Roadworks on M1...Advice needed please - 007
Reluctantly, I anticipate having to make a journey in about ten days time from Lichfield, Staffs, to Tunbridge Wells, Kent, and return.

I have not used M42/M6/M1/M25 for a year or two. M6 is always a pain but, in particular, I wonder what awaits me on the M1 in the region of Junction 8? I regularly hear references on Radio 5 to The Roadworks in that vicinity as if they are something permanent :o( What sort of delays am I likely to encounter there? I will not be travelling in the rush hour but I suppose most times of day are rush-hour-ish the nearer one gets to London!

Suggestions welcome. TIA.
Roadworks on M1...Advice needed please - Roger Jones
The M1 roadworks between junctions 8 and 10 are local to me and mega-major: widening of the carriageways. They will go on for many more months. Throughflow often seems reasonably steady off peak -- paired speed cameras throughout -- but forget it at peak times and be prepared for a very slow crawl in weather such as today.

You might be better off getting down to the M40.
Roadworks on M1...Advice needed please - ijws15
I live in Rugeley and have experienced them - would use either M40 and southern section of M25 or A14/M11 depending on time of day.
Roadworks on M1...Advice needed please - Altea Ego
M1 south of Luton is a no go area.

M25, M40, M42, M6 toll exit JT5

I do it in about 2 hours from M25 J10.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Roadworks on M1...Advice needed please - Altea Ego
Of course from your place it will be

JT5 m6 toll, M42, M40, M25
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Roadworks on M1...Advice needed please - bigvolvo
There at raodworks that start just north of J10 (Luton Airport) running down to J8 (Hemel Hempstead). There's a 50 Limit all the way through and there can be bad delays at pretty much any time on the approach.

It only takes one idiot and the whole thing grinds to a halt.

Your alternatives for that stretch aren't really up to much. You could always leave the M1 at J14 (Milton Keynes) and pick up the A5/A5183 down to Hemel Hempstead and then the A41 to M25 J20, but then you'll be going through Dunstable Town Centre on the A5 and that's always very slow.
Roadworks on M1...Advice needed please - GS
Leave M1 at J15A, take A43 south until M40 J10 then M40 to M25. Far less stressful but watchout for speed cameras on the A43.
Roadworks on M1...Advice needed please - daveyjp
I'm with TVM - if I was doing this journey the M1 wouldn't feature in any part of it.

Having used the M6 toll from jcn 5 to the M42 out of curiosity, I'd save cash and use the A38/A446 to the M42, it takes a bit longer as the A446 is single NSL, but you are only on it for 5 miles.
Roadworks on M1...Advice needed please - Dalglish
I'm with TVM - if I was doing this journey the M1 wouldn't feature in any part of it. ..

agreed. it is a no-brainer as far as i am concerned. i can't see why anyone would want to do the route proposed by the o.p. except in a situation where the m40 was out of bounds for some reason.

Roadworks on M1...Advice needed please - 007
Many thanks for those suggestions. The proposed route was the one which came up in AA on-line Route Planner.