Ducato 2.5TDi, fuel stop solenoid puzzle - Steptoe
This is not entirely unconnected with my recent query as to the cutting out problem; however best to draw a veil over the *connection*, suffice to say I hadn't achieved the expected high standards of cable routing.

Anyway checking the second repair involved starting and stopping the engine several times in succession and I found that after about six goes the engine wouldn't stop immediately but only after several seconds (no idea if it has always done this or if connected to the recent electrical faults)

I think the injector pump or stop solenoid may have been changed in the past as only one of the three loom wires is connected to the pump, however this made testing easy. On the occasions that the engine didn't stop there was about 0.93volts on this cable.

All I can think of is that the rapid stopping and starting builds up some sort of EMF in the solenoid so it won't let go (in my distant employed past I had come across a similar problem, initially modified by increasing the air gap between core and armature slightly)

Not really a problem, in normal use engine would only be stopped once, but it has aroused my curiosity, any thoughts?

----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure