Car vacuum cleaners - BobbyG
Anyone got any recommendations for vacuum cleaners for the car? I usually use my upright Dyson with the brush and nozzle attachments but this can be cumbersome and I have difficulty reaching certain areas like down between the seats and the handbrake.

I see Aldi have one just now which is rechargable for about £15 or so but is it a case of after using the Dyson, anything else is going to be a poor substitute.

(I realise that Dyson do a small rechargable one but last I saw it was £100 and had received a poor review).

Any advice appreciated.
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Car vacuum cleaners - Pugugly {P}
Henry thing is recommended here in the past.
Car vacuum cleaners - Falkirk Bairn
>>Aldi have one just now which is rechargable for about £15 or so but is it a case of after using the Dyson, anything else is going to be a poor substitute.

Battery & 12v from cigarette lighter are all a waste of space.

I bought a £20+ El Cheapo Electrolux - bag type - perfectly good - must be 5 year old now - only problem is the 13amp plug - but it does the business
Car vacuum cleaners - boxsterboy
It's all down to the wattage of the motor, and 12v ones are dismal.

You should be able to have a slim attachment to get into those crevices. My Miele does!
Car vacuum cleaners - stunorthants26
Karcher do a good one that I use for my valeting business. Two years almost daily use, never gone wrong whatsoever. Can also suck up water with a filter change. Decently powerful aswell.

Was £99.00 when I bought mine. Great investment I think.
Car vacuum cleaners - mal
I have a Miele vacuum cleaner and use their excellent car accessory kit which comes in a nice case, includes extra long hose, extra long flat nozzle, small 1ins diameter hose with a small brush and nozzle for the nooks and crannies, and an excellent 6ins turbo brush.
Car vacuum cleaners - massey
Don't waste your £15.

I bought something similar from Lidl .........useless
Car vacuum cleaners - Dynamic Dave
I bought something similar from Lidl .........useless

If it's the same one that I bought, then its adequate if you use it on a regular basis (say once a week). Keeps the carp levels down to a minimum, and it means that I only have to trail out the long extension lead to use the big hoover once every few months or so.
Stu, which model is it you use? Problem with the Dyson is that the hose has a long fixed "wand" part at the end which obviously is not flexible so therefore cannot reach between the gaps in the seats.

Really need a unit that hose is totally flexible for its whole length.
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Car vacuum cleaners - local yokel
BobbyG - I clearly spend far too much time doing house work, but our Dyson allows the wand to be removed and then you can fix the attachments straight onto the hose end.
Car vacuum cleaners - billy25
So much easier in the long run to use the one at the garage! specially designed narrow nozzles right at the end of the flexible bit, loads of suction, usefull for emptiing the ashtrays without having to bother removing them, (i.e your missus wont complain next time she turns hers on!), no need ever to empty it or get it out/put it away!! and all for a quid. ;-)
Life can be so simple!
Local, a virtual pint is on its way to you - you have just saved me a large sum of money!

Went and checked my Dyson and yes, you can do exactly as you said!

Cheers!!!!
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
The model is an A5521. Dysons are useless for cleaning cars thats for sure.
The Karcher is good because empty, its light, the hose is very long which is useful for car cleaning and even the hose isnt heavy so not a chore to handle. Nozzles from most hoovers fit so getting a selection of them is useful and the attachments are fairly generic for most normal hoovers.

I bought mine in Homebase btw who seem to be stocking an ever growing selection of Karcher products, cheaper than B&Q often aswell.
Car vacuum cleaners - Pugugly {P}
Stuart,

I've Googled myself to death looking for that model number - can you confirm it ?
Car vacuum cleaners - Stuartli
I use our Sebo X4 Extra - far, far more efficient than the so-called car vacuum cleaner I've owned for several years.

Dysons are carp - not from the cleaning side, but the reliability and build quality aspect.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Car vacuum cleaners - henry k
I use our Sebo X4 Extra

and with the 2.8m extension hose it is even easier.
Car vacuum cleaners - Stuartli
>>and with the 2.8m extension hose it is even easier.>>

We have that as well, though I generally manage without it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Car vacuum cleaners - Martin Devon
Henry
Car vacuum cleaners - L'escargot
I found by trial and error that a high-powered hair dryer (set to cold!) is ideal for blowing dirt out of inaccessible corners ~ both in the cabin and under the bonnet.
--
L\'escargot.
Pugugly {P} - apologies, I got the numbers round the wrong way - memory of goldfish!

