Peugeot 406HDi Economy - Wee Willie Winkie
2002 Peugeot 406HDi on 121,000. I?m struggling to get over 40mpg. Even on a long run to Cornwall from the North West I achieved 45mpg at a steady 70mph.

My usual daily use is a mix of motorway, A roads and town centre ? approx 50 miles a day. I don?t drive like a maniac, nor like a nun..!

Recently been MOT?d and emissions were fine. Recent service where filters etc were changed.

Does anyone have any brightspark ideas as to why the economy is low?

Many thanks!

DB
Peugeot 406HDi Economy - Ford Dagenham
Hello

A few ideas spring to mind.

Tyre pressures. Make sure they are kept up I check my tyres every time i fill up.

Do not carry unnecessary items in the boot or on a roof rack.

Is your tracking and balancing correct.

Binding rear brakes I.E. when hot

Drivebelts too tight (not cambelt)

Do you use the air con or leave the windows open a lot when driving.

Last hint please do not be offended but how heavy is your right foot.

I hope these ideas come to some use.

They are just my opinions.

--
(iam not a mechanic)
Martin Winters
Peugeot 406HDi Economy - nick74
You're not calculating the MPG in US gallons are you ? ;-)

Peugeot 406HDi Economy - Screwloose
DB

Engine size/code? Does it have a FAP? [DPF]
Engine size is 1997cc and the engine number is DYHL3015261. I can't answer you about the FAP [DPF] - what's that?!

Thanks,
DB
DB

If it's the 2-litre version, then there will be RHZ, RHY or RH? in the VIN number letters.

FAP = Filtre Aux Particulates: a d-iesel p-articulate f-ilter in the exhaust that costs < 20% of your fuel consumption. Standard on the 2.2HDi, it turns up on a few later 2.0ltrs too.
Peugeot 406HDi Economy - 659FBE
I'd be very interested to know the outcome of this question as I've seen this problem before, twice. Both were 90 BHP 2 litre HDi engines (no intercooler) and both showed no fault codes and gave the expected levels of vehicle performance. However both had lousy fuel consumption and were sold on before I could get my hands on them to have a look. The vehicles were in reasonable condition and were checked for binding brakes, poor tracking etc.

The PSA HDi engine was on my short list when I made my last vehicle change, but this and bad detailing (eg. fuel filter housing design, wiring and connectors) put me off. VAG got the cheque.

Peugeot 406HDi Economy - mss1tw
This happened on mine I and I think the timing was slightly out.

You do also get some HDi vans in fleet use that are far worse on fuel than "identical" others. [Not just down to the drivers.]

Either it's a software timing issue; or there's a slightly over-reading MAF or something making the difference. Unlike a petrol; there's no feedback to a diesel ECU on it's success at accurate fuelling.

Without a Lambda probe and long/short fuel trim data; a diesel ECU will just keep-on chucking it in.

I'd agree that the PD is by far the best of the electro-diesels. [Even Land-Rover can make them work OK...] I'd have done the wiring a lot better though - and as for what they've now done to the heads on the 2ltrs....

Peugeot 406HDi Economy - 659FBE
My PD is one of the last 130 PS Cat III 1.9 litre units. I wouldn't touch the later ones with a barge pole.

On the later 2 litre unit, the mechanical execution of the balancer shaft drive, the camshaft drive and follower arrangement and most of all the self-blocking DPF (which requires the engine to burn extra fuel to get it hot enough to burn off the soot) conspire to make this a far less useful power unit than the old 1.9. The Euro Cat IV diesel engine is probably not now worth buying from anyone.

Politicians involved with engine design = useless solutions.

And on top of all that - the heads crack; some at around 60K. [Just like the TD5 PD does - odd that....]
Well, completely unscientific, but I reset the mpg-ometer in the Pug for my journeys home and to work. Over 50 miles it returned a claimed 49.6mpg. I was driving as economically as possible, so it is easy to see how in the real world this figure takes a nosedive.

DB
Peugeot 406HDi Economy - nick74
Have you ever checked the fuel computer for accuracy ?

I find in my Xsara HDi the MPG per the display can be 5, and occasionally up to 10, MPG lower than the real figure calculated between fill ups.
Peugeot 406HDi Economy - madf
If the OP is using the fuel computer to give the figures quoted, then this discussion is a complete waste of time. Notoriously inaccurate. I would not even look at one. The only analysis worth looking at is miles/fuel used over say 2,000 miles.

Measurement inaccuracies of 15% +! Junk!
madf
Peugeot 406HDi Economy - Altea Ego
>The only analysis worth looking at is miles/fuel used over say 2,000 miles.
>Measurement inaccuracies of 15% +! Junk!

Not strictly true. What you do is measure a few brim to brims, see how that compares with the fuel computer. Once you have worked out the inaccuracy it becomes a useful "spot check"

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
"If the OP is using the fuel computer to give the figures quoted...."

No, I'm not. I just thought it would be interesting to see what it said when driving uber economically....