Legroom Required - Apply Within - Chris M
The time is approaching for a replacement for my Vectra B to be found. All things being equal, a 2 year old/60,000 mile Vectra C would be sought from auction. However, whilst I'm 6'2" and find the Vectra comfortable in the front, my 13 year old son is starting to complain about the lack of legroom in the back (and a load of other things as well being a teenager!). He is 5'6" and his younger brother is not far behind.

I keep my cars for about 4 years and so have to factor in their likely growth rate over that time. I am working on the assumption that the replacement car needs enough leg and headroom for me to be comfortable in the front and then for me to be able to sit behind myself, so to speak.

Another consideration is that the car should be no longer than a Vectra B (4,500mm), as it will make parking at home easier. Budget is £5-6K. Not worried about image (I drive a Vectra!). Annual mileage is 13k, so economy not much of an issue. Needs to be reasonably quiet and comfortable for my motorway commute. Not bothered about the quality of the dealers as I don't use them, but a DIY friendly car is required.

Any recommendations, especially from those backroomers faced with a similar dilemma?
Legroom Required - Apply Within - lucklesspedestrian
Surely the Skoda Superb has to be a consideration.
Also the Vauxhall Signum has terrific legroom with the rear seats back.
Legroom Required - Apply Within - Chris M
Nice cars, but they don't fit the length requirement!
Legroom Required - Apply Within - boxsterboy
If max length is restricted, then maybe go for a car where driver and rear passengers sit more upright - Scenic, Picasso, C-Max, etc. Sitting more upright tends to make better use of the length of the car.
Legroom Required - Apply Within - hjd
Honda Civic previous model - length 4284mm - much more spacious inside than many larger cars.
My main reason for putchase was the interior space, legroom etc. We are a tall family.
Should be some available within your budget.
Legroom Required - Apply Within - Bromptonaut
PSA Berlingo/Partner (the new Mondeo TDCI - fits every bill!!!)
Legroom Required - Apply Within - tyro
C-Max has rear seats (at least on Zetec trim and above) in which the middle seat can be removed and the other two can slide backwards diagonally to give plenty of room - or something like that.

(C Max is 4333mm long by the way)
Legroom Required - Apply Within - Ravenger
Yes the legroom in the C-Max is very impressive when you move the rear seats back. I regularly transport two colleagues to work in my C-Max, and there's masses of room. In fact the sliding rear seats were a large factor in my choosing the car. It's pretty roomy with the seats forward too.

You don't actually remove the middle seat to do it. You lift the bottom edge of the middle seat up, and it folds and slides backwards into the boot. The outer two seats then slide diagonally in and back. So you sacrifice a bit of boot space and the small middle seat to gain a large amount of leg and elbow room for 2 rear passengers.
Legroom Required - Apply Within - jc2
Partner,Berlingo or Tourneo Connect.
Legroom Required - Apply Within - tack
Citroen Berlingo .v. Honda Civic....

I am 6'3" with a 34" inside leg. The rear of a Civic was excellent for me. Berlingo is great too, but how about reliability/quality of build? Has to be the Honda I think. As they are not the latest model, there must be some late bargains around?
Legroom Required - Apply Within - Clk Sec
Pity about the length requirement. The Mazda6, possibly without a sunshine roof, would be ideal.

Likely to be some bargains around, as I believe a replacement is due next year.

Clk Sec