Cheap new driver motoring - runboy
SWMBO has recently passed her driving test and doesn't fancy driving our spanking new car and would much prefer a smaller, cheap runabout she can use to get some driving hours under her belt.

So if I fork out £500 on a Fiesta/Corsa/ A N Other, what should I look out for. Obviously a years MOT. Any car in this price range better or worse than the others?

Thanks for any advice.
Cheap new driver motoring - LinuxGeek
I'm not an expert in motoring industry by any means but with that sorts of budget Nissan Micra would be your best bet. It'll be very hard to find a car with power steering with that sorts of money and I believe micra's steering would be lighter than corsa, fiesta etc.. and it'll be less troublesome too.
Cheap new driver motoring - normd2
runboy you should get in touch with DP - see car snobs thread, and see if you can come to a deal on his Fiesta
Cheap new driver motoring - DP
There are two schools of thought.

Buy a Ford or Vauxhall which will be cheap to maintain.

Buy Japanese because it won't go wrong in the first place.

I would go with the former on the grounds that no £500 car, no matter how well built originally, will be problem free, and you want cheap bits and easy maintenance. I replaced discs and pads on my Fiesta for example for £25 using known branded parts. A new radiator cost me £75.

Because of this, you'll probably find the insurance is cheaper as well.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
97 Ford Fiesta 1.4 16v Chicane (for sale)