Karcher A2251 - the leates ones may have a different number again though as they are always making minor model changes.
Car vacuum cleaners - csgmart
Stu, which model is it you use? Problem with the Dyson is that the hose has a long fixed "wand" part at the end which obviously is not flexible so therefore cannot reach between the gaps in the seats. Really need a unit that hose is totally flexible for its whole length. -- 2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance 2005 Skoda Fabia vrS

On our upright Dyson it's possible to detach the fixed part - leaving only the flexible hose, into which the usual attachments fit. Can't remember the model number - possibly DC05. My wife says the model isn't important as all Dyson fixed wand parts will detach - apparantly. I'm not brave enough to argue the point with her!

Car vacuum cleaners - Bilboman
Most 240v (household) cleaners will do the job!
A typical vacuum cleaner motor uses 5 amps of current. A 12v car battery x 5A = 60W tops. 240v mains current x 5A = 1200W = 20 times more cleaning power.
P.S. Anyone got experience of using a step-up transformer to convert car battery power to mains? There are some on the market with a mains socket, for low powered gadgets. Just fancied doing a Mr Bean type stunt in a layby one day (maybe clip a hedge, sit in an armchair with a standard lamp, record player,...)
Car vacuum cleaners - Gromit {P}
Anyone got experience of using a step-up transformer to convert car battery power to mains?

You're looking for an inverter, of the type used by the boating and caravanning community to power microwaves, TVs etc. These have heavy current draw and aren't suited to car batteries (boats are fitted with heavy duty deep discharge batteries).

A small portable generator would be more effective (there was a group test published in last month's Sailing Today, which recommended the Honda and Subaru 1000 watt models) but even these may not power an applicance such as a microwave reliably. You need to match the power draw to the generator, irrespective of whether you're running power tools or imitating Mr Bean!
Car vacuum cleaners - Victorbox
The £15'ish purple & grey drum shaped one from Tesco plus the small nozzle kit from Frost Auto makes a good combination. Far more flexible than a Dyson where the flexible hose doesn't flex enough & is far too short. I guess Mr Dyson has never vacuumed a car!
Car vacuum cleaners - Chas{P}
I guess Mr Dyson has never vacuumed a car!

Think he has:

www.amazon.co.uk/Dyson-Cleaning-Fits-models-except...C
Car vacuum cleaners - Xileno {P}
Henry. Best vacuum cleaner ever made IMO.
Car vacuum cleaners - L'escargot
Henry. Best vacuum cleaner ever made IMO.

I've seen them used to clean industrial premises so they must be durable.
--
L\'escargot.
Car vacuum cleaners - FotheringtonThomas
Henry.

I've got one of those, and it is very very good. I want a "George" now though, 'cos of the (wet) upholstery cleaning capability, ability to suck up water, etc.
Car vacuum cleaners - Xileno {P}
We have a 'George' as well - certainly a great tool and brilliant for cleaning car upholstery.
Car vacuum cleaners - Old Steve
I use the Dyson Car Cleaning Kit that Smokin Chaz mentioned above
Its compatible with most Dysons (except the very early ones) the turbo head works great on carpets and upholstry and the flexi crevice tool really gets into those awkward places.

Old Steve
Car vacuum cleaners - legacylad
Girlfriend.
If she reads this I will be into a deficit situation with the brownie points.
Car vacuum cleaners - jase1
> A typical vacuum cleaner motor uses 5 amps of current. A 12v car battery x 5A = 60W tops. 240v mains current x 5A = 1200W = 20 times more cleaning power.

It's not just about the raw power -- any vac with extension hoses tends to lose power and is inefficient as a result.

One very good compromise between size and power can be found in a lot of indie DIY stores. It's a 400W mains-powered vac (usually silver in colour) which is designed like a rechargeable, but bigger and fatter. Even though the motor is smaller, because the system is more direct the suction is as good as a lot of 1000W vacs. Seeing as they're only £8-12, they represent a bargain as well -- you can leave it in the back of the car, and they have a long mains lead so it's easy enough to plug them in.
Car vacuum cleaners - Terry W

In years gone by I have had 2 or 3 12V plug into the lighter socket vacuums. All completely useless.

I now use a £50 wet and dry workshop vacuum from Lidl. You obviously need a 240V supply!! Completely effective including a range of tools.

Were I a flat dweller without power access I would rather put a £ in the slot at the local garage every now and then rather than try another 12V jobbie.

Car vacuum cleaners - sandy56

The best one I have found is the VAX Gator (PET) 18v hand held, but it is very expensive, a lot more than £15.00.

