seeking further advice - maggie Wood
Sorry I haven't responded for a while but I have been testing cars like a mad woman and I am still chasing that elusive car "comfortable car for small drivers". I have now had an ergomic test done and find that there are a number of features I need to look for e.g. tilting seat, adjustable lumber support, fully moveable steering wheel. Do any of you chaps/chapesses know of a site where you can put such requirements in and, hey presto, they give a list of cars which have these features? As ever, grateful for advice.
Many thanks.
Maggie
Re: seeking further advice - terryb
Maggie

Lumbar support I hope - unless you're a tree surgeon!

I know of no such site and what you'll get must depend on budget. All the big Chrysler/Jeeps have these features but they're equally big money to buy and run.

Most PSA models might also but lumbar support may only be on the top-end (if you see what I mean).

Afraid that's the limit of my recent experience. Now if you wanted an E93A Ford Prefect.....

Terry
Re: seeking further advice - John Davis

"Now if you wanted an E93A Ford Prefect"

Come on Terry.... If there is anyone who knows what an E93A is, surely, what they need is a Zimmer frame.....
After you with the incontinence pads then!! :o)
Re: seeking further advice - John S
John

To answer your two points:

I do and I don't!

Dad used to have one - an E93A, that is.

Regards

John
Re: seeking further advice - Dave
Maggie - get a bike. YKIMS!
Re: seeking further advice - Jud
You beat me to it
Re: seeking further advice - Brian
My father had an E93A, I never drove it but borrowed one belonging to my girlfriend's friend as "it's the same as dad's".
We went down to Southend with two or three others in the car and I found that the steering was a little stiff and did not self-centre, so one progressed in a series of shallow zig-zags.
Coming back down the A 127 we got pulled by a police car who was under the impression that the zig-zags may have been alcohol-induced.
The Zimmer frame is a lot safer, so long as I don't lean forward too far!
Re: seeking further advice - John Davis
We also went down to Southend in an E93A. This was from South of the river (Kent) and, with the Dartford tunnel still not completed, it was up to Rotherhithe and down the other side. We had the luxury of the 4 door Prefect which, when we had "cased" the Kursal (Who knows what that was ?), for some female company, made the innocent back seat hanky panky a bit easier.
"We went down to Southend with two or three others in the car"

Did you have to pool your petrol ration coupons? ;-)
Re: seeking further advice - crazed
buy a yaris
I lived near Southend 'till I was 4.

The Kursal was some kind of amusement park IIRC.

I wish women liked me as much now as they did when I was 4!!!!
Re: seeking further advice - Dan J
Dave wrote:
>
> I lived near Southend 'till I was 4.
Same here! I visited last weekend and even went to the end of the 1.5 mile long pier.

Fantastic...
Went up there new years day after going to a party with a load of nurses from the local hospital.

Now that *was* fantastic!
Re: seeking further advice - Dan J
I daren't ask, but can imagine it was a pretty interesting :)
You know me Terry?
Nah. Lucky guess Dave! :0)
Re: same advice as given previously - J todd
If you look back at your original post, the advice given there was as good as you are likely to get.

As for the ergonomics/orthopaedic site, again the two that are the best in this regard were given in reply to your question then.

Once again, the Yaris or Fabia seem to be the most likely candidates for you.

Why not get a made to measure seat for you with pedal extensions, etc. if you really are that troubled by back pain?
Re: same advice as given previously - Maggie Wood
Thanks. I did visit the sites suggested earlier and as a result paid Loughborough to do the test for me - it is the outcome of that test which has prompted the question this time around. I have tried the fabia but not the yaris so will look into that.

Lumber (doh) it must be something to do with my name!

Sorry don't know what an E93a is and never been to southend but it sounds like they were good fun.

Thanks for all your help.
Re: same advice as given previously - Trevor Potter
Having tried Fabia and Yaris, the ride of the Yaris is much firmer. The bumps are felt a lot more.

This may not be suitable for you.

(but, hey, do not take any notice of this "Kursal remembering BOF" and try it yourself)
Re: same advice as given previously - crazed
depends which Yaris

Different models have different tyres, which makes quite a big difference

Sporty ones are set up different

etc etc
Re: same advice as given previously - Brian
I followed a Yaris tonight, it doesn't do more than 35 mph.
Re: same advice as given previously - Trevor Potter
But that would be in a 30 limit.
Re: same advice as given previously - Brian
Unfortunately, Trevor, it was first of all in a 60 mph limit.
Followed by 25 mph in a 30 mph limit.
I did not overtake because I was interested to see just what sort of person was capable of such inconsiderate behaviour in the evening rush-hour.

When I pulled alongside at traffic lights I found that it was a young female who was not only chatting to her passenger but was also in the process of eating an apple or a roll.
Re: seeking further advice - Randolph Lee
Maggie,

The last time I bought a M-Benz in the early 80s they still offered (at a large extra cost) the option of an 'orthopedic seat' either left or right or both.... These were built, {of course after you having your Doctor fill out a special form that Benz would provide you via your dealer}... by some secret firm of Black Forest elves and then covered to match the trim of the car back at the Benz works.

My Fathers best friend had a back full of WWII jap shrapnel and swore by them.... even though they are no longer an official M-Benz option I bet the folks at AMG knows who makes them now. (does anyone know when they were dropped from the option list?)

If that fails, then perhaps a check with Recaro? or other custom seat maker would bear fruit? think or all those rally drivers with old semi healed broken bones that need help as they bounce off of the trees in the forest special sections.... someone must make their seats!

some new cars have adjustable pedal distances (mostly ford products over here) as well as adjustable (length and tilt) steering wheels

good luck
Randolph
Nantucket Island, U.S.A.