The viability of a diesel? - top turkey
Folk in Birmingham are simple. Any help therefore appreciated.

When looking for a dealer sourced diesel rep mobile with a decent warranty, the typical screen price is £1500 - £2000 more than the petrol variant. So, one needs to work out whether the premium is worth paying and whether the extra will be recouped through lower fuel bills over the life of the car. I'm OK up to this point.

However, If as I suspect, it would take say 3/4 years to recoup this premium, the car in my case will have done the best part of 80k miles and thus may be looking to get replaced. Plus, with diesel engines being more costly to fix in general, I'm finding it hard to see how it is a better financial option than petrol.

Am I missing something here?

--
Top Turkey - the fastest hands in Brum
The viability of a diesel? - local yokel
No, you have got it in one.
The viability of a diesel? - L'escargot
No you have got it in one.

I couldn't have put it better myself.
--
L\'escargot.
The viability of a diesel? - top turkey
Blimey - 2 responses this early on a Saturday? You either are sciving off work or, like me, have early rising children!

Thanks for the clarification guys.

I'm sure, quite rightly, that someone else will be along to say that the driving experience of a diesel is different/better etc.

Cheers!
--
Top Turkey - the fastest hands in Brum
Blimey - 2 responses this early on a Saturday? You either are sciving off work
or like me have early rising children!

Neither. The older you get the less sleep you need, and you just can't wait to get up and start another day. Life is for living.
--
L\'escargot.
You have to take a gamble on a much cheaper diesel, such as a Peugeot/Citroen for about £1,000 to make sensible savings on lower annual mileages. Even then, you could have bought the equivalent petrol model for £300-£500 less, but you should get a payback during year 2.
The viability of a diesel? - LongDriver {P}
There are a lot of ingredients in the pot when you're comparing petrols and diesels.

Fuel consumption
Towing
Torque
Acceleration
Overtaking speed
Price
Resale value
Service interval
Service cost
RFL band
Maintenance costs
etc
The viability of a diesel? - George Porge
The diesel will still be worth more and more sort after when you come to sell it.

Previous car was a Volvo 740 estate paid £400 acheived 24MPG (the fuel gauge was broken so I'd do 250ish miles and brim the tank) on a regular basis, current car Golf TDi estate, paid £2700 3 and a bit years ago, filled up yesterday 49litres and travelled 593 miles, so low fifties is the name of the game and the cars still worth around £1300.

Buy a good late 90s (pre common rail) diesel and if you buy a good one you can't go wrong.
However, to do the calcs properly you have to include the cost of the additional purchase price, as even if you get some of it back on selling the car, that money has still been tied up for the period of ownership.
The viability of a diesel? - jase1
I would be very wary of falling into the trap of assuming a car is going to be worth "X" in 3 years' time anyway -- these back-of-a-fag-packet calculations rarely work out as you expect them to, and as a result I'd be more inclined to take the cheaper car as then you know you *won't* be spending that money you *think* you might get back on the diesel, as you won't have spent it in the first place.

Unless you are doing serious miles, the diesel option is *never* better on cost alone in my experience. Even if you do save on fuel, and you do get some cash back, do you really want to spend £1500 on a 10-year-old car? As Dox says that is the only time the cost savings become apparent, but the idea that a £500 car becomes a £1500 car just because it does a few more miles to the gallon I find ever so slightly absurd. And at your price level, you're looking at the CR diesels in the main which I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

Buy because you like the drive, fine, but don't buy diesel because you think you'll save a few quid -- won't happen.
The viability of a diesel? - midlifecrisis
It would have cost me over £5000 extra to buy the diesel version of my 407 coupe. I travel around 8-9000 miles a year. You do the maths...I drive the 2.2 petrol.
The viability of a diesel? - cheddar
It would have cost me over £5000 extra to buy the diesel version of my
407 coupe. I travel around 8-9000 miles a year. You do the maths...I drive the
2.2 petrol.

Comparing the 2.7 twin turbo V6 and the 2.2 petrol is not really like for like, that being said the 2.7 would hold its value well and be more economical.

I have done nearly 120,000 miles in my TDCi over 5 years, in which time it has saved me around £4000 in fuel costs compared with say a 2.0 petrol and perhaps £5000 over the 6cyl I drove before.

