Pug/Citroen heater matrix - Dave N
I had a bulletin from Valeo, who make the heater matrix's for 106, 205, 306, 406, ZX, Zsara & Xantia, warning of premature failures. They claim it is due to corrosion and debris resting in the matrix (not their poor manufacturing) and stress the need for thorough flushing with Forte flush, then refilling with top quality anti-freeze and Forte cooling system conditioner.

This is a big job requiring dash removal and a/c regassing. So you have been warned!
Re: Pug/Citroen heater matrix - Bogwheeler
I have a ZX, my wife a Xsara. Who makes this Forte stuff?
(I think I've read of this problem elsewhere on this site).
Re: Pug/Citroen heater matrix - humpy
In my experience of three ZXs they all require new heater matrixes at around the 100000-120000 mark. Something to look out for if you are buying used. Having shopped around the cost is usually around the £400 area. I did it once myself and I'll never do it again!!
Re: Pug/Citroen heater matrix - humpy
Just a thought. If you have to have the job done and you have a high mileage vehicle best get the ventilation fan and all those dash bulbs replaced at the same time. Two of my previouscars developed really annoying squeaks from the fan bearing, presumably, and those bulbs don't last a year or two either. Anyone else any thoughts on that?
Re: Pug/Citroen heater matrix - David W
You do need a very methodical and determined mindset to do these. Actually better to do as a paid job and get on with it than as a stressful DIY episode.

Dash bulbs/fixings/connections need extreme care if a load of extra faults and rattles are to be avoided.

David
Re: Pug/Citroen heater matrix - Mike Harvey
Forte
Mike
Re: Pug/Citroen heater matrix - Mark (Brazil)
and to add to that...

www.gibsonscarcare.co.uk/ForteLubricants.htm>Gibson Supply

www.kryptontune.co.uk/prod02.htm>Kryptontune Supply

A couple of places which can supply it for you. Clearly there will be more, but at least you will know what you are looking for.
Re: Pug/Citroen heater matrix - Richard Hall
Presumably the tendency for Peugeot 306 radiators to disintegrate after 4 or 5 years is also due to 'corrosion and debris' resting in the radiator, rather than cheap materials.
Re: Pug/Citroen heater matrix - Brian
I have had to replace the radiator on a 309 and a 405.
My theory is that there is a slow circulation in the lower half of the rad. which lets any sludge deposit and it corrodes under that, but it IS only a theory!
Re: Pug/Citroen heater matrix - david
Remember the Pug advice is that the antifreeze requires changing every 2 yrs or 20000 miles, whichever comes first
Re: Pug/Citroen heater matrix - Miller
Christ, if it will cost me £400 to fix the heater in my ZX if it fails I might as well scrap it, being worth little more than that now.