Backroom victory - Richard Hall
My Audi Coupe is now back on its wheels after some confusion over brake hoses (20V owners note - the German & Swedish parts catalogue lists the wrong front brake hose). The effect of fitting the new wishbone bushes is amazing - I hadn't realised just how bad the old ones had got. The bushes took about four hours to fit including tea breaks - if it wasn't for the Backroom I'd probably still be struggling with them now. Thanks Ian and Martin for some first class advice.
Backroom victory - Don't be afraid to hit it! - Dave Lacey aka Dr Dave
"Thanks Ian and Martin for some first class advice"

What advice was that? Don't be afraid to use a big hammer??

I came across two of my technicians struggling to release a (knackered, not to be refitted) CV joint from a drive-hub last week, using a hammer far too small to make any effect....when I was brought up in our other workshops ten years ago, I was always shown how to hit something hard with a 2lb ball-pein hammer!

Needless to say, after three good clouts by myself with my prized Snap-on Hammer, the shaft came free.

Allsorts of banter along the lines of "Oh we must have loosened it up" and "Oh the MD40 must have just worked" followed.

I just walked into my office, made a cup of (sugary) tea and felt smug for the rest of the day!

(Sugary tea was the order of the day after that energetic outburst!)
Re: Backroom victory - Don't be afraid to hit it! - Richard Hall
My favourite car repair tools, always available to hand:

6 foot length of scaffold pole.
Tyre lever
Angle grinder
2lb club hammer
Blowtorch
Cold chisel
Impact driver

I used all of these on the Audi repair job (the scaffold pole was needed because a fast fit centre had done the front wheel nuts up so tight that I couldn't shift them by normal means).
Re: Backroom victory - Don't be afraid to hit it! - Dave
I re-shelled a pug 205 18 months ago with a mate.

Out of our combined tool resources the tool we used most was a blunt & broken screw driver.

If one of us had it the other would wander round the car cap in hand and wait while he finished using it.

Mechanical work has two meroable features for me.

1) The pain of feeling bitterly cold hands hit metal as the socket rounds/slips off.

2) The warm reasuring pain when the hot water and washing powder finds the scratches and nicks you didn't know you had.

Still love it!
Re: Backroom victory - Don't be afraid to hit it! - ian (cape town)
Mole grips! The wrong tool for every job!
Re: Backroom victory - Don't be afraid to get hit! - Double Decker
>1) The pain of feeling bitterly cold hands hit metal as the socket rounds/slips off.

2) The warm reasuring pain when the hot water and washing powder finds the scratches and nicks you didn't know you had.

Still love it!

Dave - Just how long have you been a masochist, mechanically speaking of course?

DD
Re: Backroom victory - Don't be afraid to get hit! - Dave
Since Mistress Sade started charging over 250 quid for beating me firmly with a Cortina alternator belt.
Re: Backroom victory - Don't be afraid to get hit! - Double Decker
Dave

You should have tried the lady who charged the same for allowing herself to be beaten by what I believe is called a "regular". Went on motoring holiday (1)and asked her chum to take over for a couple of weeks. Chum a bit doubtful until she discovered she would be paid £250 "OK" she said"I've only got one question - how long will he beat me for?" Answer - "Until you give back the money"!

DD

PS "for beating me firmly with a .... belt" - that should solve the belt versus chain argument once and for all!

(1) Motoring link