Free servicing query - Happy Blue!
Our Hyundai has three years free servicing. The servicing regime is 10,000 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. It was last serviced in April 2006 at 18,800 miles and has now done 29,000 miles. So I think it shuld have been serviced in April 2007 and if not then, then now.

I have spoken to my Hyundai dealer twice about this. He says that the free servicing regime only permits servicing one month either side of the anniversary of the purchase or 600 miles either side of the 10,000 mile points. So, I wait until 29,400 miles or until 1st August 2007 (car registered 1st Sept 2004).

In my opinion, this is contrary to the servicing schedule recommended by the manufacturer. If the engine blows today and the cause is down to not changing the filter in time, who's to blame?
Free servicing query - Stuartli
What is the actual anniversary of the purchase - presumably not an April date?

Seems a very pedantic approach to a valuable customer; do you still have the original terms and conditions of the "free" servicing routine?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Free servicing query - Bill Payer
Seems odd - I would say it should have been serviced in April - 12mths after its last service. What didn't you do that?

Also, how did it get on to an April service date - when, and at what mileage, was it serviced in 2005?
Free servicing query - efad
I m a little confused here Is your dealer saying that you must have it serviced by either time [12m] OR mileage [10K] but not a mixture of both as this is immpossible if you do an irregular mileage each year
Free servicing query - Aprilia
You are correct Espada.

Its actually the selling dealer that has to pay for the 'free' service - so I gather some can be a bit bolshie about it.
Thanks Aprillia

It does sound a little like Catch 22, but as we will be at 29,400miles within the next week or so, i'm not so worried. I checked the oil yesterday and there is enough in to last me!

The car was serviced in April 2006 because we had a period of high mileage that went from September 2005 (9,000 miles) - April 2006 (18,800 miles) and we were going away and wanted the car serviced whilst we were away, so it was done early-ish, but there was no query then about being early (either in time or mileage).
Free servicing query - daveyjp
By the rules it should have been serviced in April 2007, if 10,000 miles hadn't been covered.

Depending on what the free servicing offer is you could end up paying, unless the dealer values your business. The problem is if they agree to do it for free and they aren't happy about it as they foot the bill how do you know they have done what is required?

That is something I do worry about and on top of that they try to get you by saying that brake discs need replacing etc. I will be happy when I take the car to a local trustworthy independent!
Free servicing query - jc2
TANSTAAFL-there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.