Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - sc@ff
Need some advice regards how I stand regards getting my money back on a car I purchased last week.

I purchased the car (bmw) on the 5/6/07 for £4000 from a trader. The trader has various high end models on his for court. I was told by the sales man that the car needed valeting and a service and this was why the car was so cheap. He tried to tell me this car would be worth £5999 if they valeted it etc (max value £4500 in my eyes). The car sales man wrote down on the receipt 'no warranty implied or given, sold as seen & tested. The sales man told me the car was from a friend of the bosses and he would sell it to his mother it was that good a car.

The car came with 11 months MOT which was passed by another garage not the trader. After driving back home, the next day I notice my drive way was covered in oil. I rang my friend a mechanic and he came and had a look. To his amazement he could not believe a trader had let this car out for sale.

1.The head gasket had been incorrectly fitted and was leaking.

This was only the start of it, I took the car to another garage to let them have a look at it,they told me the car would not pass an MOT and should not be on the road. Corroded brake pipes,corroded disks and only working at 20% at the back,rear suspension bushes the list goes on and on. 5 major things would stop it from passing the MOT and the head gasket was on top of all that.

I took the car back to the garage and asked them to look over the list the other garage had picked up on. I told the manager I no longer wanted the car and would like a refund. He responded with 'I will only fix a few things on the list which he deemed appropriate'. The car is not road worthy and is not fit for purpose. He told me it was not his problem the car would fail the MOT because he didn't do the last MOT.

Does anyone know the obligations of a trader? Do they have to check the car before they sell it, as this trader claims he doesn't. Surely this is not right as even Trading Standards state that just because a car has its MOT it does not make it road worthy.

Any advice?

{Subject header made less vague - DD}
HELP! Advice needed! - Nsar
I feel sure you'll get a lot of good advice here from people who know far more about the realities of this than me, all I'd offer is to say stay professional throughout, don't lose your rag and make detailed notes of conversations as soon as possible after the conversation took place.

HELP! Advice needed! - sc@ff
Thanks for reply Nsar

I have kept a record of what the trader said - my father in law was with me when we went to see them, so at least I have a witness!!

An example of some of the 'priceless' things he said to us are

1. The air con doesn't work and when I asked him about it he said "Just cause I advertised air con it doesn't mean it has to work"

2. "If you don't stop quoting Trading Standards I won't even entertain fixing the car"

3 Asked him about the corroded brake pipes and corroded disk and what would have happened if I had crashed due to brake failure he replied " you've got your front brakes"

The list goes on!!!

When I first made contact with him regarding the faults I told him that I didn't want to get Trading Standards involved, I just wanted my money back. But after he made the points listed above and more, I don't feel confident in him repairing the car.
HELP! Advice needed! - Aprilia
The disclaimer written on the receipt is irrelevant.

You should act swiftly...

1. Take the car for an MoT. Assuming it does indeed fail on the items you mention then take a copy of the failure sheet and send it to the trader, stating that the car is not roadworthy and you demand a full refund within 7 working days. Send it by Special Delivery (online tracking comes with this). State that you will begin court proceedings if no refund is forthcoming.
2. To back up your court case you should book a car check with the RAC or DEKRA (AA). This should confirm the head gasket problem. This inspection will cost £200+, but worth it.

You are within the Small Claims Court limit (under £5000) - the court fee is about £70 (IIRC) and you can claim back the cost of your MoT, Car Inspection and any other small expenses (postage etc), plus a small amount of time off work.

The trader has not got a hope in hell of defending this one, so proceed with confidence.
Don't even bother arguing with the dealer and don't go to Trading Standards. IF the dealer has got any sense he will know that he's got no chance of defending this car in court and will give you a refund.

