Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - googolplex
OK, I know the obvious answer is a Diesel, but how many of us can afford to keep on buying new and ensure we get rid of the thing before the warranty expires, because that is the most cost effective, hassle-free way I can think of of driving a diesel as I do. (Read the plentiful posts on common fail diesels - as well as my bitter experience below - to see what I mean)

For the record, I have a Mondeo TDci estate (130bhp) which left the factory in Nov02. In two garage visits since March, I have spent over £2k on bills (injector no1 and failed turbo). It strikes me that a petrol - say a Volvo 2.4 - would offer similar power (ok, perhaps not the torque) and I'd have a better chance of maintaining it up to 8-10 years old. I just can't see a way of doing that, these days, with these common 'fail' diesels. Obviously, the down sides would be performance and a big hike in fuel bills. I'd also miss a diesel (having driven them for 15 years).

I'm well aware of the need to allow turbos to 'spool down' after journeys etc and have done this as much as possible - but it didn't save my turbo!
I tow a boat and need power (not to mention friction) for pulling the thing up a slipway - a 4x4 would work for this. My towing weight is about 1200kg, all in. But, I've managed for 3 years without a 4x4 so this is by no means compulsory - the vast majority of my driving is without trailer, and I do about 20K miles per annum. You could say that I need an engine to work hard for me.

I had previously considered something like a Nissan X-trail, but not that Diesel with those turbos (I'd clearly need two or three new turbos each year). Anyone any experience of the 2.5 petrol? ( I can't see the 2 litre petrol doing the job for me).

So, does anyone tow anything substantial with a petrol or a diesel car? Has anyone tried both? I basically need something that I can buy nearly new, and keep for longer than the warranty....

Just off to test drive a Kia Sorento Diesel...

Any advice gratefully received.

Splodgeface
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - Aprilia
A friend of mine who repairs CR Diesels sees a lot of dual-mass flywheel failures on cars that have been used for towing and also on hard-worked transits. All the torque has to go through the DMF and they basically 'wear out'. He tells me that the first symptom is starter-motor trouble - the starter motor has to be replaces and is full of 'iron filings' (from the DMF) on removal. A while later the DMF fails completely. Obviously this is a major and expensive repair.
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - PhilW
Well, I'm hoping that our Common Fail Xantia HDi will give us another four trouble free weeks towing the caravan around France this year.
Should clock up its 100,000th mile in the process.
Maybe we've been lucky............so far.
If it does go boom (or whatever they do when they fail) wife has her eyes on a C-Crosser HDi (mainly to annoy the anti 4x4 brigade I think rather than because we need a 4x4!)
--
Phil
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - flunky
For the record I have a Mondeo TDci estate (130bhp) which left the factory in
Nov02. In two garage visits since March I have spent over £2k on bills (injector
no1 and failed turbo). It strikes me that a petrol - say a Volvo 2.4
- would offer similar power (ok perhaps not the torque) and I'd have a better
chance of maintaining it up to 8-10 years old.

Get a V50 T5. Much more fun than a Mondeo. More torque too.

A bit thirstier than a Mondeo diesel though.
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - Paul I
Totally see where you coming from having just had my Laguna go pop and the same with a Scenic (the wifes old car) I guess you are stuck like me. We have done one of two things firstly the wife has a now has a Seat Altea PD diesel which if the right oil is used should work (fingers crossed) certainly.

The Seat dealer has been very good and a new shape Toledo is very good tow car. I have been using my folks V70 2.4 petrol whilst the french thing is of the road and driven easily I have average 35 mpg it also tows a boat (etap) very well !!
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - mss1tw
I'd also miss a diesel (having
driven them for 15 years).

