Parts on order - how long is reasonable? - rogue-trooper
Just spoke to my dealer about my wife's car whose sliding seats (middle row of MPV) will not lock into place. I had the car serviced with them 2.5 weeks ago and had by now expected the parts to be in (especially as I suppose that if I had an MOT now it would fail).

Was told that the parts weren't here yet and that sometimes it takes 6 weeks as it is often on backorder and needs to come from Japan. Is this really possible or did someone forget to order the parts?
Parts on order - how long is reasonable? - Deep Inhaler
Angel,

I have been in this situation as well, albeit a while ago. If the dealer didn't request any urgency the parts will be shipped by sea. If however the car is off the road, then parts can be sent by air though there may be certain weight restrictions. In my case I needed rear windows for a Toyota Previa, and once I spoke to Toyota myself the glass was with the repairer within 48 hours.
Parts on order - how long is reasonable? - L'escargot
Spares that are rarely needed will not be as readily available as commonly used spares because they may not be held in stock anywhere, especially if it's not a current design. (It's expensive to have money tied up in rarely-needed spares.) It's possible that the parts you want will have to be ordered from the manufacturer ~ the parts manufacturer that is, which may not be the same company as the car manufacturer. The parts needed for car assembly are usually only made and delivered to the car manufacturer just before they are required. It's known as JIT (just in time) and is for the purposes of cutting costs. These days, nobody has more parts on their premises than they need for the immediate future. Also, parts needed for car assembly may be given a higher priority to those needed for spares.
--
L\'escargot.
Parts on order - how long is reasonable? - Aprilia
6 weeks is not unusual, not even for European cars, never mind Japanese.
Parts on order - how long is reasonable? - LHM
It's known as JIT (just in time) and is for the purpose of cutting costs.

Where I work, it's known as JTL - just too late..... :-)
Parts on order - how long is reasonable? - bell boy
its YBL in my place

youll be lucky .;-)
Parts on order - how long is reasonable? - Altea Ego
we run a "YWIW" system

"you wanted it When?"
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Parts on order - how long is reasonable? - colin-e
I had to wait just 10 days for some parts for my '82 Porsche 928S. Not a bad delay for a model that has been out of production for 23 years!

I don't know about newer vehicles, but for parts that are out of stock here in the UK, I can get them quicker by ordering from the States, rather than wait for local suppliers.

----------------------------------
Colin-E
----------------------------------
Parts on order - how long is reasonable? - Lud
Western Europe and North America are the places where spares are available most promptly and cheaply. In the third world, unless there is a thriving local car industry in which case local products will be available, people have to wait for ages and pay through the nose.

A friend in Nigeria tore the bottom mounting of a wishbone at the end of the pressed and welded steel front crossmember of his Opel Kapitan estate in 1973. The wait for a new crossmember was open-ended and the price high too. An old man and a boy appeared with an oxy welding and brazing kit on a barrow, and the old man reassembled the crossmember around the mounting point out of bits of scrap steel, like a jigsaw. I can't even swear he wasn't brazing it together rather than welding it.

I was sure the repair wouldn't work, but it seemed to. Anyway until next time the owner went off the road at 90 with 14 people in the car, that is. Fortunately I wasn't there when and if that happened.
Parts on order - how long is reasonable? - jc2
With European suppliers VOR(vehicle off-road) should be next day;other than that 3-5 days.
Parts on order - how long is reasonable? - bell boy
With European suppliers VOR(vehicle off-road) should be next day;other than that 3-5 days.

tell that to all the people waiting months for driveshafts for their galaxies a few years back :-(
Parts on order - how long is reasonable? - Lud
tell that to all the people waiting months for driveshafts for their galaxies a few
years back :-(

Made of rhubarb were they bb?
Parts on order - how long is reasonable? - jc2
They are VW after all;I was talking proper manufacturers.