Which? Alloy Wheel Cleaner... - RickyBoy
does the team have experience of?

Wonder Wheels has been mentioned. Any others worthy of merit?

Er, it's not for me and my pristine O _ _ _ _ _ _ obviously! I'm just asking for a mate, like...
Re: Which? Alloy Wheel Cleaner... - Matt Kelly
I have used Wonder wheels on the aged Speedline alloys on my MK2 Golf and it works well, especially if you're prepared to put a bit of effort in.

Autoglym make an alloy wheel cleaner which I imagine is up to the standard of their other products.
Re: Which? Alloy Wheel Cleaner... - Gary Bain
The only trouble I found with Wonder Wheels was the brush supplied is too soft and disintigrates after a few cleans.
Re: Which? Alloy Wheel Cleaner... - Steve Boreham
Wonder Wheels is the *only* wheel cleaner, in my book!
Great product, and a bottle lasts ages, as when the instructions say 'use sparingly', they mean it.

Only downside - do not let spots flick on to bare skin. Diluted hydrochloric acid (as I believe to be the case), plus whatever else is in the product, stings!

/Steve
Re: Which? Alloy Wheel Cleaner... - Steve Boreham
Gary,

To make the brush last longer, let it soak (and I mean soak, not a quick wash) in water after each use. I, too, used to find the brush disintegrated quickly, but now I throw it in a bucket of soapy water after use, one brush lasts over two bottles-worth of cleaner.

The brush is soft, so it doesn't scratch.
If you have stubborn brake dust, let WW soak for a while before hosing off, then reapply.

I also hose off all lose dirst before getting to work with WW, as I found that hard dirt particles otherwise scratched the alloys.

Hope this helps,
Steve
Re: Which? Alloy Wheel Cleaner... - Jud
Don't use it on pitted wheels
Re: Which? Alloy Wheel Cleaner... - mike harvey
Autoglym make a wheel cleaner which is OK, unless you can find a professional valeter to sell you some, as theirs is industrial strength, which for health and safety reasons is not sold to the public. The best I have found though is concrete cleaner. I would not be suprised if it is not the same stuff as professional wheel cleaner. They both make concrete foam white if spilt.
Regards
Mike
Re: Which? Alloy Wheel Cleaner... - Honest John
Watch out for acidic wheel cleaners as some of them can dissolve the laquer coating over the polished alloy.

HJ
Re: see autopia carcare - JB
As I have suggested before, have a look at autopia carcare web site and drill down the main menu by clicking on "detailing articles"
this takes you to the forum: Autopia > Detailing > Detailing Articles & Tips

the autopia car care home page is

autopia-carport.com/

for autopia-cc home, click here
Re: correction - re autopia carcare - JB
Sorry, you need to drill down to:

Autopia > Detailing > Detailing Articles & Tips > Autopia Articles > Exterior Detailing > Tire & Wheel Detailing

Quote below from Autopia

"........

Acid-based Cleaners -- These are widely used by detailers, car dealers and car washes who need to clean wheels in the shortest possible time or with the least amount of effort. Acid-based cleaners are typically 2% solutions of oxalic, phosphoric, and hydrochloric acid. Eagle One All Finish Wheel Cleaner is an example of an acid-based cleaner. While acid-based cleaners pack the greatest cleaning punch they can easily etch the surface of your wheel if allowed to dry. Care must be taken not to use acid cleaners on wheels with pitted or chipped surfaces. The
acid will migrate into any fissures and accentuate flaking and peeling of surface coatings.

Acid-free Cleaners -- These are mild solutions of alkaline solvent, usually ethylene glycol, with a wetting agent. These solutions creep under the dirt and brake dust, loosening and lifting surface grime. Non-acidic cleaners usually require some surface agitation (brush or sponge) but are safer to use and will not etch the wheel's finish. P21S is the best known 100% acid-free wheel cleaner. Acid-free wheel cleaners range in strength from mild (P21S), to moderate (P21S Gel), to professional strength (Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intensity).

........."
Re: correction - re autopia carcare - Guy Lacey aka Golf Geek
......or sulphamic acid.
Re: correction - re autopia carcare - KB
So what category does WW and Autoglym fall in.....acid or non-acid? My 'Autocare' cleaner has all manner of warnings about splashes in your eyes and on the paintwork, but doesn't say what's in it, it does however say use a brush for stubborn stains.

KB.
Re: correction - re autopia carcare - J Bonington Jagworth
Since most alloy wheels are painted or lacquered, compounds designed specificially to clean aluminium are probably a waste of time, especially as most wheels will have a few chips and scratches that acidic cleaners will get behind and lift the finish. Anything that etches will require you to go on using it, too, or am I being unduly pessimistic?