The last car to have a carb was ? - Avant
Now there's an interesting, if off-thread, thought.....what was the last model to be sold with a carburettor and choke? I think everything now on the market is petrol or diesel injection.

Moved over from PCP Thread.

Well Avant, its generating interest of its own so let's re-thread it ! - PU
The last car to have a carb was ? - Pugugly {P}
There were some horrid MK111 Fiestas with a Carb until a H plate 1.1 injection appeared, horrid in many other ways though.
The last car to have a carb was ? - Bill Payer
Our J Reg Peugeot 106 had a choke. The cable (or at least it's attachment to the choke lever) snapped on one occasion.
The last car to have a carb was ? - Xileno {P}
Rover 214S had one.
The last car to have a carb was ? - Chris White
My 1992 K plate Proton 1.3GL had a carb

Chris
The last car to have a carb was ? - cheddar
Despite ever tougher emmisions regs some bikes still run carbs, IIRC the last of the MkI Clios were carb so '97.
The last car to have a carb was ? - Pugugly {P}
Cheddar, I think the last was went quietly away last year, a big Yamaha, I'll stand corrected though.
The last car to have a carb was ? - Robin Reliant
Cheddar I think the last was went quietly away last year a big Yamaha I'll
stand corrected though.

I think the smaller bikes like the CG125 still have a carb, and presumably a choke too.
--
The last car to have a carb was ? - bazza
CBF 500 still on carbs as far as I'm aware- our 04 reg definitely is.
I'll stand corrected though.

You do! ;-)

The Kawasaki ZRX1200R is still available. Bikes are exempt from the latest applicable (EuroIII IIRC) regs if sold in less than certain numbers. Many mainstream bikes (such as the original Faser 600 and the ZX7R) were canned in 2003 when EuroII came in.
The last car to have a carb was ? - Screwloose
cheddar

The Clio's swapped to mono-point injection in '92 when the cats came in. The last non-cat Pierburg carb models were sold off in '93.
The Clio's swapped to mono-point injection in '92 when the cats came in. >>

I stand corrected though I thought I read somewhere that a variant of the MkI Clio, perhaps the 1.2 only, was carb and cat.
cheddar

If there was [and I'll never say never with cars] there's no record of it in the data sources. The 1.2 carb E5F engines made way for the injected/cat D/E7F units in '92.

Both Delco and Bosch single-point and Sagem Safir multi-point systems were used. Single-point throttle bodies are often mistaken for carbs, so maybe that caused the confusion.

The Kia Pride 1.3 still had a carb [with a cat!] around the mid-nineties. It did have a weird electronic main jet under ECU control, so whether it qualifies is a debatable point.

All cars built after 01/01/93 had to have cats and virtually everything went to EFI - of some description. There were a few "hangover" cars around in '94 with carbs and no cats [mainly Metro's] but they'd been built years earlier.

As to the last manual choke...?
The last car to have a carb was ? - Avant
Thanks PU - I should have done that myself. Comes of being a church organist and making thigs up as I go along!

I could add that we hired a Toyota Tazz in South Africa 2 years ago which still had a carb, and I suspect the CitiGolfs (still current in SA) may have thm too.

Yes, the cat must be what made the difference. M<*nual choke? - The last one we had was a 1985 Renault 5. Any advance?
The last car to have a carb was ? - Chris White
I'll throw another one in then. My first car was a 1986 Yugo with manual choke (I have owned some bad cars in my time.........)

I also had a 1977 Golf 1.1litre with an automatic choke that kept going wrong (don't know if it came as standard or was an aftermarket job).

Chris
The last car to have a carb was ? - stunorthants26
I think the Lada Riva had carbs into the 90's, not sure if it had them by '96 which is the last year I remember them selling them. May have had spi by then. I do recall reading that there were probs getting it thro MOTs on account of emissions.
The last car to have a carb was ? - frazerjp
I had a J-reg Pug 205 with a manual choke.

IIRC Minis had a carb with a cat which i've heard are a recipe for disaster as well as the K-reg Ladas.
Which explained why there arn't many about. (with a full MOT)
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
frazer

The Lada's disappeared [and the 1.5 did have a carb] because the Russians bought them back in droves.

Now; if we could somehow persuade the French to do the same.....
The last car to have a carb was ? - L'escargot
The 1990 Subaru Justy was the last car sold in the US to have a carburettor. tinyurl.com/2jfdto
--
L\'escargot.
The last car to have a carb was ? - Chris S
Lada's used carbs until they were discontinued in the UK in 1997.
The last car to have a carb was ? - normd2
my 1l '93 Fiat Uno was supposed to be an injection engine but it looked suspiciously like a carb to me.
The last car to have a carb was ? - bathtub tom
At what point does single point injection not be a carb?
The last car to have a carb was ? - Number_Cruncher
At what point does single point injection not be a carb?

When it no longer draws fuel at atmospheric pressure** through calibrated jets by virtue of airflow through the venturi, and instead delivers fuel via an electronically switched injector which itself receives a high pressure fuel from an electric pump.

** or perhaps at boost pressure on engines where the carburettor is between the turbo and engine.

Number_Cruncher

Good explanation NC.
The last car to have a carb was ? - Cliff Pope
>> delivers fuel via an electronically switched injector which itself
receives a high pressure fuel from an electric pump.

Or it could be all mechanical.
The word "injection" is the clue.
Cliff

I've never seen a mechanical single-point injector - have you?
The last car to have a carb was ? - Cliff Pope
Cliff
I've never seen a mechanical single-point injector - have you?

Sorry, no. I missed the single point bit. Just saying injection doesn't necessarily mean electrical.
Cliff
Just saying injection doesn't necessarily mean electrical.

Very true; I was de-bodging a mechanical pump on a '61 Merc 220SEb convertible the other day - beautiful workmanship that only needed proper setting-up and it still ran like a charm.

I can't see many of the current systems making it past 15 years without all the wiring breaking up or the software corrupting - let alone the 46 years - and counting - of that engineer's delight.

The last car to have a carb was ? - pendulum
My friends 1994 Metro has a carb and choke.
The last car to have a carb was ? - oldbuffer
The last Reliant 3 wheelers had a carb, whatever that date was. I also understand that even now some Land Rovers to certain "Undeveloped" countries still have a carb.
The last car to have a carb was ? - sierraman
Carbs are still widely available though,bought a brand new Weber last year,for a CVH,complete with manual choke.I even remember to push it in most of the time.
The last car to have a carb was ? - Lud
Land Rovers to certain "Undeveloped" countries still have a carb.

My very thought, and not just Land Rovers I'm sure. I would be willing to bet a smallish sum that there are cars being assembled in Latin America, Africa and Asia that still come with carbs.

Injection can't easily be cobbled back to life at the back of beyond. Takes more than ingenuity. But carbs can.
pendulum

That'll be one of those that I referred to earlier in the thread. It may have been regd in '94; but it was built in....'91?

Pre-built non-cat cars could be regd right up to '95. Good fun at MOT time.
The last car to have a carb was ? - Another John H
As far as I can recall there were two UK market cars with a carburettor and a catalyser in early 1993, when everything else had gone to injection and catalyser to meet the new emission regulations.

The Metro mentioned above, and the SEAT Marbella (Mk1 FIAT Panda clone).

It's possible the Marbella kept the "Carb-electric" fuel system until its demise in 1995.
The last car to have a carb was ? - bathtub tom
And, the previously mentioned, Kia Pride.
Mine was first registered March '94.