Longevity of bulbs - Focus? - Waino
The dip bulb that I replaced (with much cursing - see earlier thread!) in SWMBO's Focus has lasted precisely 8 months. It was a cheap (£2.50) job from a local motor factor who I know.

Bearing in mind the ridiculous degree of difficulty in changing these bulbs, can any Backroomers suggest a reliable brand/type of bulb that will last a long time? Thanks.

BTW - I see that Halfords will change a bulb for £4.99 - I'm thinking of taking it down there.

Longevity of bulbs - Focus? - Mystic
tinyurl.com/35wbg7
Longevity of bulbs - Focus? - DP
BTW - I see that Halfords will change a bulb for £4.99

If it's the battery side, I find it very hard to believe they will stick to that. It's a half hour job.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
97 Ford Fiesta 1.4 16v Chicane (for sale)
Longevity of bulbs - Focus? - Roly93
If it's the battery side I find it very hard to believe they will stick
to that. It's a half hour job.

They cant just pick and choose which cars they will and won't change bulbs on, their packaging just states £xx for changing the bulb with no caveats. Halfords make enough margin on other stuff to cover the odd slightly more time consuming job.
Longevity of bulbs - Focus? - arnold2
I think Halfords bulbs are better than a lot of 'no name' bulbs sold at motor factors - I got through literally 3 sets in the space of about 6 months with a cheapo set - Halfords ones have so far got through 9 months..... the other problem is the poor design Ford used on the Focus 1, making it so difficult to get the bulbs in & out that you are more likely to touch the glass part of the bulb, leading to the bulb failing early ... :-(
If it's the battery side I find it very hard to believe they will stick
to that. It's a half hour job.>>

Yep - it's the battery side - and I have my blood pressure to consider. Anyway, SWMBO has gone off to work in my car and taken her make-up mirror with her. The mirror was vital to the operation last time I did it! You're right about the time taken, DP, by the time I'd washed my hands, it was three quarters of an hour!

I'm off to Halfords shortly.
Longevity of bulbs - Focus? - LHM
Considering the many variables involved, predicting the life of a filament lamp is a difficult task. Things to consider:

1) The voltage at the bulb terminals is a major factor. More volts = more light = shorter life. Although the bulb may be rated "12V", the voltage applied may be anything from 11-ish to 14-ish, depending on alternator regulation level/engine speed/cable and switch losses.

2) Vibration is a major killer of the filament. Hard to mitigate against without special construction.

3) The switch-on current surge also does the filament no favours. Better to have a 'theatre-style' ramp-up.

4) Quality control can be a bit hit-and-miss for some manufacturers.

5) Where's the profit in the everlasting lightbulb? :-)

Gas-discharge lights do offer some advantages - but at considerable cost and complexity.....
Longevity of bulbs - Focus? - Pete Mansell
My 1999 Focus 1.6, 90000 miles still has all its original bulbs, so presumably the bulbs that Ford supply are pretty good.
Whenever I close the bonnet I try to do it gently, rather than dropping it. Could this be a factor?
Longevity of bulbs - Focus? - Red Baron
If on a car bulbs blow frequently, then there is an underlying problem. I would investigate further, rather than just changing the bulb.

My Alfa didn't need new dip bulbs for 5 years. My 03 mondeo still has all the original set.
If on a car bulbs blow frequently then there is an underlying problem. I would investigate further rather than just changing the bulb.>>

The first bulb lasted for 4 years whilst the second, cheapie, only lasted 8 months. I'll try a 'decent' bulb again - and if that fails quickly, then I'll commence deeper investigations.

I took the Focus down to Halfords; the young lad said 'that'll be £4.99' and bounced out with the replacement H7. I wrongly assumed that they must do so many that he would possess a special knack. On opening the bonnet, he soon realised that the battery was in the way and recommended a dealer!

It'll be in for a service (dealer) shortly so I'll leave the bulb replacement until then. In the meantime, we'll rely on the old Mondy for any night driving.
Longevity of bulbs - Focus? - LHM
>>In the meantime we'll rely on the old Mondy for any night driving.

