Motor Mowers - oldbuffer
What documents will be required to walk with a pedestrian motor mower on the pavement.
Will I need a drivers licence and insurance to go between two properties walking behind on the pavement?
Motor Mowers - mike hannon
There used to be a special licence class for driving self-propelled mowers on the road and big mowers used to carry number plates, IIRC.
I guess you are supposed to just push it along with the engine off.
Motor Mowers - Cliff Pope
You need insurance to push a car along a public highway.
Motor Mowers - Round The Bend
Depends if your have the motor on or not. If the motor isn't running you will only need the same documents as a shopping trolley (OAP pass etc)..........
Motor Mowers - oldbuffer
I need the engine running to drive the wheels, thats the problem.
Motor Mowers - Dwight Van Driver
Road Traffic Act 1988

Section 189.?(1) For the purposes of the Road Traffic Acts?

(a) a mechanically propelled vehicle being an implement for cutting grass which is controlled by a pedestrian and is not capable of being used or adapted for any other purpose,
is to be treated as not being a motor vehicle.

So that means Driving Licence, Insurance and Test Certificates are out.

Section 5 Vehicles Excise and Registration Act 1994

Schedule 2 exempts from duty:

'A vehicle which is not constructed or adapted for use, or used, for the carriage of a driver or passenger is an exempt vehicle."

No duty, no registration, no number plates.

dvd
Motor Mowers - oldbuffer
Spot-on, many thanks
Motor Mowers - Waino
Interesting question. I'm sure, some 35 years ago when worked for the local council during college vacations, one of the blokes took his 'test' (a proper DVLA type thing) while manhandling a pedestrian controlled vibrating road-roller. Was I having my leg pulled - or was this possible?

I wondered if it might have been a leg up to gaining a licence for something more lethal - e.g. I knew a bloke who passed his test after a days workout on a Honda C50 and immediately took to the roads on an Enfield Constellation. Mind you, I don't think that would be allowed these days! IIRC, the Connie was written off within weeks.
Motor Mowers - Cliff Pope
The exemption quoted was only for a grass-cutting machine. So presumably that does not cover a road-roller, line painter, or my rotovator when I take it across the road. Also I think there are pedestrian controlled mini-diggers, pallet trucks, and of course pedestrian-controlled electric vehicles for a variety of purposes.
Motor Mowers - Lud
And of course there are those souped-up ride-on mowers that eccentrics race. I don't think they have cutting blades.
Motor Mowers - mal
I was never sure if what I was doing was ok when I went down the road to cut the verges outside our house.
Mind you it is rather a large 48ins cut 21 hp Husqvarna with the deck out front is nearly as big as a small car and I could have actually bought a small car with what it cost!!.
Although I place warning triangles when I am cutting and wear hi viz clothing who would be to blame if a vehicle were to collide with me...ouch!!
Am I not breaking any laws at all as it is not my grass I am cutting and actually have to access it via the highway and cross to the other side.
Motor Mowers - Pugugly {P}
Mind you don't get grassed !
Motor Mowers - mss1tw
Hay come on, no need for puns like that
Motor Mowers - Bill Payer
Am I not breaking any laws at all as it is not my grass I
am cutting and actually have to access it via the highway and cross to the
other side.

Presumeably that's a ride on mower, so I would imagine that you are breaking a lot of laws.

In the OP's case, in the event of some horrible accident, would his household insurance still cover his liability to third party's once he was off his own property?