PS - is it an E46 3-series? Corroded pipes and rear bushes make me think so. If buying one of these BM's don't get taken in by all the hype - they do wear out and go wrong. Soooo many people get stung buying secondhand BM's - they really don't go one forever with minimal repairs (ask your local GSF or ECP parts man!). If you don't know much about cars then get it properly inspected.
We took the car back to the trader in question and after all the discussions he told us that if we drove the car off the forecourt and something happened due to the head gasket, he would not be held responsible. Looking back we shouldn't have left the car, but at the time I didn't know what my rights were, so felt as though I didn't have any other option.
I phoned later in the day to inform him that I wanted another MOT on the car. He told us that he would not allow anyone but VOSA to look at the car. I therefore called VOSA and due to the brake pipe corrosion I could lodge an appeal and someone from VOSA would be out within 5 days to look at the car.
This is now where we stand - waiting! Plus we can't call Trading Standards till tomorrow morning.
HELP! Advice needed! - T Lucas
No help,but why do so many people think they are buying very tired used cars from Marks&Spencer?
No help but why do so many people think they are buying very tired used
cars from Marks&Spencer?

'Tired' is one thing, but surely you can't defend retail sale of a £4k+ car with blown head gasket? If true then trader is very dodgy and deserves to be skewered.
No help but why do so many people think they are buying very tired used
cars from Marks&Spencer?

Don't understand what your point is?????!!!!!
No i dont defend the sale of what sounds like a shed,but how many times and how many people think that buying a used car is like buying clothes from M&S.Oh well its no good,i'll just take it back.Why not do the research/inspections first and save a world of pain?
I take it that when you go clothes shopping you try on every single item of clothing before you buy it and if it shrinks in the wash then you take it its your own fault for not washing it before use.

There are only so many visible things you can check when buying a car and yes I might not know the ins and outs of cars but when you buy from a trader don't you expect to be sold a road worthy car??? This is why I went to trader and didn't buy privately.

Do we all need to be a registered mechanic or indeed have a friend that is one, in order to buy a car???
If you do not know what you are looking at it makes sense to pay to have an impartial inspection done.DEKRA,RAC or the AA all offer the service.They would all have saved you buying this particular car.
Looking back I wish I had done this, but I had very little knowledge on buying cars. The two cars I have bought were from friends who I knew looked after them. It's all very well in saying what I should have done, and yes next time I do buy another car this will all be taken on board. But I am still stuck with this car. I thought buying a car for £4k with 88k miles with fbmwsh up to 66k the rest from non bmw would get me a fairly good car. Yeah I don't have loads of money to buy a brand new car, if I did I would have!!

HELP! Advice needed! - flunky
Yeah I don't have loads of money to buy a brand
new car if I did I would have!!

You did pay loads of money for the BMW badge though....

You could have bought one on ebay for £8, tinyurl.com/2jh8jh, and bought a Mondeo with the change.
regardless of what car I purchased, does it matter whether I bought a BMW or a Mondeo? The question I originally asked was can a trader sell a car that has not been checked themselves before sale?

But thank you for taking 5 mins of your time to search ebay for a BMW badge, great help to me!
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - flunky
regardless of what car I purchased does it matter whether I bought a BMW or
a Mondeo?

It seems that you rather regret buying a faulty vehicle, and I was pointing out that part of the problem is that a cheap BMW might not have been a very good idea, because by the time you've paid for the badge there's very little left to pay for a serviceable vehicle.
Point taken, I just thought a BMW would be a good purchase as I thought they were a good well made car. Obviously this wasn't the case.
See FAQ answer about rejecting a duff car on this site.

SNIP! Rest of quoted post removed - please just summarise or add "in reply to xxx" - DD

How do find out about whether or not the car was sold on 'trade terms'?
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - T Lucas
BMWs are well made cars,its just that as they get older they appeal to a sector of the motoring public that will not spend any money to maintain them,and so often they have a lot of expensive faults with them.
Also BMWs often do a high mileage in the first 2/3 years and so are prime candidates for clocking.Have you checked the mieage on your BMW?
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - Altea Ego
How do find out about whether or not the car was sold on 'trade terms'?