You do the maths ........
The viability of a diesel? - machika
I have driven petrol version of the C5 and, compared with our 2.2 HDI automatic, the most noticeable difference, is what they are like at motorway speeds. The HDI is much more relaxed and quieter. More overtaking oomph too.
The viability of a diesel? - GregSwain
For anyone who only covers an average annual mileage it's not worth it. We've had this debate several times before, and as a 10k-a-year driver, petrol suits me fine. I like the non-agricultural engine-note, the relative simplicity of the engines, and the fact that they're cheaper and often available at good discounts because nobody else can do the maths! I buy a car to keep till it goes bang, so depreciation isn't a problem but repair bills on an out-of-warranty car are.
The viability of a diesel? - pendulum
I switched from a 1.25 Petrol to a 1.9TD, annual milage about 12-15,000 a year. It's about the same in terms of cost. The road tax is dearer but the fuel economy is better. Performance about the same. I am sure it levels out.

There is talk however of the Government not taxing fuel producers for producing under a certain number of litres a year, C&E have confirmed there will be an announcement soon. If so then this will be great for me, I can just pour veggie oil straight in at 56p/litre, as the engine/injection pump is good for it. The saving will be big then. I could do that right now but it wouldn't be legal as I'm not registered.

The viability of a diesel? - Mchenry
Why do people quote annual mileage when discussing the economics of running a diesel? Surely the figure should be the miles you do in the car while it is in your possession. Whether you do 70000 in 2 years or 6 makes no difference to the calculations.
The viability of a diesel? - MichaelR
I saved about £3000 buying the 3 litre petrol model instead of the 3 litre diesel model. It will take years for the savings to have come through with a diesel, I don't care about the resale value, and the petrol one makes a good noise.
The viability of a diesel? - nick
And you don't look as though you've elected a new pope every time you put your foot down ;-)
The viability of a diesel? - Cliff Pope
And you don't look as though you've elected a new pope every time you put
your foot down ;-)

I am a new pope every time I put my foot down.
I don't care about the resale value and the petrol one makes a good
noise.

So whats the point of contributing to this thread?
I don't care about the resale value and the petrol one makes a good
>> noise.
>>
So whats the point of contributing to this thread?

To express my opinion on the merits of saving yourself a big pile of cash and not falling for the 'diesel = cheap' line.

What was your point?

{SNIP - why quote everything to which you're replying to, when "in reply to xxx" or quoting just a small part of the message is so much tidier? - DD}
What was your point?

I made my point above, it was about the viability of a diesel, what was yours about? Saving cash by buying a large engined petrol car because it makes a nice noise and has little resale value, you've convinced me and I'm going to ring the Trader first thing on Tuesday to rid ourselves of two diesel money pits. V8s are the way to go for economical motoring..................Vrm, vrm, screech, vrm

The viability of a diesel? - Blue {P}
I saved about £3000 buying the 3 litre petrol model instead of the 3 litre
diesel model. It will take years for the savings to have come through with a
diesel I don't care about the resale value and the petrol one makes a good
noise.

Yes, that engine noise is sooooo worth it, absoloutely fabulous, and blows a diesel clean out of the water :-)

What sort of mileage do you get from the 530i then?

Blue
What sort of mileage do you get from the 530i then?

It's actually nothing short of staggering for the sort of car it is - a long motorway trip with the cruise set to an indicated 75mph, 70mph true speed on the GPS will return over 37mpg and equates to a tank range of almost 600 miles. In more day to day non-town driving, I see an average of about 32mpg, but drive it short trips around town and it's predictably rubbish at 20-22mpg.

Thrap it down some tasty A/B roads, and you'll see around 25mpg.

FWIW it would appear our 530d returns approximately 5-8mpg more average per given situation when compared with the 530i.
miles. In more day to day non-town driving I see an average of about 32mpg
but drive it short trips around town and it's predictably rubbish at 20-22mpg.

I have a feeling that I would see mileage like that, I got 24mpg from my 323, most of my driving is twisty roads and city streets, so I really hammer the fuel tank!

Blue
The viability of a diesel? - pendulum
Why do people quote annual mileage when discussing the economics of running a diesel? Surely
the figure should be the miles you do in the car while it is in
your possession.

Nitpick of the Year?

I stated annual mileage because I can work the cost out for that, then multiply it by how many years I intend to keep the car.
The viability of a diesel? - GregSwain
Whether you do 70000 in 2 years or 6 makes no difference to
the calculations.