I believe that, technically, all lights must work - even if the vehicle is being driven in broad daylight....
I believe that technically all lights must work - even if the vehicle is

being driven in broad daylight....>>

I concur - but as the police don't stop vehicles with dodgy lights at night, I'll gamble on the chance that they won't stop me during the day ;-)
Longevity of bulbs - Focus? - Galad
Did I read somewhere in HJ last year that changing a bulb on the new Golf, amongst others, may require removing the front bumper? What would Halfords quote for that simple job? Anyway, my 2002 Mazda 323 also has all its original bulbs after 70k and it's supposed to be Focus in disguse.
Longevity of bulbs - Focus? - cheddar
Is it that difficult on a Focus, I will have to ask my dad. On the Mondeo there are two pins you pull out to remove the whole light unit, you can change a bulb on either side in 3 mins.
Is it that difficult on a Focus >>

I had no problems with my mk2 Mondeo but the Focus is much more fiddley with difficult access - particularly on the battery side. You need 3 hands with 10 inch fingers ..... and periscope vision would be handy ;-)

The job is certainly worth a fiver!
Longevity of bulbs - Focus? - cheddar
Are you sure it does not have the two removable pins Mindeo Mk III styley?
Longevity of bulbs - Focus? - henry k
Are you sure it does not have the two removable pins Mindeo Mk III style?

>>
Thank goodness Ford have improved access. On my 98 Mondeo the grill etc. has to be removed and then the headlamp units so it is not a kerb side activity even when you know what to do.

The MK 1 Focus is not an easy access model.
I've had first-hand experience of changing the n/s dip bulb on both my mk2 ('97) Mondeo and SWMBO's '02, 52 reg, Focus Chic (which I think is a mk2 Focus). It was necessary to remove a few screws etc on the Mondeo, but not a big deal - and you could see what you were doing. The problem on the Focus was one of access - the battery was in the way, necessitating a lot of fiddling about, guesswork skinned knuckles and lots of obscenities! If anyone knows an easier way to gain access on the Focus - without using a brick - I'd like to hear about it!

For both cars, the procedures were outlined in the supplied handbooks. But, in the case of the Focus, it wasn't that easy - don't be fooled.
Longevity of bulbs - Focus? - L'escargot
When I had bulbs changed (to Osram Silver Star to improve the lighting) I think my Ford dealer came to the conclusion that the easiest way was to remove the bumper and the grille. If I was replacing an original with a similar spec bulb I would choose a genuine spare.
--
L\'escargot.
Longevity of bulbs - Focus? - MikeTorque
Use Osram Silver Star or Philips Vision Plus, they function well on the Focus and last a long time.
Thanks - I'll dig out a local supplier for some of these branded bulbs.

On looking under the bonnet again, it would appear that access to the dip-bulb would be vastly improved if I took the battery out. Have any BR Focus owners found this to be the case? Thanks. Sorry, chaps, this is almost turning into a technical thread.
Longevity of bulbs - Focus? - Graemetdci
I have changed the bulbs on my Focus and I found that taking the battery cover off freed up a bit more space enabling me to change them although it was still tricky as there was not much room to play with. I replaced the old bulbs with Halfords +50% bulbs which were on a buy one, get one free offer and they certainly improved the light - much crisper light too.

On one occasion before when the near side dipped bulb blew, I got a replacement Ford Motorcraft bulb at my local dealer and one of the technicians replaced the bulb for me there and then for free in about five minutes - had obviously changed a few before! The original Ford bulb was only about £7 too so not overpriced. Might be worth giving the local dealer a try?
Longevity of bulbs - Focus? - Cliff Pope
Had the bulb just blown, with no visible evidence, or was it blackened inside? A poor earth causes blackening, which quickly destroys the bulb by overheating.
Thanks for replies, chaps. The last bulb had blown without any blackening - I haven't yet got at the one that is currently blown - I'll check that out when it is removed.
The matter is resolved. I took the car into my local dealer - from whom we bought the Focus and who has serviced it ever since. I told the reception chap that a bulb had blown but the car wasn't due in for service for another 6 weeks or so. He said he would get one of the lads to sort it and I could pay the cost of the bulb when the service was done. After the bulb was changed - and I learned how it was done - I was happy to give the young tech a fiver, which is what it would have cost at Halfords if they had known how to do it!

I'll shortly describe the method, in detail, on the 'Technical matters' section.