Owning 2 cars, insurance question - c0cky
Hi,

I currently travel between 25k and 30k per year. I would like a car a bit different from the other rep mobiles (I've currently got a celica) but it's turning out a bit pricey for both fuel and servicing and also I'm thinking about residuals and the fact that I'm pumping up the mileage at a rate of 2k+ per month.

Ideally I'd like a reasonably quick diesel i.e. Fabia vRS, Saab 9-3, BMW etc but they're all a bit out of my price range and I don't want to spend too much and then end up 3 years later with massive depriciation due to the high mileage.

What are the drawbacks of running a cheaper sporty convertible for weekends and summer days - I'm thinking MR2 mk2 and then having a cheap, sub £1k diesel and employing bangernomics for commuting. Can I have just one insurance policy and drive the second car 3rd party under the first cars policy or do I need seperate policies?

Owning 2 cars, insurance question - Pugugly {P}
My Landie and BMW are insured by the same Company on different policies.
Owning 2 cars, insurance question - local yokel
One policy could cover two cars, if the insurance co. wanted to write it, but it would be more usual to have two. If the sporty car was only used limited mileage then you should be able to get it quite cheaply, esp. if a classic or through an owners group.
Owning 2 cars, insurance question - LHM
Can I have just one insurance policy and drive the second car 3rd party under the first >> cars policy?

er, no.

However, an increasing number of companies (Admiral, for one) now offer multi-car policies.

Owning 2 cars, insurance question - normd2
If you have a fully comp policy and your insurer allows you to drive another vehicle third party, that other vehicle needs to be owned by someone else and be insured as well.
Cheers for the replies,

Thinking about it more, I suppose the second car will need insuring for tax purposes as well.
Owning 2 cars, insurance question - Cliff Pope
I have just today renewed my policy with Heritage Insurance. They enclosed a leaflet
"Do you have more cars than drivers and want to reduce your insurance premium? We are able to offer a single policy to cover all the cars in your household, regardless of age or value. "
Owning 2 cars, insurance question - mike hannon
Buy a pre-1973 'classic' for a bit of weekend fun. Cheap comp insurance with agreed value and no road tax.
Owning 2 cars, insurance question - Pugugly {P}
>> Can I have just one insurance policy and drive the second car 3rd party under the first >> cars policy

If you do that at the very least expect your car to be impounded by the Police when you pass through an ANPR. If you and the car don't appear on the MIB database it'll be "wave ta ta to your motor" time.
I'd love a classic, but having no mechanical knowledge at all I'd be worried I was buying a money pit with constant repairs, hence my preference for the Toyota.
Owning 2 cars, insurance question - Cliff Pope
These policies used to be especially tailored to owners of classics, because they often have collections of cars but within an overall total low mileage. But they are now available equally to any kind of vehicle.
Owning 2 cars, insurance question - George Porge
You can get classic limited mileage insurance on cars of 10 years and over, so your MR2 Idea could be a goer. Buy a classic car mag and phone the insurers advertising within

;O
Owning 2 cars, insurance question - martint123
I've got two vehicles on one policy. The certificate looks just like a normal one but has two reg numbers on it.
Adding the second was only an extra £15 or so. Works well if your main vehicle is relatively more expensive than the second.
Owning 2 cars, insurance question - Stuartli
There's a "More cars than drivers?" adverttisement in the left hand column.

You can only ask..:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by