Passat 99 TDI - flood water damage - L.Cleaver1
Hi All

My Passat (PD) TDI ended up being covered by a wave from a rather inconsiderate 4x4 owner, the engine promptly stopped working and I ended up being towed to a garage yesterday. Kindly garage owner informed me that the engine was hydraulically locked and potentially an expensive job to put right for which I can claim on my insurance.

Imagine my shock when I was called this morning to say that the car started and has been run for a short distance. He's advised me to have the oil and filter changed pronto (as it's emulsified) and also the air filter. Given the nature of these VAG PD engines with their very fine engineering tolerances, I'm thinking of cancelling the insurance claim, getting it "clean" and chopping it in for something else asap. Is this reasonable or am I worrying too much. The car's done 160K miles and was basically sound before the incident.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Passat 99 TDI - flood water damage - local yokel
What's it worth? £1500? I'd keep it - sounds like a lucky escape, and if it's been sound before then it's worth running for another couple of years, at which point it will still fetch £750-£1,000.
Passat 99 TDI - flood water damage - 659FBE
It's extremely difficult to give a reasoned judgement as so much possible damage due to water ingestion is a matter of chance.

It's obviously sound advice to change all the filters (including fuel filter) and the engine oil asap. Consider changing the transmission oil also. Use of the correct oils for each is essential.

In view of the highly stressed valve/injector train of the PD, I would change the cambelt also. Check that you have a water pump with a metal impellor fitted - the OE pumps suffer break-up.

Passat 99 TDI - flood water damage - L.Cleaver1
Thanks guys, advice appreciated!

Hadn't thought of the fuel filter and the transmission is a tiptronic box, would this require an oil change? The camblet was done 20K ago, again is it worth changing it at this stage (metal impellor type water pump fitted at last change)

Cheers