Service interval - Miller
My ex partner has just bought a brand new last of the line peugeot 106, with the 1.1 litre engine. Although she has got a good deal I am rather suspicious of the service intervals quoted, 2 years or 20000 miles. Surely this is the same engine that required intervals of 9000 miles post 94 and 6000 prior to this, or have peugeot tweaked it some more to make this viable? Seems like an extra selling gimmick to me.
Re: Service interval - JohnD
How right you are! I'm sure it's just a gimmick to make a particular make look a more economical proposition from servicing costs. I know that oils have progressed, but not by so much. As a DIY mechanic looking after four cars, I still stick to 6000 mile intervals.
Re: Service interval - Honestjohn
The 106 came fifth from bottom, just above the 307 in the Auto Express 100 car reliablilty survey. It's going to need all the help it can get to stay reliable.

HJ
Re: Service interval - David W
Miller,

All I can say is that I do everything possible to get the 306 1.4s I look after here at 6000 intervals for an oil change and safety check inspection at the very least.

Keeps them sweet and costs very little.

David
Re: Service interval - Richard Hall
The PSA 1.1 engine is a fairly old design and will eat its camshaft and followers if you only change the oil every 20K. They get rattly enough even with more regular oil changes. I would guess that Peugeot are using long life spark plugs and hoping the first owner only keeps the car for 3 years or so. With modern plugs and synthetic oil they could quote a 40,000 mile service interval and the car would still be running at the first service, but it probably wouldn't last long enough to need a second one.....