Why are police cars in silver ? - honeybear
Have noticed that alot of the new police patrol cars around the Strathclyde area and in the Met area are silver, they seem to be a little less conspicuous on the road,could this be the reason.
Why are police cars in silver ? - Stuartli
There are so many silver cars that even the guilty would probably feel at ease.....
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Why are police cars in silver ? - bell boy
because silver goes better with black uniforms
higher residues
silver is the new white

as an aside its a bad colour for police cars as this colour can fade into the background and could cause somebody not to see them if going to a scene and could cause a collision

but as always money comes first so residuals it is
Why are police cars in silver ? - Westpig
bell boy is correct, the re-sale value is projected to be higher in silver, rather than white

although to my mind a totally wrecked car is a heap whatever colour it is
Why are police cars in silver ? - Vansboy
& as the quik fix accident repairs, carried out cause the bodywork to look even worse, once de-liveried.

The hard edges on the paint looks even worse & costs more to correct, once sent for disposal.

But don't tell that to the clever decision makers, at PITO, or whatever they call themselves.

VB
Why are police cars in silver ? - Fullchat
You're not wrong there!
--
Fullchat
Why are police cars in silver ? - Fullchat
Above is response to Westpig. Why do my replies end up at the end instead of below the post I'm responding to??

PITO is now NPIA - National Police Improvement Agency- should be a job for life ;-)
--
Fullchat
Why are police cars in silver ? - Dynamic Dave
Fullchat, if you look at this thread in 'threaded view', and all *should* be come self explanatatory.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=54119&...t

Vansboy replied to Westpig before you, so you were next in the list after him.
Had Vansboy replied to someone other that Westpig, and no one else replied to Westpig either, then your reply would have come straight after.
Why are police cars in silver ? - Sprice
Yeah as others have said its to do with resale value. Maybe a coincidence, but I no longer like silver for cars (since police cars became silver) and much prefer white!
Why are police cars in silver ? - Martin Devon
Beware. there is a dark blue very plain volve estate on the M5. Seen 8 miles south of Taunton 10 days ago....sneeeeeky.

MD
Why are police cars in silver ? - Sprice
I was pulled by a navy blue undercover Volvo several years back. It had the usual give aways- blue lights behind grill and no dealer name on base of number plates.
Why are police cars in silver ? - BobbyG
On the way down the M6 a couple of weeks ago there was an accident where an older style Rolls Royce or Bentley had went into the crash barrier.

It was a dark blue Volvo estate that was in attendance there, don't know if it was involved in the crash or just helping at the aftermath!
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Why are police cars in silver ? - 02skn
Silver police cars cannot be seen in the rain. They may be behind you and you will never know untill the blue lights come on!
Why are police cars in silver ? - bell boy
Silver police cars cannot be seen in the rain.

>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> mm stealth police cars.......are they made of carbon fibre then?.......i wont drone on :-)
Why are police cars in silver ? - 02skn
I read on another web site a serving police officer state that silver patrol cars cannot be seen in your rear view mirror when it is raining. True or false i do not know.
Why are police cars in silver ? - Bromptonaut
Maybe less easy to see than a jam sarnie, but unless they've got an invisibility cloak no harder to see than any other silver car.

Why are police cars in silver ? - Pendlebury
Come on bell end the sarcasim - he is only making a valid point.
Why are police cars in silver ? - neil
"Come on bell end the sarcasim - he is only making a valid point."

Shouldn't there be a comma in there? ;-)
Why are police cars in silver ? - Brian Tryzers
> ...no harder to see than any other silver car.

Which is plenty hard enough. It's raining here today and the silver cars (whose drivers also seem to be the least likely to remember to use their headlights) were much the hardest to see this morning.
Yesterday it was sunny, and it was the black and dark blue ones that got lost in shadows under trees and bridges. There's a lot to be said for fire engine red!
Why are police cars in silver ? - Pendlebury
Yes neil - sorry there should be a comma in my last statement !
Why are police cars in silver ? - retgwte
bright yellow is the easiest colour to see, as far as i can remember from some car safety study or other i read years ago

if you really want high vis cars you should buy bright yellow

Why are police cars in silver ? - Tornadorot
bright yellow is the easiest colour to see as far as i can remember from
some car safety study or other i read years ago

IMHO, you can't beat Dyno-Rod dayglo red for visibility! Shame only Dyno-Rod use it....
Why are police cars in silver ? - Tornadorot
Silver police cars cannot be seen in the rain. They may be behind you and
you will never know untill the blue lights come on!

Surely a police driver, of all people, should be driving with headlights on in poor visibility? :-)
Why are police cars in silver ? - AlanGowdy
Either lack of imagination - or they want them to look as anonymously boring as all the other silver cars.
Why are police cars in silver ? - hillman
Up to a few years ago all of my cars were white. Now I can't get one in that colour because the dealers are not selling any. Perhaps that is the reason.

Light coloured cars are much 'greener' because they reflect the heat from the sun (insolation) which otherwise would make the interior of the car much hotter and hence need more ventilation / air conditioning.