A driving ban but a mitigation plea. - henry k
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/6270506.stm

An Essex lady has been banned from driving for six months .......

Phillip Kelly, mitigating, told the court .......He also claimed she was "totally dependant" on her car.
(But it is also reported she "passed her driving test just two weeks ago")

I guess you can but ask :-)
It is surprising how very quickly one becomes "totally dependant" on ones car. :-)
A driving ban but a mitigation plea. - OldHand
Incorrect use of the word 'lady' in your post.
A driving ban but a mitigation plea. - Dwight Van Driver
It's a pity the offences were committed before she passed her test otherwise as a newly qualified driver her Licence would have been revoked and back to square one as a learner and tests.

Talk about smelling of roses from a cess pit.....

dvd
A driving ban but a mitigation plea. - henry k
DVD
In my original posting I quoted from two sources but it appears things may be slightly different again.
I wondered why the words "and otherwise in accordance to her licence," were used ?

A longer report at u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=12778&pt=e
"He said she had passed her test three years ago but had not completed the necessary paperwork to get a full driving licence."

Plus a whole lot more of her reasons not to be banned.
The magistrates` chairman however thought otherwise.

Perhaps our experts can shed a little more light on the technicalities of the above.
A driving ban but a mitigation plea. - Westpig
'otherwise in accordance to a licence'.... means you've got a licence, but you're doing something not authorised by that licence

e.g. i've got a car licence and drive a lorry. I'd be driving on a provisional as my full car licence would only be a provisional for a lorry.

A driving ban but a mitigation plea. - Armitage Shanks {p}
Certainly no lady! I wondered what oldhand was on about before I read the link! Correctly described by Clarkson as "A Racist ++++ and a waste of blood and organs" Understated IMO!
A driving ban but a mitigation plea. - Manatee
For the pedants, like me, it is the BBC who can't spell dependent, not Henry, who is quoting. Or perhaps that's how they assumed that's how Jade spells it.

I can scarcely believe the leniency - uninsured and unlicenced, and the same ban as an experienced, otherwise safe driver would commonly get for four offences of 35-39 in a 20 limit garnered over 3 years.
A driving ban but a mitigation plea. - Stuartli
No goody, goody for sure.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
I love the BBC - send them a feedback and they fix the spelling :-)
A driving ban but a mitigation plea. - Kevin
>I love the BBC - send them a feedback and they fix the spelling :-)

How long will it be before the BBC website is in t3xt (to identify with the yoof)?

Send them an email pointing out their political bias and see what you get ;-)

Kevin...
A driving ban but a mitigation plea. - Bilboman
From one pedant to another - the correct British spelling (hardly ever used these days) is unlicensed. A licence - to license; a dependant (noun) - (in)dependent (adjective).
Good spot Bilboperson. Keep up the good work!
A driving ban but a mitigation plea. - Dwight Van Driver
Looks like, Henry k, that she passed her test years ago and did not forward the 'pass' certificate ro convert to a 'full' licence. As a result she was, when stopped, the holder of a Provisional with the conditions that she should be accompanied and display L plates. Not doing so she was in breach of the conditions of her Prov. Licence.

dvd
A driving ban but a mitigation plea. - ijws15
If she was totally dependent thenm it was not an isolated event!
A driving ban but a mitigation plea. - Altea Ego
Phillip Kelly, mitigating, told the court Goody had made an error, cancelling her motor insurance instead of her home insurance policy.

Ah well - if essex had flooded she would have been ok and not know it.

Stupid bint

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >