Can't get the basics right - Aprilia
What hope is there for the retail motor industry when dealers can't get even the basics right?

My sister's Suzuki Swift had to go into the dealer for a recall check (handbrake cable fitting to be checked - it seems some had not been assembled properly).
Anyway, after 30 mins they gave the car back to her; no rectification work required - everything OK. They commented that they had also 'adjusted' it for her.

She called me later in the day to say that she was now struggling to apply the handbrake - could I take a look at it?

She bought it round and I tried to apply the handbrake - it was very hard to get it to even the first 'click' and the back brakes were quite hot. Obviously someone had wound up the adjuster until there was no slack in the cable! The spec. on these is wheel lock at 4-9 clicks.

Couple of minutes with my 10mm ratcheting ring and we were back to 5-clicks and everything was fine and dandy again.

It makes you despair that dealers cannot even get the most elementary jobs done right and they expect to charge customers up to £100/hour for this quality of work.
Can't get the basics right - mjm
Financial director's Sierra Ghia dropped off for first service, parked alongside identical car in the servicing area. Other car in for steering column change.

I dropped him off to pick his up. He came out laughing, "I've got a new steering column and no service"

Other Sierra had the opposite.
Can't get the basics right - nortones2
There's worse than that. Try East Birmingham Hospital with a gammy leg: surgeon amputates good leg. Then the error is noticed. It doesn't get a nice ending.
Can't get the basics right - local yokel
Which is why you will find many on this forum happy with their older cars and the indy garages that service them.
Can't get the basics right - normd2
almost happened to my sister. at 16 she was in for a leg op, another woman of 60 or so with exactly the same name in for a leg amputation, mix up only noticed in the operating theatre fortunately before the op started!
Can't get the basics right - L'escargot
It makes you despair that dealers cannot even get the most elementary jobs done right

It's somewhat unfair to generalise and use the word "dealers". It sounds as if you're tarring them all with the same brush. The fault was down to the individual fitter/technician. Next week he could be sacked for bad workmanship and end up working in the sector (much-praised in the Backroom) generally called independents". In 40 years I've always had totally acceptable service from "dealers", but based on a bad experience I'm just as biased against "independents" as you obviously are against "dealers".
--
L\'escargot.
Can't get the basics right - jase1
Well I had a 1st-2nd gear synchro replaced on a Hyundai that turned out to be nothing more than a clicky linkage. Thankfully under warranty.

In my experience dealers seem far too ready to diagnose part replacements as a solution to every fault that comes in, regardless of whether it needs the part or if a simple adjustment would fix things.

Eventually got the linkage adjusted after much exasperation where they wouldn't believe me. Needless to say it fixed the problem.
Can't get the basics right - local yokel
>The fault was down to the individual fitter/technician.

Or was it down to the lack of good management, training, supervision and investment on the part of the dealership?
Or was it down to the lack of good management training supervision and investment on
the part of the dealership?

Someone holding an apprenticeship certificate is assumed to be competent until proved otherwise.
--
L\'escargot.
In my experience dealers seem far too ready to diagnose part replacements as a solution
to every fault

That's not my experience. You're generalising, just the same as Aprilia.
--
L\'escargot.
Can't get the basics right - Clk Sec
My own experience of using independents in the past was not good. I've been using main dealers now for the last 15 years and have been well satisfied.

Clk Sec
Can't get the basics right - yorkiebar
There is good and bad in both sectors obviously.

But, generally most main dealers have 1 experienced mechanic (he gets all the tougher diagnostic, off beat problems. Then they may have 1 or 2 qualified but young guys who tend to do the bigger jobs like cluthces etc. The majority of servicing and routine work is done by the others who are apprentices or similar. So most of the work on your car is probably done by unskilled youngsters with little or no supervision but at the same rate that the top guy is charged out at.

If you are happy with this then no one is trying to change your opinion, 99% of the time its probably perfectly good enough.

But just because they have fancy premises doesnt make them better. Its packaging, just like the difference between tescos etc and the cheaper supermarkets.

Room for both/all.
Can't get the basics right - Saltrampen
Agree with Yorkiebar apart from if you speak to some of those youngsters, some of them
have been customising/modifying their own car mechanically in their own time, so are very familar with the main components on the car.....
For the others, its just a job and they switch off when they leave.
At the main dealer the top guy probably only sees a fraction of the cost per hour (as we all know), so I am more miffed about where my money goes when I see staff surfing the net or just chatting in the comfy reception area whilst the mechanic is struggling trying to remove some inaccessible seized nut.

Also I have seen several incompetant/less skilled older mechanics whose one man businesses have failed, being bounced between one outfit and the next. Many garages seem to need temporary cover and so hire such people, when they realise they are useless, the mechanics contract has ended and they've messed up numerous customer cars. Hopefully such people working in the business are a minority....but I have seen 2 cases like this in the last 10 years.