Its in here

"The car sales man wrote down on the receipt 'no warranty implied or given, sold as seen & tested."
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - bell boy
while i am only going to sit on the fence here

i have to say that anybody that wants a car cheaper than my sticker price can sometimes buy the car reduced if i have a bad hair day but i always make sure the invoice states trade sale sold as seen and i make the customer sign it
i have never had a problem with trading standards over this because the customer has had his cake and its up to him how he eats it

as i say this is a generalisation from my point and i do not know all the facts
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - Armitage Shanks {p}
"The car sales man wrote down on the receipt 'no warranty implied or given, sold as seen & tested."
Does signing this mean the buyer has also waived, or lost the benefit of, current legislation which states (broadly) that any fault occuring on a 2nd hand car within 6 months of purchase is deemed to have been present when it was sold and it is up to the seller to prove otherwise?
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - Dalglish
in reply to bell boy:
but i always make sure the invoice states trade sale sold as seen and i make the customer

sign it

bell boy, you may be doing that but whether it is against the law is another matter:
www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/...f

scoff: when you consider the replies above, bear in mind the statement at
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=33...1

so you need to be careful when a computer expert like tvm says rubbish like:
Its in here "The car sales man wrote down on the receipt 'no warranty implied or given, sold

as seen & tested." ------------------------------ TourVanManTM < Ex RF > >>

if someone like pugugly, or david-hm, or dwight-van-driver replies, bear in mind they have some expertise in matters of law.

this is advice that one trading standards depatrtment gives to car-traders in its district:
Supply of Goods & Services Act 1982 ( as amended)
When a customer purchases any goods from a trader, those goods must be:-
of satisfactory quality
fit for their purpose and
correctly described
If they are not, then the customer has legal rights including, in certain circumstances, the right to a full refund or repair. The law prohibits the display of statements which state or imply that a consumer with a justified complaint has no right of redress.
Examples of prohibited statements include, ?no cash refunds?, ?sold as seen and inspected?, ?trade sale, no warranty?.
We advise giving the customer a copy of a Pre-delivery inspection sheet, both so that you have a signed record of any defects brought to the attention of the customer, and to ensure that a proper check of the vehicle is conducted before sale. You should keep records of all customer complaints and repairs in case there is a dispute over the quality of the vehicle sold, and the standard of after-sales service.

read up honestjohn's faq and search this forum (button under your login name on the right) or search the internet for references to what dealers can or cannot do when sselling 2nd hand cars.
.... search this forum (button under your login name on the right) ..

here are some links from previous discussions:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=43...3
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=44...7
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=50...4
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=52...4
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=51...7

thanks for the link dalglish (i cant get it to work though)

let me be more explanatory in my wording from my point of view,
a customer views a car, goes through it with all the sense of he has done the job himself, finds silly niggles that you would expect on a second hand car and then for these niggles he wants the car cheaper. I offer to fix these and give a warranty but he just wants to take the car as is(cheaper)
its a man thing that men have to do, i sometimes then treat them as trade buyers make them sign the sold as seen and tell them thats it now no comebacks (if i can easily sell this car then i dont do this,i will only do it with a sticker ie one that nobody wants)
i dont have this problem with women if they want the car they pay the price and are happy with my warranty
I have been informed by Trading Standards the the term 'Sold as Seen' is meaningless and that I can report them for advertising this on the vehicle.

Latest update - I have lodged a complaint with VOSA due to the corrosion of the brake pipes. The car, as said before, was MOT in May 07 and since that time it has done 600 miles - brake pipes corroded in this space of time????? Doubtful.

The trader has admitted it is un -roadworthy and so has an independent mechanic. However we need VOSA to confirm this.

They should be out within the next 5 days, so fingers crossed.
The trader has admitted it is un -roadworthy
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
End of conversation then, tell him you want your money back now .
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - menu du jour
sc@ff
I feel really sorry for you. I have been stitched-up on more than one occasion by dodgy dealers. Hope it all works out ok.
culmhead
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - Bill Payer
Here are some helpful clues to avoid buying a pup in the future (quotes from the original post):
"The sales man told me the car was from a friend of the bosses and he would sell it to his mother it was that good a car."

If that doesn't make you walk away, then this should have:

Oh, and if you have a friend who is a mechanic, then have him look over the care *before* you buy it, not after.
Oh and if you have a friend who is a mechanic then have him look
over the care *before* you buy it not after.

