4x4 off roader - Sim-O
Hi All,
I am thinking about buying a 4x4, not to take the kids to school in but to (shock! horror!) go off roading!

I want to buy a good base vehicle to start with to get into it, and will be wanting to get the spanners out to modify it to improve it as time goes on.

I do not want to spend loads on the vehicle itself as i do not want to be worried about if the body gets a knock, just as long as the motor is ok and the chassis isn't full of rust and isn't going to be needed as an everyday motor so I was thinking of spending up to £1500/£2000.

I was thinking about a 3 door Discovery (as as far as I know they have a good reputation as an off roader), as it has a little more refinement than a defender (SWMBO will be getting involved to a certain extent, and she is used to a certain level of comfort) and will also need to take the kids sometimes, but would like some suggestions on other vehicles and what to look for when buying them.

Thanx in advance
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
4x4 off roader - Chad.R
Perhaps an older Hi-Lux double-cab or Surf may fit your requirements. Lot of info out there and various mods and "experts" available to do the work. Most of it can be DIY too if you're handy with a spanner.

4x4 off roader - nick
If you can find a sound one for that money an old Disco makes sense. Easy to work on (though you'll need to!) and cheapish bits with plenty of suppliers. But they do rust badly and for that money it's likely to be a shed. See any of the Land rover magazines. Until you mentioned comfort, I would have said an old 'Series' Landy, the cheapest way into off-roading. Series IIA or III are cheapest and £2000 should get you a very sound example. A doddle to work on, silly cheap bits, good fun and as tough as old boots.
4x4 off roader - Sim-O
I'm not scared of getting the spanners out, infact I want to work on it, as I can't do that on my/SWMBO cars as we need them everyday.
If the bodywork is a bit carp, that doesn't matter as long as it's not too bad, but needs a relativley sound engine and has a good chassis.
If it was just for me I would like a LR, but, comfort may be the wrong word, but a LR proper is too basic for SWMBO.
4x4 off roader - Mchenry
The small Suzukis are great because they're so small and light. They go easily where larger, heavier vehicles fear to go. If you get it bogged down half a dozen big men can just about lift it out.
On the road, they're gutless (perhaps just as well!) thirsty, noisy, uncomfortable and have appalling handling and brakes. You can't have everything.
4x4 off roader - Group B
Something along these lines would do the job wouldn't it?:
tinyurl.com/3ax7d5

I'm surprised someone would go to the expense of these modifications but not have a play with it off road?

;o)
4x4 off roader - movilogo
The small Suzukis are great

I second that. Try with Suzuki Jimny first. However, its on road behavior is not that good :)

Or try with Suzuki Ignis 4Grip. It's not really a 4x4 (has viscous coupling) but it is good on tarmac at least.

They are both cheap to start with.

How serious are you doing off roading? Some of my friends have thought about 4x4 in the past! They bought expensive 4x4s. Did some adventure for first few months. Then enthusiasm died down. 4x4s gathered dust on driveway. Finally got rid of them with pretty low price - suffering considerable depreciation.
4x4 off roader - Sim-O
i'm fairly serious, which is why i don't intend on spending a huge amount to start with.
Get a 4x4, do some driving in it, see how i get on then so I don't waste a huge amount of money, then start with the modifications.
4x4 off roader - Xileno {P}
Recent discussion on the proc and cons of an old Discovery:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=54016&...e

I would go for a Series 3 Land Rover - cheap and easy to work on and a useful improvement on the Series 2 and 2A, most significant is the much stonger five bearing crank engine.
4x4 off roader - Pugugly {P}
"so I was thinking of spending up to £1500/£2000."

Ignis4grip - don't think so !

The Disco on fleabay looks like a good risk, if it's a bad un you can always punt off the bits !

Add a snorkel kit and it will be flood proof as well.
4x4 off roader - Andy P
And now for something completely different:

www.rrservices.co.uk/index2.html
4x4 off roader - Sim-O
I didn't think of the smaller stuff, but mainly the Disco sized stuff.
Will look into a suzuki too I think, as people keep mentioning them.
4x4 off roader - MrWednesday
Sim-O,
Go for the Jimny, 2k should get you one with some good life in it. One of the 4x4 mags did a 'Buying used' guide not that long ago, and the only main gripe I can remember is to check the front suspension and hubs / bearing at approx 30K. Depending on the treatment there was some bushes needing done, and at worse, front bearing - IIRC. Nothing dramatic, and lots apparently done under warranty.

There was a review done by one of the bigger mags that put the Jimny up against the Porsche Beach Buggy and guess which they gave the thumbs up to off road? Yup the Jimny. It may not be flash, and fast it certainly isn't but mine could certainly handle many a green lane, and gotme home through 25 miles of really bad snow the other winter - drifts over 2 feet in bits. It really paid for itself that day. Many drivers of bigger vehicles seemed really impressed with the progress it made.

Proper selectable low range, part time four wheel drive, and ladder chassis, separate body. Loads and loads of mods available if you want to. I loved it, but had to move up due to needing to carry more. Great for just two folks and a packed lunch.

4x4 off roader - Nsar
I was at on off-road event with quite a demanding course and when a Jimny took its turn all the Landy guys prepared their heartiest laughs for its inevitable humbling. Cue slack jaws at it ate the course up. The only thing it backed out of was the water obstacle but it was a really nasty, deep one.
4x4 off roader - Michael, Surrey
Have you considered a Jeep, Wrangler or Cherokee? I have a Cherokee although i have only been off roading in a Nissan Partol Safari and not in this country.

You could have a look at the Jeep Club web site www.jeepclub.co.uk They have a classified section and you can see details also of the off road events they hold. Some parts of the site you may not be able to access without membership but you can get to most of it. Happy offroading.
4x4 off roader - Sim-O
I haven't considered a Jeep.
I don't know why, but I just do not want one. Are they any good? I would've thought they would be out of my price.
4x4 off roader - Michael, Surrey
The Jeep Wrangler type must be the original offroader although I have never owned one. A bit spartan maybe.

I've had my Jeep for nearly 4 years with no problems whatsoever. I have a V6 3.7Ltr Cherokee. Powerful but thirsty and not Mr Livingstone's favourite car. I had a Nissan Patrol Safari 4.2 ltr for a few years in Saudi. Great fun in the desert. There is always a lot of debate between 4x4 owners as to what's best. But I guess it's horses for courses. Mine was an ex courtesy car and the best deal for me at the time. It's been good for the family, grandchildren and dog even if I don't go up mountains with it.

Hope you find a 4x4 to suit your needs.
4x4 off roader - nick
A mate of mine used to have a Jimny which he used on the beach (mud,sand and dunes) and really rated it. Its light weight makes it very capable.
4x4 off roader - Sim-O
Thanx guys, lots to think about and consider here.

thanx