Oil Treatments/Petrol Treatments - Carl
Does anyone have any wisdom on the use of Oil Treatments and Petrol/Diesel Treatments (i.e Wynns, STP, Greased Lighting etc) in modern cars.

Do the treatments provide anything in addition to that provided by a good petrol(or diesel) with a good detergent package, or quality oil (esso ultron, mobil 1 or similar)

Can they cause any damage?
Re: Oil Treatments/Petrol Treatments - Honest John
A rally driver I know reckons that Slick 50 saved his engine once when it lost all its oil. He now uses it in everything, inlcuding his new Impreza WRX STi. But I'm only telling you what he told me. I don't used the stuff. I've only ever used STP gearbox oil treatment to try and save a box in a Jetta 16v with noisy bearings. It was still running fine three years later when I sold it.

HJ
Re: Oil Treatments/Petrol Treatments - Mark
If you search on here someone did post a link to an "oil bible" website sometime ago.

I had a look on this and it was particularly dismissive of slick 50 to the extent I stopped using it. It claimed the telfon particles can clog an oil filter leading to reduced performance. Whether this is true on not I do not know.

With regards fuel additives I have always used Millers Diesel plus but again mixed comments on this site, some think its "snake oil" others do not not. However I still use it.

as ever

Mark
Re: Oil Treatments/Petrol Treatments - Brian
Molyslip used to be very popular a few years ago, but dealers allegedly warned against using it in motorcycles with wet plate clutches because it reduced the friction between the plates and the clutch slipped.