Why not? One's still covering more distance than the other in a given timeframe. If the mileage I covered meant I wouldn't see a return on the premium I'd paid to buy a diesel until it was 5 years old, but I'd sold it after 3 years, it wouldn't be worth it. If however I covered sufficient miles during my 3 year ownership to offset the additional cost, it would be worth it. Obviously once you factor in residual values the mileage I need to cover is less as a diesel will sell on for more. Not a difficult concept to grasp surely.
The viability of a diesel? - madf
I would not buy another petrol car as my driving lifestyle (short journeys) kills petrol engines.. as both my wife and I have proved over a lifetime:-)
madf
The viability of a diesel? - flunky
However If as I suspect it would take say 3/4 years to recoup this premium
the car in my case will have done the best part of 80k miles and
thus may be looking to get replaced. Plus with diesel engines being more costly to
fix in general I'm finding it hard to see how it is a better financial
option than petrol.

Not sure.

A 1-year-old Accord is £2k more for the 2.2 cdti vs. the 2.0i

The 2.0 petrol does 35mpg combined
The 2.2 diesel does 52mpg combined

Over 80,000 miles this is 1540 gallons for the diesel, and 2,285 gallons for the petrol.

Petrol costs 96.5p/litre, diesel costs 97.1p/litre (source petrolprices.com)
THis is £4.39/gallon vs. £4.41 gallon

That is £10,031 for the petrol vs. £6,791 for the diesel

A difference of £3,240.

Adding in the higher resale value of the diesel at 4 years old, you are about £2,000 better-off.

This is on a 17mpg difference. If the difference was substantially smaller, then the economics would be different
The viability of a diesel? - Altea Ego
Diesel makes complete and absolute sense when its a company car. And it has to be said, for a leased car. The money savings (including BiK) are huge.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
The viability of a diesel? - nortones2
Very much depends on the depreciation: What Car have comprehensive listings of costs per mile (depreciation, fuel etc all included) and lease costs. For the Golf, comparing the 2.0FSI petrol to the 2.0 diesel, the costs for the diesel are quite a bit lower. For the Passat, there's not much in it. So, you certainly don't have to do astronomical miles per year to justify diesel on cost grounds, unless you are so strongly in favour of petrol engines that the cost is outweighed by the benefit to you. If I were doing as many miles as I used to, I'd prefer diesel simply, not least because of the greater range between refueling.
The viability of a diesel? - David Horn
I would say that once you've got over the initial price difference, it's a completely personal thing as to whether you love or hate the diesel driving characteristics. I love having a huge great whack of power available from 2000-4000rpm, but there's a lot to be said for a petrol car that's virtually silent on the motorway.
The viability of a diesel? - 659FBE
I tow a heavy 2 axle trailer - the sort of thing most people would pull with an SUV. This type of vehicle is not acceptable to me and in any event I do not need more than one driven axle.

A large saloon does the job perfectly well (and is far more comfortable) but to obtain satisfactory perfomance whilst towing, I'd need a 3 litre petrol engine. A 1.9 litre turbocharged diesel gives me the equivalent towing performance and 45 mpg economy unhitched - no contest.

Driven over 100,000 miles behind VAG diesels in Audi 80, and Passat. I was happy with the cars, quiet cruising on Mways, the fuel consumption (over 50mpg) but less so with the dealer! Honda 2.0 petrol power at present, but only because their diesels were Isuzo lumps when I was buying.
The viability of a diesel? - TurboD
Many are all missing the point
It is the repairs that cost the money with a diesel
Common rail pump
Intercooler
particulate filter
variable vane turbo
etc

none of this crap in a petrol- but nicer engine

Diesels are fine in dumper trucks/refuse loories
not in passenger cars

Unles of course someone else pays these bills- then great
or you sell it out of guarantee.

I've had some- and learnt

The only engine trouble I've ever had was with a petrol engine - so unless you want to swap meaningless anecdotes, please refer to data to show, if you can, that diesels cost more to own than petrol. No diesels exist with a common rail pump and a variable vane turbo:) Turbos rarely fail, and the VVT device is easily cleaned: garages may make a mint out of changing them when its a hose misplaced, but thats dealerships taking advantage. As for "Diesels are fine in dumper trucks/refuse loories" - I disagree. 50% of users in europe drive diesel passenger cars, which are quieter than petrol at speed.
The viability of a diesel? - cheddar
Common rail pump
Intercooler
particulate filter
variable vane turbo
etc

As per above my diesel has saved me 4 to 5 grand in fuel costs, that buys a lot in the way of repairs.

The viability of a diesel? - J Bonington Jagworth
I think you can broadly divide the readers of this forum into those who like diesels and those who prefer petrol (to put it politely). As with Marmite, there doesn't seem to be much middle ground, so your choice will probably hinge more on how you feel on that subject than on plain economics.

I realise that there are people who don't care what makes their car go, as long as it does, but I doubt that there are many reading this.

