Speeding points - colynn
We all know t goes on - Someone else takes the points for a driver. Highly illegal and results in a very stiff sentences and fine if caught. Quite correctly to. If you do the crime take the pain.

But

Have you seen what happens in France and Spain. Thriving market in points being taken by other licence holders. Even adverts on Ebay. Now this is what I call a common market!

Times Article 12/07/07

www.tinyurl.com/397wof

speeding points - Bill Payer
Bizzare that the authorities seem to think there's nothing they can do to stop it!

It does happen here already, but not so openly due to our authorities zelous pursuit of offenders.
speeding points - Dwight Van Driver
Liars and cheats to the stocks in my opinions is good law.

dvd
speeding points - Ian (Cape Town)
Were a few ageing footballers caught up in a similar set-up not too recently?

What - if they are prosecuted - can miscreants expect by way of the law?
Obviously the seller and buyer are both dodgy.

And if I had 12 points for sale on my UK license, would they actually check that I am resident in the UK?
Seems like a growth industry for expats!
speeding points - Pugugly {P}
Indeed or sent to a modern UK prison - even better.
speeding points - Lud
a modern UK prison - even better.

Not everyone's dream of luxury PU but probably a trifle better than the average Cape Town police cell... :o)
speeding points - kingfisher
Apparently a certain "footballer" received a caution today ...not sure what the charge/conviction was but was to do with attempted points avoidance.
speeding points - Ravenger
The points system was developed before speed cameras. In those days getting points meant being stopped by a policeman, generally only if you were exceeding the limit by a large margin. Three points was a fair punishment in those circumstances. It was very unusual for someone to build up enough points for a ban, unless they were a reckless driver.

These days it's virtually possible to lose your licence in a single day, just by exceeding the limit by a few miles an hour, and incurring several sets of points for minor offences, due to the large numbers of automated speed cameras.

Insurance companies are now saying that minor speeding convictions don't show an unsafe driver any more.

It's about time the points system was overhauled, as due to increased enforcement, the points doled out are too harsh for the severity of the crime.

The government was bringing in some sort of legislation for that, if I recall correctly. What happened to it?

speeding points - Lud
I agree with you Ravenger, and so will others, but stand by for a storm of carp...
speeding points - milkyjoe
i wonder how many people are currently banned because of the speed camera, how long is the ban for? ie 12 points on ones license
speeding points - Chicken Vindaloo
I remember my neighbour proudly telling me some years ago that his wife had taken 3 points for him. He's a professional lorry driver and already had a few blemishes on his licence. I was going to mention that they were both guilty of perverting the course of justice, but there didn't seem any point.
speeding points - Westpig
taking points for others is absolutely rife........ it's making crooks out of otherwise straightforward and honest people......what a dreadful,dreadful system.
speeding points - csgmart
Trouble is if they change the system in the future what about all the people caught by speed cameras over the past few years? If all those people were to complain there would be a right old mess.