SNIP THE REST - please don't quote the whole message you're replying to, just summarise or add "in reply to xxx" - DD"

Next time I'll just stay away from independent traders altogether!
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - Aprilia

No need to do that, but look for one who has been around for a good few years. The bad ones don't usually last long.

Unless a sale is genuinely a 'trade sale' (i.e. to another person who is engaged in buying/selling cars as a business and will not be the end user) then the sale is a 'retail sale' and anything written on the receipt is irrelevant and many actually count against the seller if there is a court case.

whatever........
>>>>>>>> all the facilities are out there to make sure you buy a good car from hpi to dekra to bob down the street in his lockup,these people can all help sort wheat from chaff
>>>>>>>>
i once got a mouldy loaf from aq large supermarket but i still go back there
>>>>>>>>>
my personal opinion of your posts are that you are a troll just out to cause trouble
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - Hamsafar
'no warranty implied or given, sold as seen & tested. "

It's illegal to state this these days, as it affects your statutory rights. e.g.

www.norfolk.gov.uk/consumption/groups/public/docum...f

www.luton.gov.uk/internet/business/trading_standar...s
How can I be out to cause trouble?? I was sold a car that has massive corrosion on the N/S and O/S brake pipes, the N/S and O/S front rear suspension arm brushes are worn to nothing - these to name but a few faults. Can you tell me how the hell you can check for these things? Being a woman who doesn't know much about cars I went to a large trader for that particular reason, so I wasn't ripped off. The car lot had over 70 cars there including two Bentleys - its not as though I went to the roughest looking car lot I could find and took any old sack of pink fluffy dice - {suggest you take a look at the BR policy on SWEARING DD}
I'm not out to cause trouble for anyone, but I refuse to be ripped off and screwed over on this. I was sold a car by a trader that has been deemed unfit and illegal to drive - so what I should just lump it and go back there and buy another one?
I posted on this forum for some help - not abuse

Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - Dynamic Dave
I posted on this forum for some help - not abuse

Quite! Can we stop the flaming please - more so when it's a new BR member. DD.
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - Saltrampen
As a crude guide, better independents may offer longer warranties relative to the price of car and their rivals, included in price. OK Any of them can sell you a warranty for 6 months+, but I guess the warranty company will ditch the independent if they get an abnormal number of claims if the Independent is selling dubious stock...(assuming a well known national warranty company)
All my mates who had good cars from independents have either bought them from trusted mechanics who sell 2 or 3 cars outside their workshop or business's that have been around for decades and owned by same person.
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - rogue-trooper
go get em sc@ff.

this sort of experience is why I prefer to buy from a dealer inspite of the higher price, and I hope that I haven't got a complete pup.
Scoff speaking from a distance and with the benefit of hindsight I would have slightly perplexed by the combination of the salesman telling you he would sell it to his Mother (with whom I now think he must have a distant and unsatisfactoty relationship!) and selling it you As Seen, No Warranty etc!
Thanks for your responses! I have spoke to trading standards who have basically said if vosa say the car is un-road worthy I can ask for a full refund. Vosa are coming on Wednesday to inspect the car at a third party garage.

I have learn't a few lessons from this and will never buy a car from a dealer without inspection for the AA etc first.

I will keep you posted with the outcome. Hope other people in the future will learn from this and not be conned by a trader buying a cheap car because it hasn't been valeted or serviced.
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - Sprice
Good luck sc@ff, it must be very distressing for you (Its for this reason I buy 'sheds' and even though I could afford a new car my current car I paid £285 for with 12 months MOT some tax and 4 brand new tyres) and will continue to do so.

From all the advice posted I'm sure you'll get your money back (please dont be put off by some of the replies and feel free to post with any motoring queries).

Just to give you an update -

VOSA came down this morning to inspect the car and have issued us a Refusal of an MOT certificate. There were 5 reasons for refusal!!!

