Mondeo Door opening at high speed - pocket
Hi,

The passenger door on our 03 Mondeo 1.8 has popped open several times when we are travelling at high speed. We have tried locking the doors but it still happens. The local ford dealer couldnt reproduce or find a fault. It typically happens when we are travelling at 70mph and pass a lorry on the passenger side. There is a loud "POP" and the door flies open. Very frightening, alarming and dangerous.

Anyone else had this experience, or even better know how to fix it?

Thanks

Steve.
Mondeo Door opening at high speed - topbloke
i would think that would be very scary however the only thing that holds the door shut is the latch assembly so that would be the first thing to replace i would assume that it is an air pressure difference so may be as a temp fix maybe opening a window a small amount would help but i would getthe latch changed asap
Mondeo Door opening at high speed - yorkiebar
Agree with topblokes logic as for where the fault lies, but.......

I find it very difficult to believe that a door will open whilst in forward motion at speed. Try opening a door at 20mph and there is so much wind pressure holding it shut.

Maybe you mean it becomes unlatched, as opposed to flying open, and the above mentioned logic seems sensible for fault finding.
Mondeo Door opening at high speed - bathtub tom
Are you sure it's closing fully?
Mondeo Door opening at high speed - Civic8
Even left on the latch,first click it should not open,has to be faulty mechanism in lock
Mondeo Door opening at high speed - Lud
Start the engine. Give the door handle on that door a sharp pull. If it opens adjust or renew the latch. If it doesn't, investigate further.
Mondeo Door opening at high speed - jc2
Unless the lock is totally faulty,the door should not open-they are designed to stay shut even in a crash.One outside possibility-damaged or distorted door or even bodyshell.
Mondeo Door opening at high speed - kithmo
Possibly the door catch is adjusted too far in, meaning the door is only on the first latch, although it still shouldn't fly open, tell SWMBO to take her handbag off the inner handle ;o)
Mondeo Door opening at high speed - Simon
Ford door catch mechanisms aren't exactly the best ones out there and it is not all that uncommon to have to replace them occasionaly on the odd Ford car. If it was me then I would try a bit of oiling in the lock mechanism to see if it is just a bit dry and something is sticking and not working properly. Other than trying that, almost certainly you will need a replacement mechanism and this should solve the problem.
Mondeo Door opening at high speed - pocket
Thanks for all the replies. It mainly opens and catches on the safetly latch position. My wife has had if fly wide open.

I have now squirted copious oil (WD40 and engine oil) into the mechanism and so far it has not happened again. If it does I will follow the suggestion and get the mechanism replaced.

Thanks again for all the replies. What a great forum!
Mondeo Door opening at high speed - nick
I find it very difficult to believe that a door will open whilst in forward
motion at speed. Try opening a door at 20mph and there is so much wind
pressure holding it shut.

This problem happens when passing a high-sided vehicle. There will be an area of low pressure the car will go through which will pull an unlatched door open.