pug 306 engine turns but no action - master breakdown
my 306 has an electrical fault but i cant pinpoint it i've checked all the fuses and had all the relays checked although i get a buzzing from the one that connects the tow bar when i turn certain things on like the lights ect, i cant hear the fuel pump when i turn the engine on anymore i've tried disconnecting the battery but to no avail i was told there was 2 grey wires under the back seat that i should disconnect and reconnect but i cant find them, the engine turns but doesnt catch can anyone help im desperate now thank you for reading this
pug 306 engine turns but no action - Screwloose

Might we at least know the year and engine size/fuel?
sorry was in a rush the year is 1998 s reg 1360 engine and its petrol

So how did it get to this point? Cut out when driving? Non-start after parking overnight? Or after being worked on?

At least check the inertia switch hasn't clicked out.
where's the inertia switch and how do you know its clicked out it just shuddered to a halt in last weekends pouring rain

If you need to ask about an inertia switch, then it's unsafe to suggest any further testing.

Tracing a cut-out-dead problem on a modern engine management will need experience. Do you have a local mechanic or garage etc.?
i do know a mechanic but he is in malta until next week and i am desperate to get my car back on the road as i have job appointments to go to next week is the inertia swith that technical that i cant check it myself

It's mentioned in your handbook; but it's very unlikely to be that given the way that it stopped.

Diagnosis of a complex system is best left to those with experience. You can easily do expensive damage with one simple mistake.

There must be other repairers locally?
ok thank you for your time and advice screwloose i will heed your advice and get a mechanic to have a look at it hopefully its not a major problem and my car will be back on the road asap thank you again graham
Peugeot 306 - start up problem - master breakdown
1998 306 1.4 engine and runs on petrol, does anyone know about the immobiliser?
can my damaged key be affecting the start up? let me know if you need anymore info - not quite sure what is required, thank you

{Subject header amended & I hope you don't mind, but I've added some punctuation to make for easier reading. DD}
pug 306 - start up problem - master breakdown
Is there anyone that can help???
pug 306 - start up problem - Dynamic Dave
In what way is the key damaged?
pug 306 - start up problem - master breakdown
the button you press to open and shut the car, has fell out the fob and is unusable, but the key still works in the door and the ignition
Surely someone can help MB with his 306? Where have all the french car experts disappeared to ;o)
pug 306 - start up problem - RichardW
French car experts we may be, soothsayers we are not....some more info probably required to get a hint at what's (not) going on!
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
pug 306 - start up problem - thomp1983
does it start intermittently or not at all? quick guess, have you had the key apart and lost the transponder chip from inside it?

chris
does it start intermittently or not at all?

I've now merged this post with MB's previous question as they are both related. DD
pug 306 engine turns but no action - Barry_M2
Sorry if this is a bot late, but I had the very same problem and have since fixed it.

The engine would turn and turn and turn but nothing. I was getting sparks at the plugs too.

Ended up being the fuel pump relay that sits on the back of the ECU box (behind the battery).

When you turn the ign switch to ON (withouth turning the engine over) you should hear a low buzzing noise for about 1 second. This is the fuel pump priming.

If you dont hear this, then the relay has failed.

Soon as I replaced this relay, it fired up straight away and its been fine ever since.

Like I said, the relay sits on the back of the ECU box just behind the battery. Its held on with a 10mm bolt and is very easy to replace.

I hope this helps....
no its not to late for the information and thank you for your time we did try a new relay but it didnt change the problem if i prime the fuel injectors by crossing the fuel pump with a live and negative the car will start but if i put the lights on hazards, window wipers, heater it comes to a halt
pug 306 engine turns but no action - Civic8
>>crossing the fuel pump with a live and negative the car will start but if i put the lights on hazards, window wipers, heater it comes to a halt

If I`ve read this correctly, Sounds like a poor/weak battery/alternator problem
i do hope your right, mind if it is the ecu thats broken i found out that it is still under warranty, i had it done the back end of july last year and have it booked in to the same garage so fingers crossed it will be done within the next few days ;)
pug 306 engine turns but no action - Barry_M2
It might even be a poor earth strap.

Any other symptons, or odd behavour? (the car, not you!!).
i had my ECU changed last year and they checked all the electrical circuits for supply and earth and they carried out various wiring and continuity checks they replaced the coil pack and spark plugs the only odd thing is the hazard relay makes a whirring noise when i turn the ignition on to the red light but when i put the lights on it goes off