Looking at it another way...is there any reason why a car that you liked in 1993, say, won't do now? I'm sure you could find one with toys such as A/C and cruise control, but with simple and robust mechanics.
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - injection doc
I agree the comments you have made are ones that keep coming up now & whilst faults are becoming common & I agree its getting impossible to keep changing cars every three years due to cost ,I wouldn't be put of by a diesel.
You have had bad luck with your mondeo & it appears quite common too but petrol cars are having there fair share of problems now with horrendous bills as well. I think you will miss the torque of a diesel & having had a 2.5 volvo its no rocket ship & needs a fuel tanker behind you as well. I have experienced some horrendous service bills with petrol volvos so it does need some thought.
I think warranties may be about to change now that one manufacturer is doing a 7 year cover so may be we might get to see 5 as an average.
I had a colleuge who had a 2.tdci mondeo that covered 180k in 3 years without anything more than servicing & I still strongly belive that Brands of oil & fuel are critical for these later generation of cars. The car you just off to test drive hasn't been without it failings on there diesel system .
Hopefully ford have adressed some of the issues with the injection system & may be another mondeo will give you good service. The general cause of injector failings was insufficent bedding down of pump components causing fragments in the fuel system so should be addressed by now & 2.2d far better
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - Quinny100
How many miles has your Mondeo TDCi Estate done?
I was recently reading a German magazine article about the poor reliability of some modern Diesels, in particular French (Renault, PSA) Diesels which are apparently getting a terrible reputation in Germany for being problematic. One of the 'straplines' to the article was quite amusing:

Du weisst doch, warum französische Autos die sichersten sind?
Weil sie immer in der Werkstatt stehen!

"You know why French cars are the safest? Because they spend all their time in the workshop!"
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - Xileno {P}
>>"You know why French cars are the safest? Because they spend all their time in the workshop!"

LOL
Sorry, should have said - the Mondeo has just over 81K on the clock (or at least had done by Turbo blow time...).

Maybe I'm just expecting too much from a car if I'm going to push it hard by doing alot of towing. Perhaps I should just accept the need to have a bigger budget. Before I started this towing lark, I drove a Cavalier TD up to 165K - I suppose, I'm asking the impossible to find a car which could manage this...but then, I went through the pain barrier with that car - in its time, just about anything that could break did so!

The idea about getting an old, old oil burner is interesting. However, I wouldn't want to be travelling around in something so old it might break at any point. I'm no dab-hand with a spanner. Also, I quite like refinement for the 90% of the time I won't be towing.

For the record, the Sorento was fine. It would obviously help me and the boat up a slipway, and I found it quite refined, although the compromise of rolling around on slightly uneven road surfaces is something that I'd have to think about. They suggested I purchased a couple of years of additional warranty - which is always a thought. Provides some peace of mind, and is always something I can budget for. However, the boot is small, and, being used to Mondeo Estate sized spaces, I suppose I ought to go and try the Nissan Pathfinder which I think HJ still likes (I know he's withdrawn his backing for the X-Trail) and which seems to be getting good feedback on the What Car site.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Any other thoughts gratefully received.

Splodgeface
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - jase1
One thing I would say, and this is not down to any biases I may have or anything like that, is that I have not heard of any CR problems on Hyundai/Kia diesels.

They've sold enough CRDis over the years for problems to begin to surface by now, and it just doesn't seem to be happening, unless someone can say different.

In general, I suspect that it's the Renault/Nissan engines that are the real problem, with PSA/Ford and Honda engines suffering to a lesser degree. Fiat, Hyundai/Kia, Toyota and the non-CR VAG engines seem to be safe enough.
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - rtj70
Isn't this all a case of the percentage of failures vs. actual figure for failures. For example, far more Ford TDCi units are sold in Europe than Hyundai/Kia. The difference is probably huge. So there might be a lot of problems with Ford (and other popular CR diesels) but this is because so many are sold. And because there are so many we hear about it a lot more than for say Hyundai/Kia.

Figures plucked out of the air:

- If Ford sold 1m million TDCi units and maybe 2% failed then that's 20,000 failures.
- If Kia/Hyundau sold 100,000 units and 5% failed then that's 5,000 failures

Not suggesting any of these figures are accurate because plucked out of the air. Just trying to say if you sell more vehicles then you will have more failures. And Ford/VW/PAG/GM vs Hyundai/Kia means there will be more failures in the former than the latter.

That's my 2p worth anyway.
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - jase1
Absolutely correct. However, since people have a tendency to speak louder about failed units than OK ones, I'd still have expected to hear of a few examples.

IE, when a small percentage of Hyundai clutches were giving trouble in the early 2000s, this did become obvious, despite the fact that it only covered a few vehicles over a 1 year period.

Likewise, I've heard of several Mazda CR failures. These are PSA engines, and in fact fewer Mazda diesels are sold than Hyundai/Kia combined.

You're totally right about the numbers game but it's not as if only half a dozen of these engines are being sold each year.