We made contact with the trader again and he is still refusing to give us a refund! I think he is under the impression that we are going to just forget about it and get the car fixed - he's in for a shock!
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - normd2
Whilst it may be galling to continue to deal with this trader does he have anything else in his stock you could live with, even for a short time? (after an independant inspection of course!) Might be less heartache and you'd have a reasonable car to trade in elsewhere for something you did want?
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - normd2
....having persuaded him to take back the dud I should have added.
....having persuaded him to take back the dud I should have added.

Thats the thing! I'm strongly under the impression that this guy knew what he was doing when he sold us this car and we fell right for it - I don't think he would even let us trade the car in for anything else - plus I really don't want to ever to have to deal with this bloke again! He's admitted that he doesn't check his cars before he sells them!
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - tintin01
I found these consumer sites useful:

www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/

www.howtocomplain.com/
Thanks for the link tintin, I've had numerous conversations with Consumer Direct and have followed their advice to the letter. However the trader still refuses to believe that any of this is his problem. As far as he is concerned we bought the car with the description 'Trade Sale, Sold as Seen, No warranty etc etc' and he is not responsible for anything else.
He now has to put his response in writting to us for us to then take it further - another wait without no car. The thought of being without a car for the next 14 odd days is horrible! Its costing a fortune for me to get to work by taxi!
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - Vin {P}
Good luck, Sc@ff - give them hell; they quite clearly deserve it.

Bell boy - Customers are clearly a problem to you - you won't sell to someone who asks questions about things like CO2 outputs, as they haven't done their homework. You also accuse someone with a serious problem purchase of being a "troll". You will no doubt go from success to success in your trade and be a beacon to other would-be traders in motor vehicles.

V
The "troll" comment did make me laugh!! Don't think I ever been called that before!

But I agree with everything you said Vin!!!
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - Aprilia
Sc@ff

Don't muck about - send a letter by Special Delivery asking for money back in 7 days or you start Small Claims Court proceeding.
You can do the court stuff online and its cheap. Don't forget to claim for any costs associated with your claim.

I've no sympathy for PITA customers, but you sound to have a genuine case and the trader sounds like a rogue.
Thanks Aprilia, I sent the letter off yesterday recorded delivery with a copy of the report from VOSA. So we are just waiting now for him to get back in touch in with us.
I have bought Patricia Pearls book "Guide to Small Claims Procedure" from Amazon - we are about to sue a Leeds company who sold my 87 year old uncle an "adjustable bed" (a mattress) for £1600 claiming if he did not buy it he would end up in hospital again (he'd just come out). The salesman even filled out the cheque for him so he could sign it. The guy ticked a box saying the call was instigated by my uncle to make it look like the 7 day cooling off period wasn't applicable. We have tried to settle with them but they are stalling. Even if we don't get his money back I will be publicising the case as much as I can. According to Trading Standards this company is well-known to them and make a point of targeting the elderly charging large sums for basically a vibrating mattress pad. There are some really nasty people out there.

Anyway, the book is a bit heavy going but seems highly recommended and it has made me feel a bit more confident about the procedure. Worth a look if you get to the court stage.
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - Aretas
I did a Small Claims procedure some years ago using advice and a booklet from the Citizens Advice Bureau. Worked perfectly.
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - lordwoody
Without wanting to inject a pessimistic note I was recently reading the number of people who win small claim court hearings but are unable to get their money back ( don't have the figures but a surprisingly large percentage)
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - madf
Refund
The man has assets : trading stock...
madf
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - drbe
>>
The man has assets : trading stock...
>>

I wish the OP luck, but it is not always as straightforward as it may appear. There may well be a tangled web of intertwined companies and individuals, one has to be persistent with the enforcement procedure.

Try to get the bailiffs on your side, if you can. Been there, done that.
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - hillman1 {p}
I would echo this. I started proceedings against the trader I bought my car from back in October 2006. It has just about come to the end now. I won the case, but have received the princely sum of £10. My claim was considerably more than that. The main reason I have not received any more is that he currently has in the region of £170k of court claims against him as I was not the only one that he diddled! He is not in business any more, whereas the trader that sold the BMW still is so that will probably increase your chances of success considerably.

