Discovery back door - Darcy Kitchin
Friend's Disco rear door is sagging so badly it can only be shut with thought and giving it a heave upwards. The lower hinge is all out of line and my first reaction is to pop both hinge pins out and check the wear factor.

Friend says knock them from the top and they will pop out the bottom. I said hit them from the bottom and they should come out the top.

Anyway what with the discussion, getting dark etc. we repaired to the local and made zero progress. So the question is, which way do we hit the pins to release the door? The pins seem particulary puny to cope with the weight of door and spare wheel.
Re: Discovery back door - Mark (Brazil)
hit them upwards.
Re: Discovery back door - Eleanor Coughran
Tell your freind to invest in a Land Cruiser and let someone else enjoy the wonderful Discovery.

Eleanor
Re: Discovery back door - Dwight Van Driver
Darcy

Don't forget to wear waterproofs for sure as little apples you will get soaked from release of trapped water when the door comes off.
Don't believe me? Release the 6 screws holding the rear well mat down at the back door floor and look underneath - water, water and rust.

DVD .
Re: Discovery back door - David W
DVD,

You just beat me to it.

I've had a shocking experience in this area recently with one Disco I look after. That carpet is so thick it covers some *interesting* stuff.

An ill-fitting rear door is one of the many causes of water leaks and that rear floor needs looking at. Don't bother looking from underneath, anything you might see there works on the iceberg principle compared with looking from the top.

Never tried to get the door off but I think you take off the trim to reveal two nuts/bolts per hinge inside the door so that can be unbolted and removed. Then take off the pillar trims to unbolt the hinges from the body. You can get new hinges without worrying about driving the pins out (which is likely to result in grazed knuckles and bodywork if done on-vehicle).

David
Re: Discovery back door - John S
darcy

I hate to add more to the doomsayers above, but apparently Disco rear doors are a known problem area.

Strangely, it was one of the few items carried over to the current model, to the horror of owners.

Regards

John
Re: Discovery back door - Darcy Kitchin
Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Eleanor, in Yorkshire a sagging rear door is not enough of an excuse to replace the entire vehicle.

DVD, John, David as sure as I'm hitting these keys now, those six screws are going to remain untouched. Coward? Moi? - For sure!
Darcy,

Actually if you think you don't want to know about the back floor best not to look, sight of a bad case can set in a weeks depression.

And as for the wider options, just be thankful no-one has come up with a convincing argument for replacing it with a Yaris!

Regards,

David
Re: Discovery back door - ian (cape town)
Mr Woolard, what IS it with you and backdoors?
I think we should be told ...
Funny thing Ian I still have *the* back door round the back of the workshop, sixth sense waiting for a Discovery in need??

David
Re: Discovery back door - Brill
Ian,

Two ells in 'Woollard', he's quite particular about that point. Get it right next time or he'll find a permanent home for that spare back door :o)

Stu.
Re: Discovery back door - Dwight Van Driver
Darcy
DW

homepage.virgin.net/mark.hopkins2/waterIngress.htm

to spend an interesting weekend without rod and line?

DVD