I believe that GM, Fiat and Hyundai all use VM as their diesel engine design provider -- and none of these companies seem to have the reputation that Renault/Nissan, and PSA/Ford have for the diesel failures.
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - NARU
You don't hear a huge amount about the rarer diesels - I hadn't realised until flicking through car mechanics today that changing the timing belt on a diesel Kia Sedona is an engine-out job. Every 54,000 miles! (The article is about a way for six-jointed people to be able to do it with the engine in place).
You don't hear a huge amount about the rarer diesels - I hadn't realised until
flicking through car mechanics today that changing the timing belt on a diesel Kia Sedona
is an engine-out job. Every 54 000 miles! (The article is about a way for
six-jointed people to be able to do it with the engine in place).

My mate has repaired a few Sedona CR Diesels at around the 50-70k mark (pump and/or injector problems). I don't think he's ever worked on a Rio Diesel (or at least he's never mentioned it, and I've never seen one in the 'shop). Mind you, most if not all of these will be under warranty still. We don't have a Kia dealer for miles, so he doesn't get called in by Kia. Mostly Ford, GM and PSA.

Yes, you do have to take the motor out of the Sedona to change the belt - if you look at one you'll see the engine is right up against the inner wing - no room to work. I don't read Car Mechanics and I can't see how they would change the belt without lifting the engine (at least enough to get access to the belt and pulley).

I do know that Kia parts prices can be insane, and that alone would make me wary of getting one. In other respects the recent ones are not bad motors.
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - NARU
I believe that GM Fiat and Hyundai all use VM as their diesel engine design
provider -- and none of these companies seem to have the reputation that Renault/Nissan and
PSA/Ford have for the diesel failures.

Oh, I don't know - diesel jeep cherokees became almost worthless once word got out that that the (VM engine) heads crack. And that there are four of them.
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - PhilW
"PSA diesel failures."

OK, I admit I am biassed. We have the aforementioned Xantia HDi (and I have previously had a couple of Cit diesels which did getting on for 200k) and I am on my second Berlingo HDi. Not one of these engines has ever had anything done to it bar the scheduled oil/filter/cambelt changes and a few glowplugs replaced.
I also look at the Technical bit on this website, and I also pop into French Car Forum
www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&s...1
on a fairly regular basis and I can't recall many posts about Citroen HDi Common Rail engines going pop at low (<100k) mileages. There must also be thousands of Citroen vans with HDi engines that do very high mileages. There are others on this board who have driven them for many miles and I can't recall them coming on here and complaining about the engines.
HJ mentions no such problems in the CBC breakdown for Xantias, C5, etc, in fact he is usually pretty complimentary about HDi engines - especially the 1.6 16 valve HDi. The only thing he mentions is " On HDIs, rubber cushioned timing belt pulley needs replacing at same time as timing belt (60k - 70k miles) otherwise can separate." Which is a bit odd because cambelt replacement interval is higher than he quotes, and I've always understood that Cit engines were pretty good with regard to lack of belt failures. How come he doesn't go on about common failure of fuel pumps, turbos etc?

So as a family with 2 HDi engines on the drive (inc Xantia with nearly 100k on it (and not having had its timing belt pulley replaced as far as I know), a son who also has an Hdi and a friend with one that has done over 100k with one, can you point me in the direction of some evidence of the common failure of these engines?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting anyone's word, I'm just asking for the evidence - and I'm not talking about Ford TDCis here - ironically of course it became a bit of a joke on here a while back that whenever anyone on here asked which car they should buy, the answer was always a Mondeo TDCi (Skoda Octavia seems to have taken its place recently!)

Regards

--
Phil
"PSA diesel failures."
can you point me in the direction of some
evidence of the common failure of these engines?

Cue 'Screwloose' perhaps? I think there are quite a few guys around the country who are being kept in work by the failures of these engines..!
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - FP
SWMBO, her son, her daughter and I have all been running Peugeot HDi 306s for varying amounts of time - the oldest being a T-reg. Between us that means a big mileage.

No engine issues at all. Just regular servicing, up to 57 mpg, a few relatively minor problems (wiper motor, 2 x indicator stalks, screen wash motor, failed a/c is about it). My indie sees quite a few HDis and speaks highly of their reliability.

