Strange noises from an 87 Starlet - Rob E
My 1987 D Toyota Starlet 1.0 12 valve GL has rather an annoying problem: at a certain amount of revs in each gear the exhaust emits a sort of tinkling/vibration noise. The noise isn't that loud, but I am perplexed because the front section of the exhaust has obviously been recently replaced, and the back box and silencer seem to be in reasonable condition (i.e. not showing much rust). The car was MOT'd only a month ago, so I'm sure there's no holes/ leaks in the system. This leads me to believe the vibration noise could be caused by a loose clip/hinge on some part of the exhaust system???

I'm reluctant to get the back box replaced if it isn't totally necessary, because being as there aren't many Starlets of this ilk left it would cost more than what the car's worth (i.e. over £100).

Your thoughts on what could be causing this noise would be very much appreciated, Rob.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 18/02/2008 at 21:06

Re: Strange noises from a Toyota Starlet - Stevieboy
Rob,

Have you checked the exhaust manifold head-shield (if a Starlet has one) to see if it's cracked and vibrating against the exhaust?

Steve
Re: Strange noises from a Toyota Starlet - Rob E
Steve,

Checked the manifold head shield, seems to be okay.

Rob
Re: Strange noises from a Toyota Starlet - John S
Rob

An exhaust can look fine from the outside, but have loose baffles inside. Gives just that sort of problem noise.

Regards

John
Re: Strange noises from a Toyota Starlet - Andrew Hamilton
Seen problem where internals of exhaust expansion box came loose. It could be detected by tapping exhaust along length to locate. I thought of squashing box up to try to fix but owner just replaced.
Re: Strange noises from a Toyota Starlet - Dave N
Just because the section was replaced recently, doesn't mean it hasn't fallen apart inside. Do a search in this forum and you'll see plenty of comments about poor aftermarket exhaust quality from the usual high street names!
Re: Strange noises from a Toyota Starlet - john w.
I've had this problem a couple of times. Caused by rear end of exhaust being badly fitted. It appears to be clear of body but when started/revved the engine torque moves the exhaust into contact with the rear wing.