BMW E34 525tds fan belt replacement - PeteS
Hi all. this is my first posting on the site so treat me gently. My 1994 525tds that has done 300,000 miles has shed its fan/alternator/steering pump belt. Can't seem to find a manual for this car. Need to know how to fit the new belt. Have removed the undertray to get at crank pulley but think the tensioner has shifted and can't work out visually what the belt run should be or how to reposition the tensioner and set up the belt. If anyone has pictures, manual, instuctions would be v. grateful. Thanks
BMW E34 525tds fan belt replacement - Hamsafar
You can fit it from the top.
You need to remove fan and shroud.
There is a special way of routing it, and ending with trying to stretch it over the fan pulley while trying to lever the tensioner damper with an extra large screwdriver to get some free play.

I used to get the belt onto the fan pulley as much as possible with the fan mounted, but not the shroud, then use the 34mm? spanner to turn the fan and pulley to pull the belt on.
Other times, I would get it on with a damp kitchen roll in a ball, then start the engine 4/5 times it would flick on.

You need a manual really, try getting BMW TIS off ebay.

You may be able to work it out, maybe you can post a pic and I'll try and remember.

BMW E34 525tds fan belt replacement - Hamsafar
www.mobikit.nl/atotz/rubriek_14/55/2/get.aspx

A bit small, but there you go. remember the aircon uses a separate belt.
You need to flatten the belt in a hairpin shape, and feed it through the tensioner and pulley mounting and then around the pulleys, ie you sort of thread it around the system using the path of the belt, rather than fit it on the front like jim'll fix it putting on a medalian.