Best alternative is just an extension lead and your domestic vacum cleaner.

Car vacuum cleaners - focussed

In years gone by I have had 2 or 3 12V plug into the lighter socket vacuums. All completely useless.

I now use a £50 wet and dry workshop vacuum from Lidl. You obviously need a 240V supply!! Completely effective including a range of tools.

Were I a flat dweller without power access I would rather put a £ in the slot at the local garage every now and then rather than try another 12V jobbie.

The Parkside brand wet and dry cleaners from Lidl are well worth the money, I've had one of the earlier 1800 watt ones for years, cleans the car out. sweeps the barn and workshop floor, use it as an extractor with power sander, jigsaw, router, massive filter bags etc - about the same price. I even bought a set of motor brushes for it just in case!

Car vacuum cleaners - FoxyJukebox

Never had success with in car vacuuming although very occasionally have wrestled with the household "hoover" and extension lead(s)

For years now have carried a mini dustpan and a hard brush in the boot-that adequately handles footwells and seats .For the funny tight inaccessible areas and the dash-a toothbrush is an ideal niggly area cleaner. Perfect for the dash-where aggressive "hoovering" results in radio dials and cigarette lighters sometimes dissapearing into oblivion!

Cost-£Dustpan and brush=£5 tops and £1 for the toothbrush.

Car vacuum cleaners - argybargy

The missus bought me a 12v Black and Decker a few years ago, and if I want to give the car a quick once over that doesn't bear much scrutiny, its fine.

If, however I want to give it a proper clean, it has to be "run out all that infernal cable and use the Vax". Powerful but noisy as Hell, and leaves your ears ringing after any more than ten minutes of use.

One option I haven't yet tried is, rather than sucking it up, blowing all the crud out of the carpet and seats with my cordless leaf blower, though I think I'd need to be careful not to aim it at the window switches and stuff.

Car vacuum cleaners - KB.

Is it just coincidence that there's been a handful of posts resurrected from 10 years ago?

On the basis that someone (if not the orginal enquirer) might just be seeking thoughts on low power car vacuum cleaners, I'd also say save your money. An old mains cylinder cleaner or somehing like the Henry or Vax would be loads better. (I use a Vax).

I do happen to have the Makita 18 volt handheld vacuum cleaner and it's fine for what it's designed and used for - but certainly not ideal for the car.

Edited by KB. on 21/02/2018 at 16:20

Car vacuum cleaners - KJP 123

Is it just coincidence that there's been a handful of posts resurrected from 10 years ago?

There are and it would seem better to start a new thread but this is a post on a 6 mnth old thread.

Personally, I find no difference between any of the East Europeans that vacuum my car.

Car vacuum cleaners - argybargy

Just to add a further dimension to this antediluvian discussion, we've recently bought one of those Dyson cordless things. The handheld bit is very good around the house and on the floormats themselves, but not so good when it comes to reaching crevices around the car seats etc. However, thats probably because I was too mean to buy the proper tools for it.

Car vacuum cleaners - KB.

Six month old thread? That's odd as I can see the original post going back to July 2007.

Car vacuum cleaners - KJP 123

Six month old thread? That's odd as I can see the original post going back to July 2007.

Really referencing where it started again in August 2017 after a 10 year lapse.

Car vacuum cleaners - barney100

Do you remove the wand thing from your Dyson? With it out it goes anywhere.

Car vacuum cleaners - Senexdriver
I haven’t read the whole thread, but here’s my experience for what it’s worth.

It was such a fag getting the household cleaner out on to the drive, with an extension lead and all the attachments. Vacuuming the car interior didn’t take place as often as it should. Then I retired and found I had time to give a bit more care to my car. I bought a Black and Decker carvac for £50 after reading favourable online reviews. What a waste of money that was ??

Around the same time, SWMBO and I decided to try a Dyson V6 or V8 for household use as the old faithful Miele mains powered cleaner was also a fag to drag upstairs with all its attachments, efficient though it was (still is). We thought that the Dyson could live upstairs and the Miele could be limited to downstairs duties. In the back of my mind I was also thinking of the Dyson for car cleaning.

