2007 CRV - Excessive oil consumption? - past_it
I just love my new CRV except...... The amount of oil it uses.
In the hand book it says 625 miles to a litre and at £10 a litre makes this expensive motoring.
I spoke to Honda and they said "didn't they tell you about this before you bought it" .....NO they didn't.
My last 2 litre diesel Hdi went between 12000 mile services without even topping up.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

{Subject header elaborated on to include the problem - DD}
2007 CRV - Xileno {P}
Should settle down as the miles increase.
2007 CRV - Excessive oil consumption? - Altea Ego
how much oil is it actually using?

It will improve, but you need to drive it HARD NOW while its running in. Use those revs.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Hi, thank you all for your kind replies.
It seems reverse logic to say drive it hard on a new engine and the oil consumption will get less when the engine gets older..... Am I missing something here?
Regards
2007 CRV - Excessive oil consumption? - Dynamic Dave
It seems reverse logic to say drive it hard on a new engine and the
oil consumption will get less when the engine gets older.....

HJ's FAQ No.15

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=32

2007 CRV - Excessive oil consumption? - Falkirk Bairn
The amount of oil it uses and at £10 a litre makes this expensive motoring.

Buy your topping up oil in 5 litre it is 2 or 3 x expensive buying 1 ltr cans

The oil consumption will slow down as it beds in
2007 CRV - Excessive oil consumption? - jc2
Buy your oil from someone else-not Honda.There are plenty that supply the same spec-even Halfords.
2007 CRV - Excessive oil consumption? - Aretas
Suggest you use high revs but not a hard right foot. It will cause the bores to wear in properly and not glaze. I run a petrol A4 and have seen many complaints of high oil consumption. I ran mine in by progressively increasing the revs in the lower gears, but with a gentle right foot. Oil useage is around 1 pint between services.
2007 CRV - Excessive oil consumption? - Bill Payer
Suggest you use high revs but not a hard right foot.

Stuff I've read suggests that the idea is to load the engine (when hot) - drive it hard up a long hill, then run down the other side on the overrun.

However piston ring sealing tends to take place very early on in the cars life - I've seen some suggestions that the first 20-50miles are critical, which if true would mean that it becomes a bit pointless trying later on.
2007 CRV - Excessive oil consumption? - nortones2
As the OP hasn't said how many miles its done, nor how much oil its taken in its travels, its a trifle difficult to see what is the scale of the problem. Or have I missed something?
Yes, thank you. It was halfords I bought the 4 ltrs from.
2007 CRV - Excessive oil consumption? - Bill Black
Hi Past_it - I've now done about 6000 kms in my auto/petrol '07 CR-V, and the oil level is still only about halfway between the max/min markings on the dipstick with no topups from new.
I know the handbook says consumption can be as much as 1L. /1000kms, I read that too, so had the dealer, but he was adamant that I wouldn't need to pack an extra litre for our recent trip down to the Med and back - and he was right. My last two Citroens were well into their second and third helpings after 6k kms., and some C5s can get through a litre per 1000kms., in fact it's a known problem with C5s so I was told. I've always put varying oil consumption (and BHP) down to the old 'fits and limits' variations which should be all but eliminated with modern tooling. I reckon there's a faulty ring or seal or summat, have you sought any second opinions?
Cheers, Bill
2007 CRV - Excessive oil consumption? - Bill Black
Hallo again Chris, it seems I was a little hasty with my parting comment re 'normal' oil consumption. I just Googled 'normal oil consumption' and amongst all the chatter you will find that a lot of large manufacturers quote 1L per 1000kms as acceptable. Ford, Toyota and VW to name but a few - plus Honda of course. I think it's called keeping your back covered or something similar.
Anyway what consumption are you actually getting? As a matter of interest.
And by the way, do you get the dripping noise I asked about in my posting? From about 40-50 upwards, you can't mistake it.
Cheers again, Bill
Hi Bill, sorry no dripping noise (yet). I live in hope......
I've had my dipstick below the low level twice now in 5000 miles and I've put in about 2.5 ltrs of 0-30 Castrol oil, I'm thinking of putting chip pan oil in it seems the same viscosity.
Funny thing, Honda said the thin oil helps the environment, not if I'm putting that much in to the atmosphere, still, it was a lady I was talking to. Oh dear!
2007 CRV - Excessive oil consumption? - nortones2
Does this mean you have just relied on the oil pressure warning light to trigger topping up?
No, not at all. I check my fluid levels (the car that is ) now and again.
2007 CRV - Excessive oil consumption? - Altea Ego
So thats 2k miles per litre? Honda wont consider it a problem, thats well within their "spec"
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
2007 CRV - Excessive oil consumption? - Old Steve
I think the manual refers to the worse case.
I've done 1500 miles from new in my CR-V (diesel) and the oil level is still only just below the max mark. My dealer did warn me to keep an eye on it. I previously owned the new style Civic with this diesel engine and it used only 1 litre of oil in its first 12,000 miles.

