Berlingo diesel - mysterious noise - FotheringtonThomas
When accelerating, there's a rather rorty noise, seemingly from the nearside front of the engine compartment (I have only heard this from inside the vehicle), as if of a blowing exhaust. The exhaust pipe is OK, however. Any ideas what it might be? It does not happen on the over-run.

{Subject header expanded to make less vague - DD}
Berlin go diesel "exhaust noise". - cheddar
Jeez, I thought this was some new policy introduced in the German capital, just realised it is a Citroen, sorry cant help though.
Berlin go diesel "exhaust noise". - scotmech
Exhaust/manifold or manifold/down pipe gasket blown ... or bolts/nuts ... loose or missing.
Berlin go diesel "exhaust noise". - FotheringtonThomas
manifold/down pipe gasket blown ... or bolts/nuts ... loose or missing.

I can't see anything at all wrong with the exhaust system, that's the problem!
Berlin go diesel "exhaust noise". - Ross_D
I had a brand new Berlingo hire car in Tenerife last year, 1.9 diesel. It too had a noise like this, so I popped the bonnet and couldnt see anything. Performed fine for the 2 weeks we had it, can't be certain but it could be a "characteristic'??
Berlin go diesel "exhaust noise". - bell boy
and me, i no nowt about berlin ,so skipped this one but curiosity got the better of me,dont know the answer though
manifold opening under duress? maybe
Berlin go diesel "exhaust noise". - topbloke
possibly a down pipe to manifold issue, these usually have a compressed steel o ring between the down pipe and the manifold, the engine movement under accleration may cause the gasket to blow however lifting the bonnet and reving it up will not reproduce the same effect as the engine rocking on take off/accelaration
Berlin go diesel "exhaust noise". - FotheringtonThomas
possibly a down pipe to manifold issue
[snip] lifting the bonnet and reving it up will not reproduce the
same effect as the engine rocking on take off/accelaration

Presumably there would be some evidence in the form of sooty products of combustion? There's nothing. It all seems gas-tight.
Berlin go diesel "exhaust noise". - none
It's probably the air filter housing vibrating. The Citroen mod was a couple of clips positioned to pull the housing halves together a bit harder.