New TomTom Goes Allow Map Editing - rtj70
TomTom have just announced two new TomTom Go devices (520 and 720). Lots of new clever stuff like voice recognition, FM transmitter to put sound through stereo. But the really cool change is called Map Share.

www.tomshardware.co.uk/2007/06/06/tomtom_user_maps/

You can create new roads, rename them, set one way streets and roadblocks. And share this with other users. Not sure if this will be available to amend maps on other existing TomTom products but this article does mention the Home product. The new devices let you amend maps on the device itself.

This might be what a lot of us have been waiting for?
New TomTom Goes Allow Map Editing - local yokel
This page:

crunchgear.com/2007/06/05/tomtom-go-720-has-user-e.../

suggest it's for US and Canada only at this stage:

"It?s the TomTom Go 720, made especially for the U.S. and Canadian markets."
New TomTom Goes Allow Map Editing - rtj70
The TomTom page mentions it for 520 and 720 and the 520 is Europe only.

tinyurl.com/2kl8wv

The hardware difference between 520/720 is the amount of memory (512Kb/1GB vs 2Gb) so it will be like the current 510/710 difference - single country + major European roads (520) or all of Europe (the 720). The States is so big you need the extra memory of the 720. At some point there will no doubt be the 920 which covers all Europe/USA/Canada but they will be waiting for cheaper flash memory instead of using a hard disk again.

We'll have to wait and see. It would be good if there was a way this could "edit" maps on current versions of the Go.
New TomTom Goes Allow Map Editing - Altea Ego
It would be good if there was a way this could "edit" maps on current versions of the Go.

Why?

I am driving along, my tom tom goes TT cos the road is wrong. BUt why do I need to edit the map? next time I am there I will know wont I! Sat nav is only for areas you dont know.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
New TomTom Goes Allow Map Editing - drbe
>> I! Sat nav is only for areas you dont know.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

Supposing you lend the device to your cousin's, half-sister's, brother-in-law?

It will strange territory to them, won't it?

New TomTom Goes Allow Map Editing - Altea Ego
It will strange territory to them won't it?

Good - I would want them to get lost.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
New TomTom Goes Allow Map Editing - Dipstick
"Sat nav is only for areas you dont know."

Not if you use it, as I do, for traffic info too.

Mine is on for going to work and back every day for that purpose. Saved me getting into jams on the A10 a few times too.

There is in fact a bug in the map at one point on that commuting route which mean the unit takes a weird route at one point, which I of course ignore every day. Be good for me to able to fix that very minor annoyance.
New TomTom Goes Allow Map Editing - Rudedog
It's the POI that are in the wrong place that annoy me, e.g. petrol stations that are clearly much further down the road or are shown as being in a field. I wish I could edit the pre-installed POI.
New TomTom Goes Allow Map Editing - NowWheels
You can create new roads rename them set one way streets and roadblocks.

Wonderful invention! If I get one, will it help me to create a new trans-Pennine expressway so that I can avoid the congestion on the M62?

;)