Cleaning upholstery tips - milkyjoe
Don't know if this is a tech matter {kicks across to discussion} but here goes, just that i would like to know the best way to clean/ freshen up the cloth trim inside of a car ie, light soil and particularly smoke stains ..thanks
Cleaning upholstery tips - spikeyhead {p}
Light stain removal technique.

you'll need the following before you start.

Upholstery cleaner. I've only used Autoglym and dilute truckwash. I wouldn't recommend buying truckwash unless someones shown you how to use it, but it does work really well for cleaning almost any part of a car so long as you get the dilutions right and don't leave it on too long.
Scrubbing brush, the cheap plastic ones in pound shops work best.
Artificial chamois leather
Bucket of clean water

Always put the same amount of effort into cleaning the entire seat surface, otherwise you'll end up with water marks that look worse than the original stain or clean spots that show just hwo dirty the rest of the seat is.

Spray on upholstery cleaner, allow to soak for a little while. Spray it on evenly
Scrub gently with scrubbing brush, again working the entire area evenly.
wash clean using the artificial chamois and bucket of clean water, repeat as necessary.

For worse stains, truckwash, scrubbing and a wetvac work wonders. There's no trace of the chocolate bar that someone had left to melt into the back seat of my mondeo after using this technique.

--
I read often, only post occasionally
Cleaning upholstery tips - Blue {P}
When it comes to issues such as this, my only advice is:-

Pay a professional to do it, you get a much better result! :-)

Blue
Cleaning upholstery tips - Saltrampen
Agree with Spikeyhead, but do not go overboard on liquids, as there are several detectors in the seats which should not get wet.
I use car foam, wipe off with damp cloth, then vax.
Only query is about the "special" waterproof coating some seat are supposed to have.
Would this ruin them ?