black smoke on car I am thinking of - Rattle
Saw a very local and genuine 1.3 Endura MK4 Fiesta which was perfect but it was only serviced every two years (10k miles). The bodywork was mint, the interior looked like new and it drove well however it stalled twice (maybe just me?) and when I reved it a puff of black smoke came out then it cleared up was clean. The rear box is clearly quite sutty.

The car is £500 for a P reg which is on the cheap side. Have I done the right think by walking away? Seen four cars already and this was the best one (not been clocked and no warn camshaft rattles).

Been told the 97 cars had a different camshaft which was much stronger is there any way of telling which camshaft is used as the engine block and engine management system is identical?

I just want a good MK4 Fiesta 5 door for around £700-£800 is this too much for ask even for a P reg with FSH?
black smoke on car I am thinking of - cheddar
Sounds OK to me for the money, probably been pottering around so needs a clear out.
black smoke on car I am thinking of - storme
for £500 id buy it and give it an italian tune :)
--
sometimes a little bit too much opinion....but its only because i care !!!
black smoke on car I am thinking of - Altea Ego
I would go back, hand over the £monkey, give a it good hard italian tune up, service it, and use it. Sounds like good cheap motoring to me.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I may phone him up later, ask him to take it out for a blast, ask him to put some petrol in then check the emissions again.

It also needs a new passanger mirror so I am just thinking there is going to be too much hassle with this car especially as it needs a service. I just don't want to replace an unreliable car with another one.>> for £500 id buy it and give it an italian tune :)
black smoke on car I am thinking of - Mapmaker
Quite possibly worth putting it on a garage emissions tester. But then you'll spend £50 on evaluating a £500 car which misses the point. If it's a major oil burner then you probably don't want it.

Maybe it's cheap for a reason.
black smoke on car I am thinking of - bathtub tom
Blocked air filter?
black smoke on car I am thinking of - normd2
if it 'feels' right buy it - worst case is £100 from the scrappy and whatever tax you can get refunded. If you can afford to lose that any miles you get out of it is a bonus.
black smoke on car I am thinking of - Saltrampen
My 1.25 Mk4 looked very Grubby when I looked at it, but mechanically no major issues.
The Ford dealer had it thoroughly cleaned and it looked in "mint" condition when picked up.
I think you could get a 1.25 P reg for £800 easily with FSH, maybe 60 - 70k on clock.
It drives very differently from the 1.3, with much more even power spread through the rev range. The 1.25 I believe is a Suzuki engine.
Don't forget to check the heater for hot air, and creaks from suspension (ARB bushes or suspension bushes), also I believe mk4's eat brake disks as well, so check them before buying.
black smoke on car I am thinking of - jc2
Yamaha actually;you obviously fancy a bit of a change from the blue smoke on your current car!!
Bought another Kent based engine in the end, but with FSH and no smoke at all and its Ghia spec :D See my other thread.

I am glad I walked away from the other one now, hearing how quite my new car is just makes me realise how badly the tappets needs adjusting on the other one.

I would not have minded the zetec but could not afford to be too picky.
black smoke on car I am thinking of - Saltrampen
When I was looking for a fiesta, I was amazed how well some of the Kent engines were still running despite missing service history and overdue oil changes. Although several examples had rusted in plugs (never touched) some of which were swimming in old oil leaking past rocker cover gasket (an easy DIY job!).

Had fiestas for many years, and so far my main enemy has been rust.

The ECU must send a signal to the bodywork when the corrosion warrantly has expired that activates the rust process.

I clean and wax them, but most of the damage probably comes from the inside/underside.
Guess I should get the waxoyl out as soon as I buy the car...and not wait until the rust appears.
just spent all morning fixing the rust on my mates N reg, its all on the sills and arches but it is not structural so hopefully MOT man will be happy with it. Hopefully we cought it before it started t corrode the sills.