Astra 1.7 TD(v reg) starter motor prob. - Jammer
Can anyone advise me as to how much this problem is likely to cost.

I took my car(v reg vauxhall astra 1.7td) into the garage as there was a problem with the starter motor, thats what the aa told me when i called them out. the man at the garage told me that yes it was definately the starter motor and he quoted me £143 for a new starter motor including fitting.

I said yes thats fine and left the car with the garage. anyway that was on friday, he said he could do it on friday. anyway i had a call from him in the afternoon on friday thinking that the car was repaired but the mechanic said that he had ordered the wrong starter motor and that he said that he wouldnt be able to get it done until monday i said fine but he said that the reason why the starter motor was not working was because it was burnt out.

he said that there is an oil leak in the engine that must have leaked onto the starter motor and caused it to burn out. he said that unless i get the leak fixed the next starter motor would burn out also obviously if oil is leaking onto it.

What id like to know if anyone has any idea of what part of the engine is leaking onto the starter motor and ifso how much more than the £143 he quoted me for a new starter motor would it cost to get the leak fixed too?

Thanks
Astra 1.7 TD(v reg) starter motor prob. - topbloke
these vehicles have an issues with the ignition switch and this will be most likely the cause of the starter burning out i work in a main dealer and see loads of these, we wont fit a starter without changeing the ignition switch also, also get them to check that the barrel is not jamming in its houseing they will have to remove this to replace the switch
Astra 1.7 TD(v reg) starter motor prob. - milkyjoe
if the starter motor is getting contaminated with oil ( i assume its the crank rear oil seal thats leaking) wouldnt that also contaminate the clutch .. with the starter ring gear being on the flywheel/clutch plate?
Astra 1.7 TD(v reg) starter motor prob. - yorkiebar
What id like to know if anyone has any idea of what part of the engine is leaking onto the starter motor and ifso how much more than the £143 he quoted me for a new starter motor would it cost to get the leak fixed too?

Ask the garage; if heas identified oil as the problem he will have a good idea what part/s are involved and where the leak is.

Seems like good advice from him so far. If he seems too expensive then post back on here for more opinion once you know the exact problem?
Astra 1.7 TD(v reg) starter motor prob. - pmh
I would be interested to know what has 'burnt out'. Possibly brush contamination - can be cleaned up or starter solenoid full of oil prventing contacts making. 5 minutes to clean! But no profit in that!

Oil is an insulator so maybe damage is physical eg possibly destroying insulation or similar but I would suggest using an auto electrician rather than a mechanic. Might save you lots of money.
--

pmh (was peter)

Astra 1.7 TD(v reg) starter motor prob. - stuartl
Cant comment on the oil issue but I changed the starter motor on my Diesel x reg Astra (Isuzu engine) and what a pig of a job that was. Having to undo three bolts plus the electrics all by feel if I recall correctly. Mind you, everything about that car was a nightmare : o (