MoT for almost 3-yr old car - Happy Blue!
SWMBO's car will be three years old on 1st September.

The garage where it was serviced on 30th July, said that if it was on or after 1st August they could have MoT'd the car without any documentation and forward dated the ticket to 1st September 2008.

Is this right?
MoT for almost 3-yr old car - gmac
You can take your vehicle in for test up to one calendar month early and providing the old test certificate is produced (or in your case the V5 I guess) you get your test certificate will last for thirteen months minus 1 day. If you take it earlier it only lasts for twelve months minus 1 day.
MoT for almost 3-yr old car - normd2
yep - I've bought cars with 13 month MOTs before.
btw as the MOT is on a government database now is it still 'legal' to drive if you take it in three weeks before the MOT is due and it fails. Can you still use it as the previous MOT is still valid. In the 'old' days the only people who knew it had failed would be you and the garage, so it was up to your concience.
MoT for almost 3-yr old car - gmac
btw as the MOT is on a government database now is it still 'legal' to
drive if you take it in three weeks before the MOT is due and it
fails. Can you still use it as the previous MOT is still valid.

Good question.
I don't know the answer but would imagine if you are involved in an accident and big brother flags up the fail even though you still have a valid ticket you might have some explaining to do.
Let's see if anyone has a definitive answer.
MoT for almost 3-yr old car - rtj70
Maybe it works like when you get an MOT a little early and they forward date it? Since the car does not need an MOT until 1st Sept surely the same principle???
MoT for almost 3-yr old car - Dwight Van Driver
The current test Certificate is valid until date of expiry.

Early test failed because of defects may lead to vehicle being put off the road under a prohibition until re-test (which will cancel the current Cert) and if caught out on the road reported for any Con and Use regs disclosed.

dvd
ok lets say it fails for a slight crack in the number plate or a blown position light (as sidelights seem to be known as in MOT land) or something else very minor, does that mean my insurance would be invalidated and open to a charge of no MOT?
MoT for almost 3-yr old car - Bill Payer
You surely can't be committing the offence of not having an MOT if the car doesn't need an MOT.

Of course if you hadn't fixed the faults then you'd be breaking the relevant laws.
MoT for almost 3-yr old car - SlidingPillar
It's just like normal. You can fail, but in opinion of the tester, it's just that and does not warrant a prohibition notice. So you can drive it till the three years is up or the old MOT expires

Or said car can be jolly dangerous so they do issue a notice. And it needs to be recovered etc. I've never know a tester issue one of these notices unless they were really sure of themselves. Would you want to drive a lethal car?

Worth noting- a lot cars have a three year mechanical warenty, so if the dealer does the MOT and it fails, the cause might be covered. (Friction materials are not usually covered).
MoT for almost 3-yr old car - Dwight Van Driver
Norm

An expired test certificate does not invalidate third party Insurance under RTAct.

dvd
thanks DVD, I always wondered - one of those hypothetical questions you never want to try out in real life.
MoT for almost 3-yr old car - Armitage Shanks {p}
Another good reason for having a 3 year old car MOTd early is that the test may reveal faults which can be fixed for free by the 3 year warranty (if applicable)
MoT for almost 3-yr old car - Xileno {P}
That's a good idea and something I had never thought of doing until my Renault dealer phoned me up and suggested they do the MoT a month early. Then any faults would (probably) be fixed for free.

As it happended, it passed :-)
MoT for almost 3-yr old car - jase1
Damn good incentive for the dealer to be honest about what needs doing as well :)
MoT for almost 3-yr old car - Dulwich Estate
Mine is 3 years old on September 1. I took it for a MOT this morning. The tester didn't want to see my reg doc, he simply tapped in the VIN and reg number into the system and 40 minutes later I was £50 worse off but had a crisp first MOT ticket which expires on 1 September 08.