Personally, I think Rudolph Diesel should have been burned at the stake, but don't let me influence you... :-)
The viability of a diesel? - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
Personally I think Rudolph Diesel should have been burned at the stake but don't let
me influence you... :-)

As should the designers of the many petrol engines whose rough edges and lack of refinement can rival any diesel.
The viability of a diesel? - OldHand
It's simple, if you're the kind of person who likes to save their pennies buy a diesel. Otherwise buy the most powerful petrol engined car you can afford.

My take on this issue is that unless you drive intergalactic mileages then a nice big petrol engine is the way to go. Pretty soon you won't be able to own these cars and they are nearly always better specification, lower mileage and not likely to have been owned by a taxi driver or some rep who bounces it off the (pitifully low) rev limit on a daily basis.

I've owned and driven some of the 'best' diesel engined cars and I found them lacking in one important area- fun.

Please note I'm not comparing mass market boxes like Mondeos, 406s or C5s rather the difference between say a 540 E39 and it's comparitively rather sad 6 cylinder diesel counterpart. The oil burner isn't in the same league, yet you can find a much better 540 of a similar year for less cash.

To use a sickeningly transantlantic nonsense phrase I've seen used on this thread:-

"You do the math"
Yes, but you have to thrash a petrol to get any performance out of it. The most powerful petrol car I've driven is a Honda Accord 2.0i, which has (apparently!) 156bhp. But to get from 70 to 85 in a hurry on the motorway requires the automatic gearbox to change into 3rd. It's got none of the pull that my diesel has when it's on boost - which is another thing, since a diesel accelerates the same once the turbo is spooled up whether the accelerator is half pushed or flat to the floor. Pushing it further simply changes the final speed you end up at.
The viability of a diesel? - jase1
I've said it before and I'll say it again -- you cannot compare a NA petrol with a turboed diesel.

For a fair comparison, you must take the Honda engine as an example against the 2.0SDi VAG unit, which is horrendously slow.

Or, compare a 2.2 Turbo diesel engine with the 2.0-litre turbocharged lump they put in a Subaru Impreza.

There is one reason and one reason only to buy a diesel and that is economy.
The viability of a diesel? - PhilW
Common rail pump
Intercooler
particulate filter
variable vane turbo
etc

You know what, I've owned carpy, unreliable, French diesels since since 1997, about half a million miles and the only repair I've had on an engine is "you need a couple of new glowplugs sir" - so I did them myself in half an hour one Sunday morning - cost about £20.

What is

Common rail pump
Intercooler
particulate filter
variable vane turbo
etc

Never heard of them.

Good old Xantia HDi, you will be the fourth unreliable diesel I've had in 10 years that has never had the engine touched in 100k if you last another few miles, still got a way to go to beat that 170k BX. Oh, and that 140k other BX and that previous 100k Xantia that never had anything done to the engine except the occasional oil and filter change to keep you happy. And what's that you say? All bought second hand and never averaged less than 45mpg?
Nay lad, can't be true. Should have bought petrol.

--
Phil
The viability of a diesel? - PhilW
"ou know what, I've owned carpy, unreliable, French diesels since since 1997, "

Or should I say 1987
--
Phil
The viability of a diesel? - OldHand
Personally I wasn't talking about relatively torque-free low powered engines hamstrung by auto boxes in a mundane car but I take your point.

Perhaps in the world of 'cardboard' motoring a diesel powered motor makes more sense.......sounds awfully boring to me though. Personally I hated my diesel cars, found their handling compromised by having so much weight over their nose and the fact you couldn't 'thrash' them for more performance removed one of the greatest pleasures in motoring.

The viability of a diesel? - DP
I think it depends what type of car you're talking about.

On a sports car, or one which is constantly driven hard, a petrol engine will reward more than a diesel with its crisper responses, and its ability to rev. OldHand also raises a valid point about the compromise that the diesel engine's weight imposes. I have yet to drive a diesel where this wasn't the case. For a toy, or a pure drivers car, you cannot beat a petrol engine.

But on day to day runabouts and for carting the kids about, I prefer diesel power, partly because modern diesels are so good, and partly because modern "family car" four cylinder petrol engines have all the character and gusto of a lump of plywood. Many modern petrol engines vary between indifferent and horrible. They're gutless at the bottom, tolerable in the middle, and so breathless and castrated at the top end. Also, the extra 2,000 RPM rev capability that diesel bashers constantly harp on about might as well be for decoration only. What was the last mass market petrol engine that you redlined and thought "Wow, that was worth it!"? A diesel might be flawed with its limited rev range, but at least it gives you genuine, often eye opening grunt over most of it. Most modern four pot petrols do not.

