ABS Warning light on 01 Vauxhall Vectra - Stewie56
I hope someone can help with this! I've had a problem with the ABS warning light on my Vectra (X-reg, Jan 2001) for a long time now. It comes on and goes off randomly. My local Vauxhall dealer has been very unhelpful - every time I take it in (you guessed it!) the light won't come on and they tell me that unless the light is on, there is no error code and thus they can't 'fix' a fault they can't find.

On one occasion they told me that they had found a loose connection on the ABS sensors and that the 'problem' should go away. Then they tried to charge me £30.00 to run a diagnostic, even though the light wasn't on! Have now left the main dealership and am using a local 'approved' garage, but they tell me the same - no light, no error code, no fix.

Is this true? My brother in law reckons that I'm right in thinking that the on-board computer does store error codes and that diagnostics can be run to check out problems even when there is no warning light showing at the time.

What worries me is that I DO have a problem with the ABS that keeps coming and going (what could that be?). Also, I've got an intermittement problem with the engine warning light (engine with a spanner through it) coming on and going off when I switch the engine off and restart. I had this a few years ago, but the garage said it was a connector problem and it did stop after that).

Help!
ABS Warning light on 2001 Vauhall Vectra - movilogo
ECU problems are often most difficult to analyze. Sometimes error code means nothing serious some other times really serious!

I'm not exactly sure about Vauxhalls, but spanner often signals about service due.

Your ABS sensors might be faulty. Don't crib about £30 scanning charge. Looks like Vauxhall is cheaper in this case. Other manufacturers also charge much more for just having an error code scan.

Can you check if ABS is working or not? To do this, find an open area (no other cars/people around), try to do an emergency stop (around 30 mph) and see if ABS kicks in or wheels lock and skid.
ABS Warning light on 2001 Vauhall Vectra - Ruperts Trooper
Vauxhall ECU error codes are stored but only when the fault continues, in other words a 2 second fault will light the dash lamp (for 2 seconds) but not store the code. Vauxhall dealers usually charge £50+ for fault reading, good independent garages are much cheaper.

Check all the connections, from each wheel back to the main loom. Ensure they're free of corrosion and water-tight.
ABS Warning light on 2001 Vauhall Vectra - John S
Ruperts Trooper is correct. When I had an engine management fault on a Vectra, I was advised to drive the car for some time (minimum 15 mins IIRC) with the light on to log the error code. Apparently Vx error codes don't register unless the warning light has been illuminated for some time - presumably to prevent spurious or transient errors from logging.

JS
ABS Warning light on 2001 Vauhall Vectra - Dynamic Dave
I could be wrong, but I don't think ABS fault codes are stored - hence why the garage have said they can only read the fault code if the light is on at the time.

This is *confirmed* by the Topbuzz website, ie, not ALL problems are logged, depends on what system your car has:
www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/abs_codes/abs_codes.htm

If you're mechanically competent, then you could have a go at testing the ABS sensors on the wheels.
www.topbuzz1.carenthusiasts.co.uk/maintenance/test...m

That aside, I previously had an auto gearbox fault with one of my older Vauxhalls and was told the same thing by my dealership. Basically they said that if the light does come on, and if your nearby, call in BUT leave the engine running otherwise we cannot read out the fault code as it's not stored.

ABS Warning light on 2001 Vauhall Vectra - Ruperts Trooper
DD it depends on the age of the Vauxhall.

Cavalier could have autobox codes read.

Late '90s onwards can have ABS codes read by compatible reader, but may depend on model (Astra '98-on is readable).

The OPs 2001 Vectra should be EOBD/OBD2 compatible so autobox and ABS fault codes should be readable.
ABS Warning light on 2001 Vauhall Vectra - Dynamic Dave
RT,

I agree, the ABS / autogearbox fault codes are readable. However, they're not always stored in the ECU memory, and can only be read out if the light is on at the time.