accept the Terms and Conditions of Sale for the Registration number

I now confirm your contract with the Secretary of State for Transport for the Registration number."

Thank you both. I will write my letter now and look up the address.
You've probably thought of this, but it might be an idea to get proof of posting (free) just in case your letter gets lost: you'd then have some evidence if it gets lost in the system to help them exercise their discretion re a late application, should that be necessary.
Thank you - I was going to send it via recorded but will use that free service.

Final question - found several addresses, which one do I write to?
thank you again
I would think "Vehicle Customer Services (VCS) DVLA Swansea SA99 1AR", from the main website, but that's only because the reg site doesn't seem to have an address.

Maybe ring them to make sure.
I will ring them, thanks.
DVLA Car reg sales - cooling off period - Pugugly {P}
Might be worth speaking to your CC company as well.
DVLA Car reg sales - cooling off period - rtj70
All DVLA Swansea at the same site and wrong post code delays things a lot. They just rely on PO sorting mail before it gets delivered via the post codes.
Phone them and ask tomorrow if you can't find it. They are quite helpful.
Thank you very much, all of you.
I''ve been visiting this site for about 2 years but never bother with the message board. All I did was look for bargains and the 'car by car info'
Thanks again.
Thank you again.
Update.
Phoned and got e-mail address, sent email and next day they confirmed I'd get my money back.
:)
DVLA Car reg sales - cooling off period - Imagos
With the greatest respect Sir..

..but a strange comment from your father. Every registration mark is unique so what difference does it make if it's a cherished plate or a standard one?

An irate motorist could remember either so makes no odds at all surely?

And what could they do with that number? very little..

DVLA Car reg sales - cooling off period - Aprilia
I reckon its much easier to remember a plate that looks like a name or word than one which is random collection of characters.

With the number, a motorist could get your name and address.
DVLA Car reg sales - cooling off period - tintin01
I have read this before - that you can get someones name and address from knowing their number-plate. I don't see how it can be done - I presume, it copmes from the DVLA and isn't that covered by data protection legislation?
DVLA Car reg sales - cooling off period - Imagos
Hard work though, it's far easier just to follow you home if you have an altercation.
DVLA disclosing personal data

Do a search on the forum ---------------------------------------------------->

There was a debate on this a few weeks ago and the answer lies there