Good luck- really hope it works out for you.
I pursued some shyster thru the SCC for £80 - got it back plus all my costs. If you win and loser defaults they are in breach of a court order. Get the bailffs in to enforce the judgement, either their business or their home and take away a car or a plasma TV. Concentrates their minds wonderfully!
Only concentrates their minds if they own anything worth taking. I spoke to the bailiffs for my case and they explained it wouldn't be worth the visit (although they stressed they would if I wanted them to- I get the feeling he enjoyed his job) but anything in the house that was of any value was on Hire Purchase, therefore they coudn't touch it.

The other option should it get this far is looking at a charging order on the home- provided it belongs to the person- by doing that you effectively make the debt a secured one onto the property.

I should say that when I started proceedings I pretty much knew I would not get any money, but felt I didn't want him to get away scot-free. I wanted to make him feel uncomfortable and make it very difficult to do the same thing again to somebody else.

Based on the info with the BMW I think the OP has a strong case and should hopefully get a satisfactory result.
Good afternoon hillman, I read what you say about a bailiff's inability to sieze anything on HP and I assume it is true. How does this read across the police powers to sieze and crush untaxed or uninsured cars, which may also be subject to HP ie not the legal property of the user? Just idle curiosity.
Hello, to answer your question- I don't know. I am only going on what the bailiffs told me when I spoke with them. they had already visited the chap I was taking to court regarding a different claim against him and found that everything was on finance. I assume that the info they gave me is correct, but would be interested to hear from anyone else on the forum who could answer your question as you've made me curious too!
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - Ben {P}
Heed Aprilia's advice. You need to act quickly in these situations. As soon as you became aware of the actual condition of the car you should have taken it straight to an MOT station to get evidence you could produce in court should you need to. The trader will ignore you right up until the point he thinks he is going to loose money- i.e. the point he realises he will be taken to court where he will loose. Go to your local court immediately, the longer you leave it the weaker you case will become as this is all about the condition of the car at point of sale. I would not have left the car with the dealer as he may try and affect some bodged repairs. Given that you bought the thing in the first place it shows you know little about cars, so you should take note of the advice of the knowledgeable people here.
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - UncleR
Yeah I don't have loads of money to buy a brand
new car if I did I would have!!

>>>>You did pay loads of money for the BMW badge though....

>>>>You could have bought one on ebay for £8, tinyurl.com/2jh8jh, and bought a Mondeo with the change.

This is an interesting thread. I really hope you get a refund (it seems a clear cut case to me).

Re the above point, I was just wondering how people can suggest you paid over the odds for a car which I don't think you specified the age or model of?! (unless I've missed it somewhere)
in this hypothetical thread uncle r the car was valued by the trader at £5995 if mint, so it must be an s reg ;-)
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - Wee Willie Winkie
"I read what you say about a bailiff's inability to sieze anything on HP and I assume it is true. How does this read across the police powers to sieze and crush untaxed or uninsured cars, which may also be subject to HP ie not the legal property of the user? "

Ah! I can answer this as I work in HP World...

The Police will do an HPI check to establish if anyone has an interest in the vehicle. If so, they will contact us and tell us where the car is. It is then up to us to get our agent there sharpish to avoid storage fees mounting up. We usually have to pay to get the vehicle released. The process is the same for TfL, DVLA and HMR&C.

Cheers,
DB
Thank you DB. Further to this, would you pass such charges which might accrue, to the user of the car ie the bod buying it on HP or would you have to pick up the tab?
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - Wee Willie Winkie
We would pass the charges on, however as the hirer would no longer have their vehicle then they would be unlikely to pay even their normal instalment!

We haven't actually had any instances of police seizure as we are a relatively young company.
and how are we getting on then sc@ff?
bump
bump

bell-boy: you can try bumping the thread forever, and maybe sc@ff will lurk one day and decide to reply.
however, a lot of people, including many long-time members here, tend to ask a question and getthier replies but then never bother to update or close the thread. one particular mod too is guilty of this trait . i try to avoid replying to their questions once their habit becomes obvious.

the above phenomenon is particularly true of one-shot questions where the person has joined just to ask about their problem and then disappear from the forum never to be heard from again.

