EGR valve care Renault - BobG
I own two Renaults with the 1.5 dci motor. One recently suffered from a failed EGR valve at 30k. This was confirmed by a fault code and a new one fitted. I understand that these valves fail rather too frequently on Renault motors - less so on the 1.5.
Is there any way to prolong the life of an EGR valve? Does driving style or the use of additives make a difference? ( I use Millers for luibrication of the injection pump). Can they be cleaned and if so how?
EGR valve care Renault - mss1tw
Does driving style make a difference?

Yep, floor it regularly (Obviously once it's thoroughly warmed up and in high gears, not 1st and 2nd. Diesels like to be loaded)

I normally try and do it to mine in 4th up a hill. Getting on for 4000rpm is 90mph and then I run out of hill and bottle.
EGR valve care Renault - jc2
The valve won't be open at idle or high load;it only operates at part throttle conditions.
EGR valve care Renault - mss1tw
Good point, I should have been clearer, rev it. Don't change up too early.
EGR valve care Renault - Roly93
I suspect that a lot of these sorts of problems on diesels are caused by people buying them then pootling around town at near-tickover speeds.
EGR valve care Renault - jc2
Probably;I've never had problems on any of the diesels I've owned but I don't do short journeys and the journeys I do are usually at speed(legal-well almost).
Thanks for the advice. The car is used as a "doggie waggon" and usually just trundles around country lanes. My other so far reliable one gets blasted daily on an A road commute.
EGR valve care Renault - biker rob
Has anyone considered that the 18,000 mile service intervals have anything to do with this.
I've seen a couple of renaults come in for a service and the oils like treacle.
For a diesel, I reckon its way too much.
EGR valve care Renault - DP
I wouldn't let a petrol engine run for 18k on the same oil, never mind a diesel.

I'm going to do a DIY oil and filter change on our 1.9dCi Scenic half way between each service, as well as regular Italian tune-ups to keep the EGR valve free. Not that either SWMBO or myself are particularly light footed.

I do know that the EGR valve on ours hasn't given any trouble in 40k, at least not that was fixed inside the Renault dealer network. The dealer kindly showed me the full history file when I took it in for service and it corresponds with the paperwork handed over by the previous owner.

The previous owner thankfully also had an intermediate oil change done, so fingers crossed....

Cheers
DP
I have done oil and filter changes on both at 9k then every 6k using Renault filters and B4 spec diesel specific oil. The oil seems Ok when it comes out. I agree that the 18k frequency is just to keep fleet managers happy and note that new EuroIV engines need a 12k or even 6k change according to Renault.
Any thoughts out there about preiodically removing and cleaning the valve - at least one garage in my area suggest this every 36k ?