Missing V5 registration document - Galad
My FiL bought a brand new car from an internet company in September 2006. He collected the car from the company premises and it was exactly what he had specified with only 3 miles on the clock. Taking the car back to Northern Ireland he was told by the firm's Director that the V5 would follow but that he should be prepared to wait several months for this.

Six months passed and no sign of the V5. He rang the seller who was puzzled but agreed to send out a duplicate and to wait up to 21 days. June came and went then he rang again to say it hadn't arrived. They were even more puzzled but again agreed to send a duplicate on 5 July and to wait up to 14 days. The document has still not arrived and it's the 25 July (albeit there have bee 2 postal strikes). The odds of something getting lost in the post 3 times over the space of 9 months must be astronomical

His car is due to be taxed at the end of and he's getting really concerned. I've checked the DVLA website and the vehicle is registered with them. Assuming that the V5 doesn't arrive this time what are his options as regards ensuring that he is the recorded as the Registered Keeper of the vehicle? Can he simply apply top DVLA for a duplicate when they don't seem to have asked to send out an original in the first place?

Any advice must appreciated.
Missing V5 registration document - normd2
Can't you tax it on-line? That's how I got my last tax disc. Now that MOTs are on a database I assume the on-line process checks for a valid MOT and that it's insured, put in your credit/debit card number and that's it - took three or four days to arrive and didn't need to queue in the post office to get it.
Missing V5 registration document - local yokel
To tax online you need the code on the V11, and that's sent to the regd keeper.
Missing V5 registration document - Dalglish
galad:

you said here
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=53633&...e
that your f-i-l had applied to the dvla for a v5.

did you not follow up the reply given there by bell-boy?

also, see
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=42064&...f
and
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=25451&...f

Missing V5 registration document - Dalglish
galad:

re. your friend here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=52260&...f

q. is he your f-i-l ?

re. your friend here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=52260&...f

q. is he your f-i-l ?

Yes, Daglish, both friend and FiL!
Hi Guys

I had completely forgotten that I'd posted this up before - thanks so much for the reminder (yet another senior moment!).

Missing V5 registration document - normd2
Ah! so you do - oh well it was just a thought. Mind you in that case wouldn't the reminder go to the dealer who could then tax it as a goodwill gesture for the hassle he's had - just another thought. Two in one day - I'm going for a wee lie down.