I agree with others that the consumption will reduce over time, and in my experience these engines (once warm) benefit from being driven quite hard early on. I follow HJs running in process, though after the first 1000 miles I am being a little more agressive.

Old Steve
2007 CRV - Excessive oil consumption? - Robin the Technician
It may come as a sursprise to you but diesels do need to be driven fairly hard. As a Technician who has had many diesels, all of them have been driven very hard and none of them used oil. If you run them in then the bores get glazed and you end up with oil consumption that only a major strip down will fix.

i know it may sound harsh but drive it hard and it will not do any harm - quite the reverse.

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
Hi Robin and others, thank you for your expertise, there's nothing like experience and as you know can't be gained from books alone.
And I always thought I should drive my pride and joy with care and gentleness to get maximum mpg and of course lessen oil use and not stress the engine.
Watch out CRV things are about to change.
Cheers
Chris
2007 CRV - Excessive oil consumption? - oilrag
We have had 2 direct injection, ( one common rail), a PD and indirect injection, diesels in the last 15 years.

All have been run in gently ( initially) in the old fashioned way.
None have needed top up between service intervals.

The 1.3 Multijet at 13,000 miles has always been driven with care and gentleness, on Mobil 1 since 500 miles, uses no oil and exceeds manufacturers fuel consumption figures.

IMHO, there`s more to it than how its used or run in. Certain engines have a tendency to use oil, across a spectrum of owners, others much less so.........
2007 CRV - Excessive oil consumption? - oilrag
Just to add further, ( with no reference to any particular manufacturer)

If you were into conspiracy theory, an argument could be put that a car manufacturer putting out an extended service interval, would have no concerns at highish oil consumption.

Why? well If that very low viscosity ( extended service) oil cannot be handled by the ring pack and bores, to the previous lower consumption on their older engine using a thicker oil... what matters most to them?

After all, all the fleet managers ( and some customers) care about is how much does it cost to service up to X number of miles.
The fact that the engine needs 20 litres of that expensive 0-30w oil between services would be of no consequence to the manufacturer. Or would it?

You could argue it would benefit the car manufacturer as there would be no concerns of old oil thickening or sludging and causing warranty claims. After all the engine has had an unofficial 4 oil changes in the `extended service interval`.
( did HJ write something similar?)

It seems to me,manufactures have a lot to answer for and the responsibility for higher oil consumption with certain engines, very low viscosity oils and extended service intervals lies mainly there.

Regards

2007 CRV - Excessive oil consumption? - Bill Payer
After all the engine has had an unofficial 4 oil changes in the `extended service interval`.

I thought that when I read the OP too.

However I've run several company Peugeots with 20K service intervals that haven't needed any oil (ran one to 120K miles) and my current Merc did 18500mls to its first service and I only added 0.5L (and it didn't really need that - it only asks for oil if the level drops by 1L).