Are PSA common rail issues really that common? Or am I just lucky?
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - Baskerville
Phil, for your database. Asking for trouble I know, but I have a 4 year-old 2 litre Peugeot HDI with 50K miles plus on it, owned from new. Nothing on the car has ever gone wrong in any way. Nothing replaced beyond service/recall items and the stereo (because we wanted line-in). It tows for about 5,000 miles a year, so over a third of the total mileage, which earns it an intermediate oil change. Completely reliable so far. Badly needs a wash.
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - Roly93
One thing I would say and this is not down to any biases I may
have or anything like that is that I have not heard of any CR problems
on Hyundai/Kia diesels.

Probably because there aren't many around and they dont get worked hard like the 1000's of Mondeo diesels in al the car fleets.
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - gordonbennet
Funnily enough being a bit long in the tooth i have avoided going the newer car route for precisely these reasons, the costs of to me shamefull parts failures and complicated electronics give me the heebies. The mondeo isn't the only car with premature turbo failure's, the bmw 320 td springs to mind. I for one do not believe a word of this long service interval hype, and i bet the vast majority of premature turbo failures are caused by the oilways getting blocked up by crud that should have been flushed away by several changes of the stuff. ( including filters). My own cars get oil changes at 3 - 5 thousand mile intervals and not with mazola! So Splodgeface hows about buying the car you fancy and just slipping a couple of oil and filter changes in between the official ones...dont forget to change the gearbox oil especially in the (sealed for life or until the warranty runs out modern auto). At a loss with the injector problem unless you can find a proper motor that runs the indirect system for donkeys years...blimey dont i go on sorry
In response to Gordon,
I have always done an additional oil change between official service intervals, so the car has had oil changes every 6000 miles (except for the first 12500 miles where HJ it is (said to be) important to keep the initial oil. I agree with you, though, and would like to do this more often but its always such a faff. My local garage can't seem to do a straight oil change without calling it an interim service and charging over £50. In the States, there are loads of places along the way where you can just pop in and have the oil changed while you wait - should have this here.

Just to tie up this thread from my perspective, as the originator:
I've always been very defensive of the TDCi in the past - search my previous posts if you like. However, nothing can prepare you for the 'kick in the guts' you get from a few costly garage bills. For the record, I've just put a deposit down on a 2 litre petrol Mondeo Ghia Estate - 06 plate - same spec as mine, but with post 2003 facelift. It may not be the tow car the diesel is but, as I say, I've just lost faith with these TDCi units at the moment - and CR diesels in general - and no amount of convincing is going to win that back for a while. However, absolutely love the Mondeo drive and think the build quality & interior materials are fine. So I feel like I'm divorcing the diesel brigade and running off with the petrol clan.....!

Took a chance to look at the new Mondeo while I was there. Another three years to iron out all the wonky bits, and I may go for one of them...
Here's hoping for more luck with car bills over the next few years...
Thanks for the replies, everyone.
Splodgeface
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - Martin Devon
Mercedes E320 petrol. 29.5 mpg north Devon to southampton and back AND some fun where possible as mid range acceleration is my kick. Used cruise mainly though which the experts tell me is brilliant for economy. I promise the figure is true.

vbr.......MD.
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - Bagpuss
It strikes me that a petrol - say a Volvo 2.4 - would offer similar power (ok perhaps not the torque)

I would try a Volvo 2.4 if I were you. The current Bagpuss rental car is an S40 2.4i and I wouldn't exactly describe it as overpowered though, this being the USA, it's obviously an automatic. According to the Volvo website it has 170bhp, maybe the manual version is better? The sound of the 5 cylinder engine is also an acquired taste that I haven't yet acquired.

Actually there are lots of other things that I don't like about it, but I've come to realise that I always have a downer on rental cars that are too mean spirited to include an AUX socket for my iPod, and thereby condemn me to hours of listening to midwest USA radio.
Towing - common fail D or petrol v costs - Greg R
I think older engines are more reliable because they had much more servicing ? oil changes more frequently, and other fluids more frequently. Also, the engines were much simpler.

The new diesel engines are much more complex, and probably need the same number of oil changes as their older counterparts. In addition to this, the garages possibly use the wrong oil ? which wouldn?t surprise me.

Another variable might be working the car harder. As they are becoming quieter, people probably work the engine harder ? especially when it isn?t their personal car!

With my dads cars ? over 20 years ? the only thing to go was a head gasket. These seem to blow because the fluid needs changing every 2 years ? again caused by not changing the fluid!

But HJ mentioned that with extended servicing, the car will not last longer than 100,000 miles without major problems, which explains everything really!