Can't get the basics right - nortones2
We've used both main dealers and independents. A chain my wife used to replace a faulty rad gave her the run around when it leaked. They'd farmed the job out, so rather than sort if for her, they sent her to the guy who'd messed up. She, not realising the chain were responsible, since she paid them not their odd job man, assented. Ended up having the main dealer (VW) start again - job OK. Can be false economy to try to get it done on the cheap. Better perhaps to shop on quality rather than price. If only you could be sure of a good job, that only needs to be done once!
Can't get the basics right - Lud
The OP describes something that should hardly ever happen. In a properly run garage, where a monkey has been let loose on a car, a human being is supposed either to keep an eye on the monkey or check its work afterwards. Seems to me there's no excuse for this not being done.

I trust Aprilia had a few choice words, or even paragraphs, for the service manager concerned.
Can't get the basics right - normd2
not always - I had brake discs replaced by a large main dealer garage who advertised 'all makes servicing' To cut a long story short, the next day after my wheel bearings had overheated, collapsed and the heat had welded all the stub axle bits and pieces together, the workshop foreman, service manager and senior manager all nodded sagely as the monkey described using the air brace on maximum torque to refit my wheel bearings; this on RWD car with taper front bearings... Cost them a fortune to repair my car.
Can't get the basics right - Number_Cruncher
Well, I'm not going to defend the obvious incompetence of overtightening the handbrake cable as in the OP.

However, genuine mistakes do happen. The only people who make no mistakes are those who do nowt. I suspect that all those who post on here and are in trade will have made some real screaming foul ups during their careers - it's almost inevitable. In all probability, they won't have made many errors, and probably will have learn from the error and not repeated it. That's one of the differences between a good and a bad mechanic.

Although I can't defend the indefensible - main dealer rates are outrageous - effectively because they must pay for things that you probably don't care about. As Aprilia has mentioned before, servicing and repairs could be done from much cheaper premises with far fewer coffee swilling non-productive members of staff. The mechanics - effectively at the bottom of this food chain see very little of this charged out hourly rate in their pay pckets, see very little in terms of training and career development, and see the bare minimum investment in tools and facilities. When you see the labour time allowances given for the more tricky jobs, and realise that many dealership mechanics effectively clock on and off each car they work on, it's no wonder that the tricky problems don't get the attention they deserve.

As an example, when I was in the workshop, Vauxhall allowed half an hour to track down electrical faults. If I took any longer, I was losing pay. Being young, single, and mortgage free, it didn't worry me too much, but for most mechanics, spending longer than 0.5 hours simply wasn't an option. So, after a brief time, if the fault wasn't found, they would fit something related to the fault, and send the car out. Not good for the customer, but, you would probably do the same yourself if you found yourself in that position.

As ever, customers want their cars servicing by Cambridge Professors, while paying YOP rates, but, the blatant profiteering of the dealers is the real villain of the piece.

In terms of the ratio between charge out rate and mechanics pay rate, independents are less exploitative of their mechanics, but also tend to ask more of them in terms of poorer working conditions and a lower tolerance of mistakes.

Number_Cruncher

Can't get the basics right - Dalglish
..I trust Aprilia had a few choice words, or even paragraphs, for the service manager

concerned

that would not be very british, would it. now if it was the usa, ....

Can't get the basics right - jase1
That's not my experience. You're generalising just the same as Aprilia.

No, I'm reporting my experiences. That's why I used words like "in my experience", and "seem".
No I'm reporting my experiences. That's why I used words like "in my experience" and
"seem".

You said "dealers". Exactly how many dealers are you talking about?
--
L\'escargot.
Can't get the basics right - Citroënian {P}
Think I've posted here before, but BMW couldn't fit the new steering wheel onto our old MINI straight. I drove it 200 yards, realised they'd not got it right so took it back and asked for it to be sorted. When they insisted it must have always have been like that (30 degrees off centre on a 18 month old car), I insisted in rather more robust terms that they sorted it.

Given the glass palaces they operate from and the prices they charge, I would have expected far, far better.

That incident seriously dented our confidence in BMW's service depts (if they're doing that to stuff we can see, what about the stuff we can't?) and was a major factor in getting rid of the car.
-- Biggedy biggedy bong
Can't get the basics right - Screwloose
What hope is there for the retail motor industry when dealers can't get even the
basics right?

Very little hope... I've been warning for years that the whole grubby business is sleepwalking into disaster; but no-one agreed.... then!

