98 Coolant Problems - Laura
Having a problem with an "S" reg MGF

When the engine is warm and you're idling in traffic, the coolant is being forced out of the expansion chamber.

The car isn't overheating because the it doesn't feel too hot and the fan isn't coming on.

Rover say that it needs a new engine and that this is a common problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Laura

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 18/02/2008 at 21:05

Re: MGF Coolant Problems - John Davis
I am not conversant with the MGF but, for the expansion tank to overflow it must mean that water, from within the cooling system, is being forced out from the radiator/engine/cooling passages etc. Usually, though not exclusively, this is from a head gasket failure and the cooling system is being pressurised beyond it's usual working limit. My suggestion would be to avoid the Rover Dealer, who might be more keen than most to sell a new engine, and get the engine tested by an independant garage. An engine dismantle, head pressure check, poss skim, and new gasket, must be cheaper than a new engine.
Re: MGF Coolant Problems - Laura
Thanks for the message. I should offered more but the car is now with an independant garage where they are investigating, to date they have (and i hope i get this right) crack tested, removed and skimmed the head and re-fitted with modified gaskets that Rover supplied, all temp sensors have also been replaced ...........still the problem persists.

Where is this Dr Lacey then ?
Re: MGF Coolant Problems - John Davis
I hope that you can get this sorted quickly because, from what you say, everything has been covered. However, the simple things sometimes get overlooked. If the MGF has a seperate radiator cap, has this failed in some way ? Also, the garage have, presumably, checked or replaced the thormostat ?
Re: MGF Coolant Problems - Dave N
I've emailed Dr Dave, and asked him to look in.

Ha, he's probably got so many dodgy MG's to fix, he hasn't had any spare time.
Re: Calling 'Dr' Dave Lacey - Dave N
I think the MGF's have had cooling pipe problems, which probably leads to coolant loss & overheating, hence the head gasket problems.

Wait a short while and the MG expert, Dave Lacey, will be along.
Re: Calling 'Dr' Dave Lacey - Pete Fincher
Try posting on the MGF section of the BBS on
www2.mgcars.org
You will get answers to this and any other MGF problems that you encounter.
Re: MGF Coolant Problems - Dave N
Dr Dave, what do they use to bleed the system, a vacuum device?

I saw one in action the other day and it worked a treat.
Re: MGF Coolant Problems - Dave Lacey aka Dr Dave
Dave N said> "Ha, he's probably got so many dodgy MG's to fix, he hasn't had any spare time"

Quiet the opposite, Dave - we can't keep up with demand - must be the recent sunshine bringing out all the buyers! The forecourt is bare and any MGF's being traded in against the new TF are almost certainally sold before they hit the forecourt!

Laura, the garage seem to have attended to the items I would have mentioned to you, including using the latest modified gaskets. Having the head pressure tested is also good practice, too.

I reckon they haven't bled the cooling system properly. It isn't the easiest thing to do on the F, sometimes taking a couple of hours to do properly. Trouble is, if it isn't bled properly, it can easily lead to a HGF again, due to localised overheating.

The ironic thing is, if it had been taken to an MGR Dealer, they would have the tools and know-how to bleed the F cooling system properly.

If the car is no better than when it went in, I'd take it back and start stomping my feet.

Do let us know how you get on..

Thanks for the prompt, Dave
May the curse of 20 awkward-to-replace evaps behold you.....
Re: MGF Coolant Problems - Dave Lacey aka Dr Dave
Sorry I was a bit slow in getting here.....busy day yesterday, tired out last night.
Re: MGF Coolant Problems - Alf Hooker
Check the Fuse for the fan,

I know of somebody whose MGF had exatly the same problem, the cause was the cooling fan not working which lead to the engine overheating, the Fuse for which was rated too low, we don't know who had replaced it.