Yobbo driver and the Blame Game... - Ian (Cape Town)
A man who took an armoured vehicle on a joy ride and flattened a car has been banned from driving.

Jack Carroll "gleefully" drove the 25-tonne Warrior at Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire, in July last year.
Carroll, from Anfield, Merseyside, pleaded guilty to taking the vehicle without consent ... was sentenced to a one-year driving ban and 200 hours of unpaid work.

In mitigation, solicitor Jane Scott, told the court ... the hangars where the Warriors were kept had been left open and the tanks, which were not armed, were left mobilised, meaning the vehicle could be started by pressing a button.

[b]His mother, Tina Carroll, blamed the Army for allowing the incident to happen.

She said: "They leave the hangars open and the tanks mobilised so anyone could go in and anyone could take them.[/b]

All the army's fault Indeed!

Next thing, it will all be M&S's fault when some vermin gets caught shoplifting: "They leave the clothes on the hangers on the racks, so anyone could go in and anyone could take them!"

Yobbo driver and the Blame Game... - Roly93
Brilliant, so when I put 60 litres of fuel in my car and drive off without paying, its Shell's fault for having such inviting forecourts and nice quality diesel !
Yobbo driver and the Blame Game... - OldHand
I've always wanted a crack at something like this. It's great to know that the penalty is so small. Watch your local papers for my attempt!
Yobbo driver and the Blame Game... - zm
[b]His mother Tina Carroll blamed the Army for allowing the incident to happen.
She said: "They leave the hangars open and the tanks mobilised so anyone could go
in and anyone could take them.[/b]

All the army's fault Indeed!

Why am I not surprised???????????

Are these dim witted attitudes unique to this country, or is it the same elsewhere in Europe?
Yobbo driver and the Blame Game... - component part
Pretty unique to the UK I reckon, hence our 'broken' society. How can it not be the guy who stole the cars fault?

Similar vein here, once had an argument with someone about drug addicts. My argument was that a drug addict or alcoholic for instance, has only themselves to blame, regardless of their circumstances it is an act of their own free will to take the drugs etc. No, it's not their fault the person argued back..how can it not be I asked...no adequate response was forthcoming.

It's like stealing a car, fleeing police and then crashing, the mitigation is they are drug addicts...mitigation!
Yobbo driver and the Blame Game... - Altea Ego
Hold On Hold ON!

Let?s be clear here. He didn?t get away with it. Society hasn?t said "well that?s ok then"

If you have nicked a tank. and are up in court, caught bang to rights, you will be scraping the barrel for excuses just a wee bit.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Yobbo driver and the Blame Game... - Waino
Let?s be clear here. He didn?t get away with it. Society hasn?t said "well that?s ok then">>

It was also reported that he left court grinning to his mates and obviously pleased with the result. Clearly he didn't get a good enough kicking.

Round here you can have a great night out smashing things up and you just get an £80 fixed-penalty fine. Excellent value!!!

Yobbo driver and the Blame Game... - OldHand
A driving ban and no custodial sentence sounds like getting away with it to me. I'm quite serious that I'd exchange my UK licence for a crack at an armoured vehicle on a public road with no comebacks.........of course I don't just have a UK licence ;-)
Yobbo driver and the Blame Game... - billy25
oh-Dear! >>nicked a tank................*scraping the barrel* (for excuses)<< is that part of his community punishment?
Yobbo driver and the Blame Game... - Lud
High spirits.

The guy was staying with squaddie friends in the camp it appears.

They told him where the tank was and no doubt encouraged him.

The car had been abandoned and the owner didn't mind it being squashed (one of the squaddies perhaps).

The civil authorities thought he needed a year's ban but not imprisonment. The army clearly didn't give a monkey's. I agree with both.
The car had been abandoned and the owner didn't mind it being squashed >>

Presumably the owner, having been identified, was done for abandoning a vehicle, tax, insurance etc, etc?
Yobbo driver and the Blame Game... - Lud
Who knows, or cares? All inside the camp anyway. This guy wasn't charging round some peaceful innocent suburb on public roads. It was all MoD. Time was when they wouldn't have even let plod in there.
Who knows or cares? All inside the camp anyway. >>

Ah, in that I case, I don't give a monkey's ...... so long as my taxes aren't contributing to clearing up the mess.
Actually, living in these times of car bombs/terrorist threats etc, I'm a bit surprised that abandoned cars are left lying around army camps. Ah, well. :-(
Yobbo driver and the Blame Game... - J Bonington Jagworth
"His mother, Tina Carroll, blamed the Army"

Nothing to do with her, of course...
Yobbo driver and the Blame Game... - GroovyMucker
"He left the court grinning."

Jane will have told him to expect custody (if it's the same Jane Scott I know).

Assuming he had no relevant previous convictions, that's not an unreasonable sentence.