Fiesta 1.25 16V Zetec S Cambelt Change - grahamw
Hi,

I would really appreicate some advice on the following:
SWMBO has a 2001 Fiesta Freestyle with a 1.25 16V Zetec S engine.
It has covered 24,000 miles from new, we have owned it since it was 6 months old.
A local mobile mechanic has serviced it very well, annually for the past 3 years.
He and my local Ford dealer are adamant that the cambelt only needs changing at 100,000 miles or 10 years.
I seem to remember reading on the Forum that it should be replaced at 6 years, regardless of mileage.
We would like to keep running the car for another 3/4 years.
Many thanks for reading.
Fiesta 1.25 16V Zetec S Cambelt Change - DP
A difficult question to answer, but rubber does deteriorate over time, and the engine is likely to be destroyed if the belt breaks.

As changing the belt on this engine is neither difficult or expensive, and you plan to keep it for a few years, I'd be tempted to bite the bullet and get it done. Bear in mind you will be fully responsible financially for the consequences if the worst should happen.

I've changed cam belts "early" on every car I've owned. To me, the piece of mind is worth it, and if I do the job myself, the cost is negligible. The Zetec-SE engine really isn't difficult to do this job on assuming the correct timing pin and cam setting plates (available from any good motor factors) are used.

Cheers
DP
Many thanks DP,

As SWMBO wore the clutch and front discs out at 23,000, I'd better see if our mechanic can do it sooner than latter!

Regards
GrahamW

Fiesta 1.25 16V Zetec S Cambelt Change - Galaxy
The belt doesn't break on Ford Zetec engines, it's the pulleys and tensioner that go first. If you're getting the belt changed, whatever the mileage, make absolutely sure that a fully belt kit is fitted, i.e. belt, pulleys and tensioner.

As a matter of interest I had the belt changed on my Mondeo fitted with a Zetec engine at 96,000 miles; they do generally last the figure that Ford quote but, of course, some won't and will fail before.

Much depends upon the sort of life the car has had. Many short journeys and stopping and starting the engine will tend to shorten the cambelt life, long motorway journeys will tend to make it last longer.

Fiesta 1.25 16V Zetec S Cambelt Change - Galaxy
Sorry, forgot to add, only use (or have used) a genuine Ford cambelt kit.

They are made by Gates for Ford so a Gates kit is fine as well.

I wouldn't use anything else.

Thanks Galaxy,

Virtually all it's journey's are short, I'm concern that the belt or associated parts could fail during an occasional 'Italian Tune Up'
I'll insist on Ford/Gates parts.

Regards

GrahamW
SKF kits are OK as well, and seem to be sold by a lot of the factors around here at least. These are also Gates belts.

The SKF kit for mine was about £50-something if I recall correctly. Ford dealer quoted £75 for a "genuine" one.

Cheers
DP
This is all good news, thought I'd be in for a £300+ bill, it looks as if it will be half of that!

many thanks again.
Fiesta 1.25 16V Zetec S Cambelt Change - elekie&a/c doctor
When changing the cam belt on these it is absolutely imperative that the crankshaft bolt is replaced (it is a stretch bolt;use once only)as the sprocket is not keyed onto crankshaft.It is not usually part of cam belt kit and must be bought seperately.Also there are 2 sizes of bolt.
When changing the cam belt on these it is absolutely imperative that the crankshaft bolt
is replaced (it is a stretch bolt;use once only)

Oops!

Mine wasn't. :-(

Cheers
DP
Fiesta 1.25 16V Zetec S Cambelt Change - bathtub tom
Gates belts.

I fitted one to a Perkins diesel. I couldn't get enough tension on it, despite moving the tensioner to the second optional position.
Of course, something may have been done to the engine I wasn't aware of, such as a head skim.
I bought an original spec belt, it was visibly thicker. So when it went round all the wheels, it was tighter.
I think this was the first time in twenty-odd years that I've bought something from a motor factors that didn't come up to spec.