So we bought the V8 for £500, a lot of money but so far, 2 years later, a good investment. It whizzes round the bedrooms easily and doing the stairs is now a doddle. And to get to the point, it does the car a treat. It has a good selection of attachments, including a mini turbo thing, and a high suction setting which is really good for all the crud that collects in the most inaccessible places of the car. So, an expensive solution, but given its multiple uses worth it in my view.
Car vacuum cleaners - Cluedo

IMO the best vacuum cleaners you can buy are Sebo or Miele but I keep a Henry in the garage for the car and it is very good for what it costs. When I previously bought battery car vacuums I never liked the idea of keeping a vacuum cleaner permanently on charge in the garage. We used to have a Dyson but it fell to bits very quickly and then when I bought a Sebo the rubbish that was in the nag proved that the Dyson is not that good. And I have never understood this bagless thing when you breathe in all the carp when emptying it.

Car vacuum cleaners - skidpan

IMO the best vacuum cleaners you can buy are Sebo or Miele but I keep a Henry in the garage for the car and it is very good for what it costs.

We currently have 2 Miele's, one upstairs and one downstairs. Excellent cleaners, had them for years. Got a Charles in the garage, bought it when we renovated the house, wet and dry thus cost more than a Henry but more versatile. The plasterer we used had one a s well and said he would not buy anything else.

We used to have a Dyson but it fell to bits very quickly and then when I bought a Sebo the rubbish that was in the nag proved that the Dyson is not that good.

MIL had a Dyson it was noisier than any other vacuum on the planet but picked up very little actual rubbish. When it started to disassemble itself we bought her a cheap Hoover which whilst not that much quieter certainly picked up loads of stuff left by the Dyson.

Simply an expensive waste of money.

Car vacuum cleaners - Bartur

Hey. You can see some recommendations here xxxx. I believe that according to the specifications on this website, a suitable model of a vacuum cleaner is indicated for you. Since a small model is needed for a car, but it combines all the necessary functions and is quite powerful.

Edited by Avant on 21/08/2019 at 14:50

Car vacuum cleaners - alan1302

Hey. You can see some recommendations here xxxx. I believe that according to the specifications on this website, a suitable model of a vacuum cleaner is indicated for you. Since a small model is needed for a car, but it combines all the necessary functions and is quite powerful.

I'm suer you are not related to the website as well...

Edited by Avant on 21/08/2019 at 14:50

Car vacuum cleaners - Avant

I do wish people wouldn't quote the spam when commenting on it. It means I've got to edit this post as well.

If it happens again I'm just going to delete both.

I do wish people wouldn't quote the spam when commenting on it. It means I've got to edit this post as well.

If it happens again I'm just going to delete both.

Why don't you just delete spam posts anyway?

Car vacuum cleaners - Avant

The majority are deleted automatically by the software. Those that aren't, I delete as soon as possible, but sometimes not before someone has elected to comment on it, quoting the spam link.

Car vacuum cleaners - Bartur

The majority are deleted automatically by the software. Those that aren't, I delete as soon as possible, but sometimes not before someone has elected to comment on it, quoting the spam link.

Isn't that a spam link? Why don't you delete it?

Car vacuum cleaners - Chas{P}I guess Mr Dyson has never vacuumed a car!

Think he has:

Car vacuum cleaners - Chas{P}I guess Mr Dyson has never vacuumed a car!

Think he has:

Doesn't mean Mr Dyson himself has ever vacuumed a car though!

Car vacuum cleaners - madf

ABbve link goes to US sites so irrelevant..

Car vacuum cleaners - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I mostly use our SEBO X4 after our old heavy Dyson demised. I also have a handheld Dyson 21 volt. The battery only enables it to run for a few seconds at a time but it does suck strongly. I noticed that replacement lithium batteries are available for £20, worth trying. I only paid £3 for the cleaner from a charity shop.

Car vacuum cleaners - gordonbennet

Our Sebo S4 died last year, didn't last as long as one might have hoped and in all honesty was too heavy to be used regularly, wouldn't have another.

Vax airstretch replaces it as an upright and would serve very well as a car vacuum so long as mains power is available due to its really long extension vacuum pipe (also an exceptionally long mains power lead), a James is also here which is light and agile and surprisingly powerful for such a small appliance, again mains only.

Both are needed due to three dogs, and both make short work of the the cars, you would not believe the amount of hair two cocker spaniels can shed!

Car vacuum cleaners - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

My refurbished Dyson hand held DC16 works well with a new battery and filters via Googling. A good £23 investment.

I think the mains SEBO X4 will still suck better, but the Dyson will be speedier to use.

Car vacuum cleaners - Steveieb

Most reviews rate the G tech which is on offer at the moment.

very impressed with the cleaner which removed dog hairs from my new car !