Car impounded - no tax or MOT - flunky
just heard a colleague had his car towed for having no tax.

Apparently it's £160 release fee, plus you'll need to provide a valid tax disc before they'll release it.

But it also has no current MOT.

So how do you get the tax without the MOT, when you can't get the MOT because the car's impounded?

Just curious how they'll handle this.
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - Simon
I would guess that your colleague is in a pickle. It does beg the question whether he deserves to be able to get it back being as he was using it with no MOT or tax. Dare I ask if he had any insurance cover at all?
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - martint123
Sorry, but I expect they'll crush it.

I hope so.
I believe it has insurance (although that might not be valid due to lack of tax/MOT)....

I would have thought it would be quite a common situation, that there's no MOT to go with missing tax disc, but there's no mention of it on the DVLA website, it just says you can only get your car back if you have a tax disc.
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - Stuartli
Quite a few cars are immediately impounded on a regular basis around my area for the same reason - Merseyside Police has the highest number of ANPR equpped cars in the UK apparently.

All in favour of it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - oldbuffer
Its probably cheaper to loose the car to the police then it is to tax and MOT it.

If buy a banger for £200/£300 you could possibly run it for quite a while without being stopped.

If you already have a bad driving record then it will certainly be cheaper than buying insurance.

Car impounded - no tax or MOT - Pugugly {P}
There was a purge around here recently, a client's car was taken in similar circumstances, the car pound also had an MoT station which helped, cost the guy near enough £500 to get his car through.......most of this was admin charges and penalties.

There is a general exemption for getting a car to a pre-arranged Test with no MoT and tax, I think he's going to find it difficult though, the impound rules are not flexible....
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - Dalglish
... I think he's going to find it difficult though, the impound rules are not flexible.... ..

...In addition, a valid vehicle tax disc must be produced before the vehicle can be recovered. If a tax disc cannot be produced, a surety (£120 for a car or motorcycle, up to £600 for other vehicles) must be paid before the vehicle can be released. The surety payment is forfeited if a valid vehicle tax disc is not produced within two weeks. .... <.i>

Car impounded - no tax or MOT - rtj70
Probably deserves running the risk of it being scrapped depending on age. Does it have any insurance?

So was this a case of forgetting or abusing the system? If the former and the car will easily pass an MOT then sure something can be sorted. But if likely to need work to get a pass, the £160 release charge, £120 surety charge and the tax disk cost then this could be costly.

Note, as well as the car being impounded there will be a fine to the registered keeper on the way for the vehicle being on the road without tax. Cannot remember how much that might be -- step-son's friends got hold of an old banger and caught out like this after registering it in their name at 14 years old.
apparently it cost £250 to get it out, no real problems.
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - Pugugly {P}
That;ll learn him though.
That;ll learn him though.

Indeed, I imagine tax & MOT will both be arranged tomorrow, assuming Mr. Plod will be following it up in due course.
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - milkyjoe
why do they have to crush cars? they could give it to a student nurse or such like, no?
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - Cliff Pope
why do they have to crush cars? they could give it to a student nurse
or such like no?

Imagine the admin costs.
They would have to appoint an "Impounded Cars Disposal Officer" with staff, in an office.
They would advertise monthly for candidates seeking free cars.
Applicants would have to submit justifying details, with supporting paperwork.
The ICDO would need to assess these, compare with agreed criteria, and put his recommendations to a special panel. Obviously he would not be allowed just to give cars to his friends.
Successful applicants would have to be notified, and then present themselves with ID.
The cars would need storage throughout this procedure.
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - movilogo
Crushing of cars is an utter nonsense act!

Why don't they sell the cars to poor people in developed world?

It sucks when these folks also speak of environmental issues!
I thought the policy was to scrap older cars and to sell the decent ones.
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - George Porge
If a car is'nt taxed and MOT'd there is a good chance its not seen a serviced in a while either and is in unroadworthy condition too. If someone were to be injured or killed in a car donated to them in poor condition ultimatelly it would be you and I who paid the compensation.

Crush them
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - Cliff Pope
Crush them

And the cars too?
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - Ruperts Trooper
If a car on the road isn't taxed or Mot'd, there's a very high chance that it won't pass an Mot without work - it makes more economic sense to crush the car and support the "needy" in other ways.
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - normd2
this is where some cars impounded in London end up:

tinyurl.com/2gel5c

ebay web address
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - henry k

And most buyers are happy :-)
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - Morpheus
tinyurl.com/2gel5c
ebay web address

The Toyota Celica that he is selling has had 12 previous owners in 17 years......
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - Happy Blue!
So, you get you car impounded for lack of Tax, MoT or Insurance on an APNR check. You see the car auctioned on E-bay and you still have the spare key. You see the car parked up parked up, after the sale, take your spare key and nick it back!
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - George Porge
And the same goes for any second hand car
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - normd2
civil offence to criminal offence in one fell swoop
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - Chris White
I can't imagine the cars that guy's selling on eBay are worth much more than scrap value.

Because of the nature of it, he's very vague about how the cars were acquired and he states .....No viewing of the vehicle is possible as it is in a locked and secure Pound facility

Chris
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - local yokel
I'm amazed that anyone is bidding on those cars at all. Plenty on Ebay with far less issues, for much the same price, or less.
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - JamesH
I'm amazed that anyone is bidding on those cars at all. Plenty on Ebay with
far less issues for much the same price or less.

I don't know if there is much better for less. Often with cars eBay, the ones right down at the bottom end of the market go for what seem like more than they're worth. That said, unless it's doctored in some way or broken, the Accord in the link has a full tank of fuel worth about £50 alone. It will set someone up nicely as another illegal taxi, and therefore perhaps to return to the pound sometime later if caught.
If a car on the road isn't taxed or Mot'd there's a very high chance
that it won't pass an Mot without work - it makes more economic sense to
crush the car and support the "needy" in other ways.

The car in question was E46 BMW I think 52 reg, so not a scrapping job by any means.
Car impounded - no tax or MOT - horatio
If it has been towed by DVLA they will not require a valid tax disc (or MOT or INS ) to release the vehicle. All they require is the release fee.

which will be about £80 within the first 24 hours (from the time of 1st clamping)
after 24 hours you will (if towed away) be charged for the towing fee another £80.
If they towed you immediately they do not charge for the tow until 24 hours has passed, (because they gave you no opportunity to pay before the tow).
After this they will also charge you a storage fee per day.

On top of the release fee is a deposit of I dunno... £100? which if you tax the vehicle within 7 or 14 days (I forget which) You will have returned to your credit card. You have to show the tax disc to a the people at the storge compound or your nerest DVLA office who will fax a form to the clamping compound saying the tax disc has been shown. and you get your deposit back.