Of course you have the screaming VTEC / VVTLi stuff which is incredile when driven as intended, but to do so would be something you'd need to be insane to consider with kids in the car. Virtually all forced induction petrol engines, apart from usually being installed in performance cars (see my first point), are ruinously expensive to run if driven anything like as intended.

Just my fourpenneth.

Cheers
DP
Yes, that is true - I'd forgotten what it was like to have another 3000 usable RPM for overtaking. It was very nippy if you held it in 2nd gear, but didn't half drink petrol.
I've deicded that petrol is only worth it if the engine has a lot of grunt, I'm missing my BMW sorely for it's terrific overtaking capabilities thanks to the effortless smooth power that the 2.5 litre engine delivered. the MG is proving a lot more fun, but when I'm stuck behind someobody I find it much more difficult to find a safe overtaking position, in the BMW it was easy! :-)

Blue
The viability of a diesel? - JohnX
Ok I would let hard facts speak for myself...

My experience from changing from Petrol to Diesel

Average 20000 miles a year

Current car VW Passat Diesel 1.9 TDI with 130 bhp! returns approx 55mpg

Prev car Nissan Almera Petrol 1.6 average mileage 35mpg

Hence over 20000 miles per annum with an average price of 99p/litre for diesel and 96p/L for petrol

Equates to (Ill leave out the boring math)

Passat=1651 Litres diesel at 0.99 p/litre= Cost 1635 pounds

Almera =2597 Litres petrol at 0.96 p/litre=Cost 2493 pounds

Balance in pocket at the end of year=2493-1635= 858

Since I bought it from an auction I paid 4000 pounds less than the trade price so the price differential hasnt been an issue and i would loose a minimal amount in depreciation.

Diesels rock!

The viability of a diesel? - TrevL
Agree with previous posters that it is largely down to choice, my experience is that there is not a lot of difference in running costs. I had been running diesel cars for the best part of twenty years and special discounts pointed me towards petrol version offers. Again as others state the reliability and soundness of some of the older design diesels are first class, my last VW 1.9D (N/A) is going fine after 200k + miles with no problems at all. The exact mileage is difficult to determine as everytime I see the young lady who now owns it, she smiles and wonders why old blokes ask daft irrelevant questions; it goes, what else do you need to know? I'm not too sure that some of the newer designs will be as robust hearing from friends in the business.

I now have a Fiat 1.4 16v which is a super small petrol engine and does around 44mpg compared to the 52mpg from the diesel, so as I say costs are similar, and the petrol engine is a bit zippier and quieter...so it's down to choice.
What Car? magazine gives the cost per mile (excluding insurance) and the total cost of ownership (including insurance) calculated over three years (36,000 miles) for every car, and diesel versions work out cheapest.

However ............ I'm only telling you what What Car? concludes about the cost. There's more to owning a car than the cost, and I remain a confirmed petrolhead.
--
L\'escargot.
The viability of a diesel? - Avant
"I've decided that petrol is only worth it if the engine has a lot of grunt"

I think that's right, 'grunt' being I presume a more expressive way of saying 'torque'. There are some good petrol engines around which have plenty of grunt low-down, the Golf GTI / Octavia vRS unit being a case in point, as opposed to, say, Hondas wher it all heppens at the top end.

If I didn't do 20,000 miles a year I could well go back to petrol: there is no doubt in my mind, that whatever the actual torque figure, SWMBO's petrol Mini One 1.6 has more Grunt than my diesel Mercedes B200.
When Rolls Royce and Bentley decide it is OK for them to fit diesels in their cars then I will consider having a diesel.
--
L\'escargot.
The viability of a diesel? - daveyjp
Bentley do it's called a VW Phaeton :-)
I think that's right 'grunt' being I presume a more expressive way of saying
'torque'. There are some good petrol engines around which have plenty of grunt low-down the
Golf GTI / Octavia vRS unit being a case in point as opposed to say
Hondas wher it all heppens at the top end.

At the risk of becoming boring ............... if you're going to compare the torque of different cars (assuming the same rolling radius of the tyres) the thing which matters is torque at the wheels. Since diesels are higher geared than petrols the proportion of engine torque that you get at the wheels is lower with a diesel than with a petrol. I blame motoring journalists for promoting this obsession with engine torque at the expense of ignoring gearing.
--
L'escargot.
The viability of a diesel? - peterb
"Low down grunt" is irrelevent if you have a decent Autobox.