Uncomfortable driving position - Frank01
I drive 30,000miles a year mainly on motorways on my weekly commute between Worthing and Birmingham. The driving position on my Peugeot 607 is really now beginning to cause me problems. I have tried all of the seat adjustments but my backside seems to be sinking into the apex of the seat, it appears to be getting worse over time. I am really pleased with the car and loathed to change Is there any simple solution? All ideas would be appreciated.
uncomfortable driving position - retgwte
well you could swap the drivers seat out with an aftermarket alternate, or a seat from a breakers yard

keep the original for when you come to sell

be careful if you have side airbags

uncomfortable driving position - pendulum
You asked for a simple solution...
Tried strategically placing a pillow/cushion etc at the back of the seat to see if you can ease the discomfort that way? That's gotta be one of the first things to try before shelling out money.
uncomfortable driving position - McP
What about one of these?
www.thebackcarewarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Back___Sea...l

Or google 'car seat support'
uncomfortable driving position - Bill Payer
I drove 406's for years and never had a moments trouble.

My Mercedes however, causes me pain at the base of my spine, fixed perfectly by putting a rolled up towel at the base junction of the seat base & back.
uncomfortable driving position - bell boy
OP you never put the mileage of the pewgot,i posted tonight on the very same thing 100,000 miles in cars and the seats do my back in,i would therefore go as suggested with a seat from a low mileage breaker if they will sell you it or if not find something comfortable and get it fitted to your subframe by a good garage,it can be done, i put a suzuki seat in my transit with all the lumbar supports and its heaven to sit in it.
devaluing a car that does 30,000 miles a year wouldnt come into my equation as you only get one back
uncomfortable driving position - PoloGirl
I can't drive Peugeots because of the way the pedals are offset, same with citroens. Five minutes gives me backache.

If changing the car's not an option (!) and you've exhausted the lumbar support, the rolled up towel might just work. Also adjust the headrest to get your head and neck in line - you'd be amazed at the difference that makes and at how many people don't do it.

uncomfortable driving position - Stuartli
Might be worth reading these:

tinyurl.com/3ykg8a

tinyurl.com/2nf3tz

tinyurl.com/38j8um

Also:

www.putnams.co.uk/travel.htm

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
uncomfortable driving position - mike hannon
A few years ago HJ recommended reclining the seat back a little more than normal. Seemed a bit odd but it worked for me.
I've never understood how manufacturers can sell cars that make you sit at an angle to straight ahead. Why would anybody buy one?
uncomfortable driving position - Brian Tryzers
I think a lot of people mistakenly think an upright posture is the correct one for driving. The extreme case of this is the bite-the-wheel posture you see in the Polo doing 55 in the middle lane, but there are plenty of milder ones. Sitting too upright puts all the weight of the upper body onto the base of the spine, which is unnatural and, eventually, damaging. (Vertebrae get squeezed together on the front side of the spine, which can cause discs to bulge outwards at the back.) Reclining the seat a little - not so far that you have to crane your neck forward to see out - spreads some of that weight over the backrest.
Takes a bit of getting used to - took me two years to train Mrs Beest into the habit - but your back will thank you for it. The Loughborough driving ergonomics site in Stuart's link is excellent - well worth going through the 'first principles' setting up guide to get your posture right.

One other thing - too many cars make it hard to adjust the backrest angle on the move or finely enough. A slight change of angle - up or down doesn't really matter, the point is the change - can make a big difference if you're starting to get uncomfortable on a long trip. I've driven cars in the US where you reclined the seat by releasing a locking lever and leaning back against a very soft spring - do that on the move and you'd end up supine in the back seat! The big, friendly, hand-sized wheel is much the best solution.
uncomfortable driving position - frazerjp
Recently tried the sofa cushion thing in my Fiesta & that worked a treat.
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Uncomfortable driving position - Frank01
Thanks for all your ideas. I try the rolled up towell and adjusting the seat so I am not so upright initially. I'll let you know if any improvement