In many areas of the country it's now almost impossible to recruit even incompetant "improvers." [They were known as improvers on the basis that they couldn't get any worse...] Not knowing how to adjust a handbrake cable [or having the sense to leave it alone!] is fairly typical of that category.

Car manufacturers were sold the fantasy that all this electrickery was self-diagnosing and happily loaded more and more complication on to their vehicles because they could - not caring at all whether they should...

More complex cars need more highly trained repairers; but if there aren't any staff at a dealership who have the intellectual capability to even understand the training, where do they go from there.

Dealers have been merrily poaching diag techs from anywhere that they could; but their expectations that you can buy your way to fixing all your problems simply by having someone in the workshop on £50K have proved unfounded. Very few of these "stars" have appreciated taking the blame for every "boomerang job" when they've had no support from their employers or colleagues and so have simply moved yet again - or got out of the game.

There was a lot more to this post; but as this is all that can be saved in Preview from the "Log in" trap you'll have to make it up for yourselves.
Can't get the basics right - henry k
>>In many areas of the country it's now almost impossible to recruit even incompetant "improvers." [They were known as improvers on the basis that they couldn't get any worse...]
>>
Excuse me!
I was an "improver" and got several years of good training alongside very skilled guys.
In my day an improver was in effect an apprentice but did not get no xx years contract or a certificate at the end.
It was with a small organisation - The BBC.
Can't get the basics right - Screwloose
henry k

Sorry to give offence when I wasn't intending to.

I did specify "incompetent" improvers - a category that, clearly, you never were.
Can't get the basics right - barney100
I suppose main dealers have big overheads, the modern diagnostic equipment must be horrendously expensive, the upkeep of fancy premises and wages etc. all adds up. Apperently the profit from selling new cars isn't all that great so the money has to come from somewhere and that is parts and labour. the dealers don't just have to pay the mechanics but the receptionists, parts men, salesmen, it goes on and on. I still don't like paying £90 an hour though.
>>.... main dealers have big overheads, ..... the profit from selling new cars isn't all that great ..

agreed.

unfortunately, the red robbo attitude blinds some people on this forum and leads them to make comments without any evidence to back thier statements ( such as "...the blatant profiteering of the dealers is the real villain of the piece...").

the actual profits made by the dealers (the big ones in the uk are pendragon, lookers, and inchcape) can be easily checked out with a little reseearch.

eg.
www.inchcape.com/mediacentre/news/?id=2948
inchcape profit before tax £213m on turnover of £4.8bn = less than 0.5% profit.

www.motortrader.com/25286/Pendragon-blames-market-...l
pendragon profit before tax £143m on turnover of £5bn

www.motortrader.com/story_asset/24414/Lookers-prel...l
lookers profit before tax £26m on turnover of £1.4bn

note that honda dealers are said to be the most profitable
www.carpages.co.uk/honda/honda-profits-26-10-06.asp
www.motortrader.com/24478/Honda-dealers-make-recor...l

In an increasingly tough operating environment, the composite net average profit percentage throughout the Honda dealerships is also well ahead too - 1.4% compared to the independently assessed industry average of 0.6%

Year to date the average net profitability of a Honda dealer was up to £107,000 - a whopping 97% (£53,000) improvement over last year.

The Honda dealer network achieved an average 1.3 per cent return for 2006 compared to an industry average return of 0.8 per cent.

... less than 0.5% profit.

:: typo ::
that should read " less than 5.0 % profit "
Can't get the basics right - Number_Cruncher
Not at all red-robbo!

If the dealer's profits were truly so small, the doors would have long since closed. If anyone thinks that's a true reflection of the picture, then, that's touchingly naive.

The mechanics in many cases are being exploited - it is this profiteering which I find villainous. In general, it doesn't take them too long to see this, and many mechanics quickly leave the trade. Market forces at work - I've no problem with that (It's excatly the route I took). The staff turnover is really rapid - there's only one mechanic in the workshop where I used to work who has been there for over 3 years. In the long term, it's the customer who loses out.

Mechanics who are any good can always earn more and enjoy better conditions out of the trade - their skills are more valued by other employers. A number of my ex-colleagues are now working in the maintenance departments of varios factories in the area, and are much happier.

Phrased another way, if your adolescent child came home and avowed a wish to become a car mechnic, I suspect most people would react by suggesting other alterntaive outputs for their technical skills! If it were my child wanting to be a mechanic, I would be most discouraging.

There are a few who stay in the trade because they are truly enthusiastic, and if you can find one of these people to work on your car, then you'll be OK.

Number_Cruncher

I still don't like
paying £90 an hour though.

If you're paying £90 per hour then the mistake you're making is your choice of the part of the country where you get your car serviced. I get mine serviced at a franchised dealer for less than half that figure.
--
L\'escargot.