To be fair, once a question goes from the front page the thread often dies a quick death. I asked about CLK's a while ago, got a few replies and then nothing.
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - 007
Dalglish....I agree with you 100%. Many times I have read (or used) requests such as "Let us know the outcome" but it seldom happens.

eg..www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=52280
Just to add to this re: Aprillia's comment about acting quickly - I wish I had done this in connection with our recent aggro over a company selling my uncle an adjustable bed for £1600, which is worth about £150. We let trading standards pursue it and six months on no refund. Now we are about to start Small Claims action - should have done this straight away instead of having faith in the system. Anyway a story may be in the Yorkshire Evening Post soon so W Yorks backroomers read your YEP carefully over the next few weeks.
Apologies to you all for not repling sooner - believe it or not its still going on!
After sending VOSAs report and the MOT Refusal Certificate we heard nothing - what a surprise. Then we wrote again asking for our money back. We had a reply this time! They were NOT going to give our money back but were now only prepaired to fix the MOT failures, not the head gasket - seems he had a change of mind on this one!
To cut a long story short, after seeking legal advice we made a cliam at the court. The trader had two weeks to file a defense etc. tHe deadline was on monday and surprise surprise he put a defense in at 4pm on monday afternoon! Talk about dragging it out and making us suffer. The car has been sat on our drive for almost 4 months now - not MOT, no Tax and no insurance (can't do the last two as he won't sign the log book!)
We are now waiting for more forms from the court and we'll take it from there. One things for sure though, after all this time and everything he has done we are even more determine to not let him get away with this.
I'll try and keep you up to date as best I can
Thanks for all your advise along the way though.
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - Mapmaker
Can you claim for interest costs too? (i.e. £4,000 for three months at 2% over Bank of England base rate) no doubt somebody will know whether you can claim that through the small claims track.
We are claiming for interest as well as. We were told by a solictor that we can do this, we were also told to claim for expenses. Right now if we got the £4000 and also got rid of the car from the drive I'd take it in an instant! At this moment in time we can't really afford to get another car so we are having to make do without! Can't tell how difficult at times it is without a car!
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - Collos25
Full marks for going the distance.
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - stuartl
I think I would pursue this until the day I died. £4000 is too much money to walk away from but the arrogance of this muppet would make me inclined to chase him even if it was just for £100.

The only problem is in my experience (and I have had people owe me money do this) these people rack up so many of these then either liquidate the company (if it is Ltd) or declare themselves bankrupt. In either case, they will almost certainly owe HMR & C money and the law says that they always get first dip in whatever monies are left (After finance and secured loans have been paid should property be sold)

I really hope you get this scumbag before he does something like that

Good Luck
Thanks Stuart - feel as though we need the luck! After re-reading our letter from the courts today it turns out that the trader has only put in an acknowledgment of the claim and not a full defense - meaning he has a further two weeks to response! Its not that complicated to put in a defense, hes just making us wait, dragging the whole thing out. Every letter we have sent him (and there has been a few!) he has always replied AFTER the given deadline, so really this comes as no surprise. It seems as though its all about making us suffer! All he needed to do was to refund us the money four days after we bought it, if it were me I wouldn't want the hassle! It also makes me think that this has happened to him before. I just really hope this goes in our favour!
Recent purchase - obtaining a refund? - drbe
Just to be negative. as though you haven't had enough problems.

If/when you get judgement in your favour, that is most certainly not the end of it. The judgement has to be enforced, which IIRC, means another trip back to the Court.

In one of my earlier posts in this saga, I mentioned getting the bailiffs on your side, have a word with them - does the defendant have other unsatisfied warrants? Is he a man of straw? Is he a limited company or a sole trader?

If a sole trader is the house full of stuff on HP or on rental? The bailiffs cannot seize certain items essential to living or the tools of his trade. There may not be much left worth seizing.

Good luck.