Interior Car Smell - hillman1 {p}
Hi All,

I left a post a while back regarding how to get rid of the smell inside SWMBO's car and got some helpful advice such as bicarb of soda, neutradol etc and have tried both but to no avail.

The smell is of pets etc from the previous owner. When we testdrove the car it hadn't been cleaned and smelt OK- when we collected it they had done a shampoo etc which I guess has caused the smell to get worse and keep coming.

There is a vehicle valeter/detailer near to where I live in West Kent who has said that he thinks he will be able to sort it for me by doing a "full interior valet/shampoo using a bio product to tackle the source of the odour, followed by putting an Aromatek machine inside the car which fills it with a residue free dry vapour". This apparantly guarantees to get rid of the smell permanantly and is better than many valeters who would use a wet vapour which would just mask the smell.

Any advice from anyone in the know as to whether this will be any good. I don't drive her car often, but when I do I find it pretty unbearable!

Thanks

Nick
Interior Car Smell - gmac
Have you tried an old jam jar half filled with vinegar ?

Put it in the footwell run the heater full on with all vents open for five minutes or so then leave the car with the open jar of vinegar overnight.
Leave a post-it note on the steering wheel or inside the window so you don't get in the car in the morning and kick it over.

That gets rid of some pretty nasty smells.
I haven't tried that but I'm willing to give anything a go. The bicarb of soda has been on an oven tray under the drivers seat for a week though and that hasn't had any effect whatsoever.

Thanks
Interior Car Smell - LHM
Grass clippings have been suggested in the past........
Interior Car Smell - normd2
when our cats were kittens last year and had 'accidents' behind the sofa and in odd corners that were only found by sense of smell (cat poo has to be smelled to be believed!!!!!) we found the best thing to eliminate lingering odour was a trigger spray called Fabreze or Febreez or something like that

ps i'm not blond and this is not an advert....
Woud be a good ad though- "Got cat poo problems??? Try Febreze!" Seriously though, sorry to hear you aren't blond. Have tried febreze and it didn't work- only masked the smell for a matter of moments. Thanks for the suggestion.

Nick
Interior Car Smell - Altea Ego
Rent my wet labrador for a week, and place in your car.

It wont fix your current smell, but it will stop you moaning because you will realise that there are some of use who really do have to suffer.

Watch out for a red Touran with a slight whif appearing shortly on a forecourt near you.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Interior Car Smell - Marc
This article explains about "fogging" and getting rid of smells.

www.clean-image.co.uk/odour-kill.htm

Lots of other interesting valeting articles on here too
Not moaning as such TVM. Have you thought about getting a tow bar and trailer for the Altea? Obviously a trailer with a cover...
www.dogtrailer.co.uk/twodogtrailers.htm

Not sure Nicole would appreciate traveling in one tho.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Glad you took that in the good humour that was intended. The trailer looks great- I'm thinking that with my children being very young they could start using it now and by the time they are old enough to complain they will have become conditioned to it...
But seriously tho

I am not sure anything will get rid of the smell of dog. Even neutradol fails.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Thanks for the help. It isn't really to doggy the smell- more I think the dog may have had an incontinence problem- that is more like what he smell is..... Delightful
Interior Car Smell - deepwith
There is a Jeyes product called Paws n Claws - Home Disinfectant Spray - which we have been using since we got our Batterseas Rescue pup (still not completely clean :-( ... but getting there slowly) and unless visitors are being kind, it has dealt with the pongs. Can be used on carpets, bedding, soft furnishings, hard surfaces ie wooden floor.
From your last post though, are you being unkind about some mutt when the problem might be on a human seat? My mother used to have a visitor who she dreaded from the little 'leaks' on the upholstery!
Might not be a dog, but definitely coming from the footwell behind the driver.
Interior Car Smell - bell boy
if its smells like babies nappies (ammonia) then its old water caught in the wadding under the carpet gone off
you need to throw the wadding away and replace it
easiest way to get this smell?.have the car valeted but not have all the water taken out after the valet
ie a quick job done
Interior Car Smell - deepwith
Ahh - another thought with your latest info. Could be spilt milk of some age. Try actually cleaning the carpet (and area underneath) with bicarb/water mix - test small area of carpet first for colour fastness/effect.
Hmm, thanks guys for the info- plenty to be getting on with over the weekend.
Interior Car Smell - billy25
just put a large "blob" of "Vick" on your top lip!!!

billy
Interior Car Smell - milkyjoe
Might not be a dog but definitely coming from the footwell behind the driver.
MIL?
Interior Car Smell - Stuartli
>>Have tried febreze and it didn't work- only masked the smell for a matter of moments>>

That's because that's all it does, just like air fresheners.

I'm very surprised that Neutrodol doesn't solve the problem (or the copy cat equivalents such as Oust).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Interior Car Smell - Armitage Shanks {p}
I see nobody has, yet, mentioned the old favourite - a bag of fresh grass cuttings. Obviously not some with dog's logs in them, clean and fresh!
Interior Car Smell - Stuartli
See LMH's Friday posting...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Interior Car Smell - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thanks. It was for me and it did pass me by!